Itll happen. Wonder where the gophers end up?

Agree, and is the reason i doubt it'll happen.
Hoping you’re right.

The Athletic mentioned that college football has had the highest increase inTV viewership in the last 5 years @28%. The NFL is the next closest st 8%.

The “product” is fine and doesn’t need a major facelift&; 12 team playoff will bring in copious amounts of cash and still protecting its legacy. I’m fine with expanding the playoffs.

The logistical hurdles of it being like the premier league will preclude it from being like soccer. I could see more “divisions” developing, but strongly doubt they’ll move up and down rather than be static

Hoping you’re right.

The Athletic mentioned that college football has had the highest increase inTV viewership in the last 5 years @28%. The NFL is the next closest st 8%.

The “product” is fine and doesn’t need a major facelift&; 12 team playoff will bring in copious amounts of cash and still protecting its legacy. I’m fine with expanding the playoffs.
The NFL works because everyone has an even chance and a team to pull for. The above option takes away most of that for fans.

it's a two-sided coin.

on the one side, if the top 30 or so programs broke off into their own Super League, then schools like MN would wind up in the next division. so it could have a 'minor league' feel to it.

but, on the other side, it could also create a more level playing field if you eliminate the helmet schools. MN could be playing in a division with teams operating under similar budgets and agreeing to abide by common rules on NIL, etc. That in turn could make for fair competition. The question is what teams in the division would be playing for? would there be a playoff system or just bowl games?

another question - would FCS continue to exist or be folded into the new division?

the devil is in the details.

That article is from the middle of August. Stewart Mandel has been pushing hard for a 12 team playoff and super conferences for a couple of years now. He's backed off quite a bit after The Athletic found out that College Football fans outside of the SEC and a handful of other schools don't have the same burning desire for it that the national media does.

Hopefully Mandel can soon join most of his former colleagues at The Athletic who are already unemployed.

it's a two-sided coin.

on the one side, if the top 30 or so programs broke off into their own Super League, then schools like MN would wind up in the next division. so it could have a 'minor league' feel to it.

but, on the other side, it could also create a more level playing field if you eliminate the helmet schools. MN could be playing in a division with teams operating under similar budgets and agreeing to abide by common rules on NIL, etc. That in turn could make for fair competition. The question is what teams in the division would be playing for? would there be a playoff system or just bowl games?

another question - would FCS continue to exist or be folded into the new division?

the devil is in the details.
Equity

Don’t know and honestly don’t care.
If/when thst happens, I’m done for good.

I’m not nearly as diehard as I was even three years ago.

Their greed will ruin it in the end.
If it happens, I can't say I'd be done for good, good.
Who knows when?, but some day down the road on some fall Saturday morning I may impulsively decide to drive down to the newly named KrisLindahl.com Stadium, pull into a front row space in the Gold Lot 20 minutes before kickoff, whip out my phone and order a ticket at the 50-yard-line - 8th row (shade side for hot days; sunny side for chilly days). I'll wear some silly sunglasses or something so I'm an easy target for the jumbotron cameraman.

but, on the other side, it could also create a more level playing field if you eliminate the helmet schools. MN could be playing in a division with teams operating under similar budgets and agreeing to abide by common rules on NIL, etc. That in turn could make for fair competition.

So, sort of like an entire conference/league that would be like the Big Ten West. I'm for it!

That article is from the middle of August. Stewart Mandel has been pushing hard for a 12 team playoff and super conferences for a couple of years now. He's backed off quite a bit after The Athletic found out that College Football fans outside of the SEC and a handful of other schools don't have the same burning desire for it that the national media does.

Hopefully Mandel can soon join most of his former colleagues at The Athletic who are already unemployed.
Mandel is a clown. In a media landscape filled with those who see a few prestige schools at the top and ignore all others, he stands out as the most CFP-obsessed of them all.

Weird for someone who went to Northwestern

If they end up the same spot as Iowa and Wisconsin. I’ll watch that spot and not other spots

If they don’t, I won’t really watch any spot

28 teams? It's a bold move to slash over 3/4 of your customers and expect the pie to get bigger.

If I were a media exec I would buy the leftovers package and sell it to the fans of the 100+ schools nationwide who got left out, some of whom would be instant title contenders like Minnesota.

Folks just want to see their team play. All college football is minor league and even the College Football Premier Grand Poobah would get dominated by the Kansas City Chiefs.

Don’t know and honestly don’t care.
If/when thst happens, I’m done for good.

I’m not nearly as diehard as I was even three years ago.

Their greed will ruin it in the end.
A lot of those 28 teams and their fan base front runner types don’t have the ego-strength and humility to stand not being a front-runner. Do fans of tOSU, Alabama, Michigan, Oklahoma, USC, PSU, FSU, LSU, Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas, and all the other usual suspects want to be subjected to not being in the top 25?

