It's cold only in Minnesota??

DL65

Reaction score
As I write this post shortly before 9 a.m., it's 14 degrees in southcentral Iowa (35 miles southeast of Des Moines) and it's 11 degrees in Minneapolis. Great difference, right?

The overblown topic of cold weather Minnesota is again appearing on the message boards in Iowa and elsewhere. Discussions include how it's going to be cold in the Gophers new stadium in late November. Not surprisingly, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune has a story about the Dome and how many players from the south (including Rickie Foggie) wouldn't have considered playing for Minnesota if it weren't for the Dome. That may very well be true for some recruits; however, Iowa City Madison, East Lansing, Chicago, etc. are not exactly balmy sites, and today's current temperatures illustrate that fact. And they seem to be able to recruit players from Florida, Texas, California, et. Oddly, some Iowa fans, having bought into the false perception of cold weather Minnesota, are projecting how cold it's going to be in late November. I have the answer for the recruits and the fanbases of the other Big 10 schools: About the same temperature as it will be in Iowa City and Madison, Wisconsin and other Great Lakes states on gameday.

Football was meant to be played outside in the elements.

Go Gophers!!

As I write this post shortly before 9 a.m., it's 14 degrees in southcentral Iowa (35 miles southeast of Des Moines) and it's 11 degrees in Minneapolis. Great difference, right?

The overblown topic of cold weather Minnesota is again appearing on the message boards in Iowa and elsewhere. Discussions include how it's going to be cold in the Gophers new stadium in late November. Not surprisingly, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune has a story about the Dome and how many players from the south (including Rickie Foggie) wouldn't have considered playing for Minnesota if it weren't for the Dome. That may very well be true for some recruits; however, Iowa City Madison, East Lansing, Chicago, etc. are not exactly balmy sites, and today's current temperatures illustrate that fact. And they seem to be able to recruit players from Florida, Texas, California, et. Oddly, some Iowa fans, having bought into the false perception of cold weather Minnesota, are projecting how cold it's going to be in late November. I have the answer for the recruits and the fanbases of the other Big 10 schools: About the same temperature as it will be in Iowa City and Madison, Wisconsin and other Great Lakes states on gameday.

Go Gophers!!

I know an ex-player from one of the Wacker teams.

He's from Florida.

He liked the dome and said no way-no how would he have come here without it. When I reminded him that he would have only had to play in the freezing cold (in Minnesota) about 6-8 times over his career, he said he never thought of it that way.

If he would have said, "no way man, it's too cold there, I don't like walking to class in the freezing cold," I would have given him credit for it. Any player complaining about game day cold is being foolish. Any player complaining about everyday life-cold is being honest.

I highly doubt the weather will be a major factor in the up-coming years--at least I hope not.

And I would also like to remind everyone that if you go ANYWHERE in the Big Ten, you WILL play in the cold. Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Madison, Iowa City, are no picnic in November. (which always has me wondering what would happen if a high and mighty SEC team came up to play one of these schools in the later part of the year?)

Another thing to remind top recruits is that there really isn't any such thing as a warm weather NFL team. Even Miami has to go to Buffalo and San Diego visits Denver. You might as well get used to it in college if you want to go to the next level.

Predicted game time high's this weekend: Ohio St. 32, Penn St. 32, NorthWestern 34, Purdue 37, Minnesota 37....bottom line if they will go to Penn St and Ohio St I'm pretty sure they will come here.

As Dick Ruppert said

To a reporter in Lincoln as he arrived from California it was 28 degrees and a winds of of about 45 miles an hour. When the reporter ask well, how do you like Lincoln? Rupper said, I came here to play football.

Game weather

Last weekend - I would rather have played in Minneapolis than in Baltimore, or Ann Arbor. MN has never had a game canceled or postponed for a hurricane.

The NCAA should take control of bowl level football. Make the sunny weather teams prove themselves in one game after Oct 17 and before conference championship games. It would help balance some of the finances. Can you imagine LSU having to pay $$$ for a late season non-conference ROAD game?

