It's all good for WI starting LB who was busted twice this summer, once for going 117 mph, once for DWI, (also got warrant in MI cleared)

I couldn’t care less if a college student is found with a “small amount” of marijuana like the article states. I also don’t believe a speeding ticket or a DUI should disqualify someone from playing college football. He showed poor judgement like most of us did at that age. I don’t care.

He’s lucky. New Badgers policy is that you kind of maybe sort of possibly get in trouble if you are cited for driving over 120 mph. Depends on where you are on the depth chart. 😏 At 117 mph, the kid just squeaked by. His three recent infractions wouldn’t even be noticed on the Georgia Bulldogs. Fickell is quickly building his “culture” at WI. It ain’t going to be PJ’s.

I couldn’t care less if a college student is found with a “small amount” of marijuana like the article states. I also don’t believe a speeding ticket or a DUI should disqualify someone from playing college football. He showed poor judgement like most of us did at that age. I don’t care.
You'd be cool with the Gophers driving around town at 117mph? DWI? No biggie that he's endangering the lives of those around him?

I agree about the pot. The other ones concern me more. The disqualification, as I understand it
is not permanent. Going that fast and drunken driving put others at great risk. Suspend him for a few games and let him think about what he has done. I don’t care if a lot of other people have done those same stupid and immature things.

Yes and no. There's a difference between bad judgement and recklessness. The 117 mph along with the multiple infractions looks a lot more like the latter.

Don't think anyone would say he should be tossed in jail or kicked off the team for stuff like this but I don't know maybe at least a half game suspension of some kind during a crappy non-conf game to give the impression there are some consequences for multiple instances of really poor judgement.... :)

I'm sure he really learned his lesson during that June suspension during that vital time of year when there are no practices or meetings going on.

Don't think anyone would say he should be tossed in jail or kicked off the team for stuff like this but I don't know maybe at least a half game suspension of some kind during a crappy non-conf game to give the impression there are some consequences for multiple instances of really poor judgement.... :)

I'm sure he really learned his lesson during that June suspension during that vital time of year when there are no practices or meetings going on.
Maybe it was double secret probation!

Gee whiz. I guess committing a crime is ok if you’re somebody. Always hiding under “poor judgement” makes you…a Hunter.

Don't think anyone would say he should be tossed in jail or kicked off the team for stuff like this
Getting a DUI three weeks after going 117 mph? I think being kicked off the team should be under consideration. On the nothing to getting kicked off the team spectrum, I would hope the response would be closer to the latter.

Elsewhere in the division, Rhule kicked a coach off his staff for getting a DUI. I give credit to him for upholding a standard.

Please tell me you are not in a position of authority...

He shouldn't be kicked off the team, but a suspension is not only warranted, it is likely needed. And not some lame suspension during the summer either.

No worse than running a train on a girl

Wow. A blast from the distant past, referencing an incident during a previous coaching regime.

You know, I am having trouble remembering, but weren't there multiple player suspensions involved in that one? Yeah, it seems there were... key players suspended for a bowl game, if memory serves. It's a long time ago, so it's a little foggy. And then, after that... were there any actual criminal prosecutions that followed? I can't recall. Long time ago.

Please bring us all up to speed!

Wow. A blast from the distant past, referencing an incident during a previous coaching regime.

You know, I am having trouble remembering, but weren't there multiple player suspensions involved in that one? Yeah, it seems there were... key players suspended for a bowl game, if memory serves. It's a long time ago, so it's a little foggy. And then, after that... were there any actual criminal prosecutions that followed? I can't recall. Long time ago.

Please bring us all up to speed!
Me thinks you're replying to someone who is more of a badger man than a Gopher man!

every school and every team is going to have its own rules. that's always been the case.

but today, with social media, etc, it's a lot harder to keep incidents covered up. and the traditional media is (probably) less likely to be complicit in covering up questionable behavior by athletes.

I am fairly certain that there was a lot of stuff taking place in the 'good old days' that we never heard about - at MN and every other B1G school.

at least today we hear about most of it. and in the wake of Northwestern, I think schools are going to be under more scrutiny.

Getting a DUI three weeks after going 117 mph? I think being kicked off the team should be under consideration. On the nothing to getting kicked off the team spectrum, I would hope the response would be closer to the latter.

Elsewhere in the division, Rhule kicked a coach off his staff for getting a DUI. I give credit to him for upholding a standard.
It's not like speeding or getting a DUI could have killed anybody. I feel like everybody here is overreacting

On one hand, I understand this sentiment, and I’m certainly happy that I didn’t have a microscope on me at that age.

On the other, this is clearly a pattern for this person and if he didn’t stop after the first time he was caught then I doubt that he’s going to until he faces real consequences.

Stories like this are why I like Fleck’s ‘opt in’ culture. He’s not okay with this and you know that when you sign up. But if you’re not going to hold young people to a standard then they are going to do stupid things.

So should the Vikings rookie WR also get kicked off the team for driving in excess of 115mph?

Are you just going to ignore the other part of the issue that makes what the Sconnie player did different from what the Vikings rookie did?

If the Vikings WR was caught drunk driving then yes he should be disciplined and it should not be a slap on the wrist in the offseason.

Keep trying though you are almost approaching a valid point on this one. It works better though if someone actually says he should be kicked off the team though. Most of us said nothing of the kind. Those pesky facts...

Top Bottom