The very idea of a 28 super team conference would start taking the “brand-name” status so many of teams have right now away from many of them.

Can you imagine an 8 loss Notre Dame team? What about a 9 loss Texas A & M?
Too much risk for too many teams.

Besides that, the billionaire franchise owners like things just the way they are now!

Last edited:

Others have said it well so I’ll be brief. I’d be joining the masses and finding a new activity if the Gophers were no longer in college football’s top level.

Watch those network contracts shrivel when only 30 fan bases care.

The top teams split off, certain major schools that aren't used to losing suddenly never have seasons over .500 anymore and lose their allure.

The teams in the bottom/middle rekindle regional rivalries and the pageantry related to college football and draw all the crowds. The top league is left as some sort of NFL Minor League, the top schools start losing money and get stuck in legal hell with bad contracts.

Minnesota wins the new National Title.

For those wondering the Big Ten teams in this new division would be Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa along with new Big Ten teams (still feels weird saying it) USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington.

Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa would be bottom feeders in this layout with little to no chance to compete with all the helmet schools.

Honestly, if something like this did happen I would be glad to see Minnesota not end up in the break off group but it would be a shame to lose our top rivals.

That said, if some sort of split does happen I don't really see a world where we don't end up in whatever division Wisconsin and Iowa end up in.

The NFL works because everyone has an even chance and a team to pull for. The above option takes away most of that for fans.
If the NFL draft worked the way college recruiting worked, the Superbowl Champ would get the first 7 picks in the draft. The Superbowl runner-up would get the next 7, and on and on until the worst team in the league gets the last 7 picks....

In this scenario the NFL would never have succeeded and is what is going to cause college football to cease its existence as we know it..

Similar rules which level the playing field in the NFL is what is needed in college football if the sport is going to survive.

A lot of those 28 teams and their fan base front runner types don’t have the ego-strength and humility to stand not being a front-runner. Do fans of tOSU, Alabama, Michigan, Oklahoma, USC, PSU, FSU, LSU, Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas, and all the other usual suspects want to be subjected to not being in the top 25?

The very idea of a 28 super team conference would start taking the “brand-name” status so many of teams have right now away from many of them.

Can you imagine an 8 loss Notre Dame team? What about a 9 loss Texas A & M?
Too much risk for too many teams.

Besides that, the billionaire franchise owners like things just the way they are now!

This example is likely the biggest barrier to a 24-30 school separate league. Right now the helmet schools - regardless of who you include with that term - view themselves as equals and are able to fundraise as such. Good luck doing that when you finish 4-8 for three years running.

Others have said it well so I’ll be brief. I’d be joining the masses and finding a new activity if the Gophers were no longer in college football’s top level.

Watch those network contracts shrivel when only 30 fan bases care.
I think the 64 to 80 range is the right amount for the college football appetite. 4 Conferences with 16-20 teams each. 12-16 in a playoff of some sort based on auto bids and at-large. I think they are really close to what is needed.

It might go more like the NFL and be B1G(NFC) and SEC(AFC). Just on a larger scale with more teams.

Can someone explain why MSU or Iowa would be in the circle and Minnesota would not?

These programs are not better than Minnesota historically. They aren't better presently (especially MSU)

Iowa is a much smaller state with split allegiances and no major media market. Michigan State is the 2nd team in their state, smaller media market. I guess their stadiums have a few more seats?

For a long time the Gophers have been stuck in their Wacker-era perceptions nationally, but if we were going by things like long-term historical success, recent success, media market size -- the Gophers should be in the circle.

But to be honest, I would rather be an instant League 2 title contender vs Purdue, Iowa St, Northwestern, etc. than be the last team into the Premier League and have a bunch of 1 and 2 win seasons. Remember, it's all minor league, even the top flight.

Mandel is a clown. In a media landscape filled with those who see a few prestige schools at the top and ignore all others, he stands out as the most CFP-obsessed of them all.

Weird for someone who went to Northwestern

there is a person who tweets (or X's) as "Big Ten Information." they have been pushing this idea very hard for months. under their scenario, this is behind the efforts of schools like Clemson to get out of the ACC - because in their theory, the B1G and SEC are the only two conferences that matter, so if you're not in one of those two conferences, you become irrelevant.

based on their posts, this individual is also a Nebraska fan. (and they have a running feud with Greg Flugaur)

If it happens, I can't say I'd be done for good, good.
Who knows when?, but some day down the road on some fall Saturday morning I may impulsively decide to drive down to the newly named KrisLindahl.com Stadium, pull into a front row space in the Gold Lot 20 minutes before kickoff, whip out my phone and order a ticket at the 50-yard-line - 8th row (shade side for hot days; sunny side for chilly days). I'll wear some silly sunglasses or something so I'm an easy target for the jumbotron cameraman.
For a long time I've felt like Kris Lindahl is the next Denny Hecker waiting to happen.

Top Bottom