The whole thing about the dome helping to recruit kids from the south has always been dumb to me. Obviously, other Big Ten schools get these kids which should say one thing. If the players are really so afraid of playing outside why didn't the Gophers demand that they would only have home games in November? The players that say they wouldn't come to MN without the dome still have to go on the road to places like Madison or Iowa City in November. Further, The Gopher Way is nice to have at the U but its not like you can get around campus without going outside. Unless they put a big white dome over the campus the players are still going to have to be students that walk outside to class in January & February.

Heck, the last recruiting class and the current crop of verbal commitments have a lot of guys from the south that already realize they will be playing outdoor next year. The whole discussion is just stupid.

Go Gophers!!

add south bend indiana,

I would much rather play in cold temps than 90 degree heat and 95% humidity anyday. Those are butal conditions could kill someone! Yet the media and mindset always gets wrapped up in the colder climates.

In my experience, I have friends around the country that call or email to ask how I am doing in the arctic cold. When I tell them that it's 15-20 degrees here, they say that they saw that it was 40 below in Minnesota. I have to tell them that it is that cold - in Tower or Ely or International Falls, but not here in St Paul.
Watching the MN/WI game last Saturday and the IA/PSU game a couple of weeks ago, that looked like a lot of fun. You Gopher fans are really going to enjoy the new stadium - I don't need to tell that to those of you who remember life before the Metrodome.

NFL

Don't look me in the eye and say its cold in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin or Michigan and then say you want to play in the NFL in the same sentance.

You will play in one, maybe two cold games in the Big Ten and nothing like the NFL that plays in late November, December and January.

I'm sorry but playing in 35 degrees is NOT cold. The NFL playoffs will play in zero degree temps and usually in November in the Big Ten is 30-40 degrees. Big deal.

I was in Camp Randall last weekend and it was 34 and awesome!!!

warm

By the way, when it was 70 degrees here for about a week straigh two weeks ago...a warm front covered the upper midwest. Now a cold front has done the same.

To me the 50-70 weather Minneapolis gets in October is ideal for football. Cool at night but warm under the sun's shine which means it is great for game time. The Nov. 1 homecoming game against Northwestern would have been absolutely perfect and that day I remember being mad that we weren't in the new stadium. In HS I hated two-a-days in August and I couldn't imagine doing it in Texas. If there is a wind in late November it is cold for fans but as a player the weather is fine because running around in pads keeps you pretty warm. My rule of thumb is that if it's not cold enough for snow to stick on the ground it is not cold enough to complain. The current front is the coldest that I remember Minneapolis in November in the last few years but it is the wind more than the cold that is annoying.

In the past 25 years or so, how often do you think the outside temperature has been below 45 at game-time when the Gophers have been at home? I'm guessing on average it's once per year. For a certain player to say he wouldn't have come here if we played outside is dumb considering the dome only "saved" them from playing in the cold about 4 times in their entire college career.

I, unfortunately, have to live in Iowa among the hawkeyes, and think its so funny when they say "I can't believe you're builing and outdoor stadium." The temperature difference between IA City and Minneapolis in october and november is probably no more than 5-6 degrees most days.

starting to wonder about the toughness of some.....

whether it be football players or football fans. growing up when i was in mites for hockey (this was before every youth team seemed to both practice AND play indoors) we were outside all of the time. even when i was in traveling "A" bantams on a pretty high-profile metro area team our coach would sometimes make us practice outside after junior high got out for the day - just so we had more on-ice time together. i am talking in january/february. it wasn't great, but we certainly didn't complain and it certainly didn't kill us. if a football player or football fan can't handle a little 30-40 degree weather in november then they don't deserve to be called either.

:D

It was something like 25 degrees with a 15 mph wind in my last high school game. I loved every minute of it.

Last home game in Nov is fun

When I was there at Memorial Stadium our last game was always Wiscy. Every other year the game was in Mpls and we looked forward to see if you could get a snow ball to mid field, down a refs back or into one of the giant speakers that sat around the sidelines. Don't get to do that in Miami (FL).

Top Bottom