"It would probably be wise for receivers to remember to not taunt the former Golden Gopher in the future."

Don't give it if you can't take it.

Noted that Tyreek spent a few seconds with the refs immediately after and my read of his body language was that he was not upset.

No corroboration from Tyreek, but I watched the game and TD in question for the previous meeting and Tyreek ham-boned Antoine big time with the back-flip and peace sign then.

Delicious.

Didn't like it at the time. But I've come around.

I didn't like it at the time either but now that I know the backstory on why he did it I love it. And you know Winfield was just waiting on the perfect opportunity to break it out. Being the intelligent player he is he saved it until it was a time when it wouldn't really hurt the team. Just cost them a few yards of meaningless field position.

Guessing he got a reaction like this one from the coaches (caution, contains one naughty word)

I'm cool with it now that I know. At the time I was more worried about the penalty, but it was after the INT, so it didn't matter.

My opinion is he probably shouldn't have done it. Staying above the stupid stuff is almost always the better look. That said, I'm not bothered by it either - the short term satisfaction was pretty good.

I sort of thought it was out of character at the time...but the back story makes sense...and I thought back to all the highlights he provided and the quiet way he went about them, so to speak.

Here's a gem...

You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think verbal taunting goes on on just about every play. The players just can’t posture or point. The league doesn’t like the visual and pretty much looks past the verbal. If they flagged all the verbal they’d never get a play off.

I sort of thought it was out of character at the time...but the back story makes sense...and I thought back to all the highlights he provided and the quiet way he went about them, so to speak.

Here's a gem...

I bet all of Our fans complained that we had a talented player returning a punt/kick after that one

You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think verbal taunting goes on on just about every play. The players just can’t posture or point. The league doesn’t like the visual and pretty much looks past the verbal. If they flagged all the verbal they’d never get a play off.
Who here is claiming that it doesn't?

The kid has made revenge quotes after every playoff game. He obviously needs it to compete at his highest level. He will change with maturity.

I don't think Hill was flagged when he did it though, was he?

I don't think Hill was flagged when he did it though, was he?

Hill was not flagged for showboating in the first meeting. But clearly Winfield remembered :)

I would think taunting is weaponize as part of players' repertoire of tactics to throw off an opponent psychologically. Whatever they can get away with. It can backfire. You see trash talking often times. They weren't doing "how do ya do". This not to mention that there are players who play dirty all the time.

Last edited:

Who here is claiming that it doesn't?
It’s an expression.

Apparently taunting bothers some people. They seem to think it only happens when they don’t like it.

The NFL fined Winfield $7,815, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

Winfield likely won’t mind, as Winfield indicated after the game that getting in Hill’s face as revenge for their regular season meeting was one of his goals for the Super Bowl.

“The taunting, man, it’s something I just had to do,” Winfield said. “When we played them earlier, Hill went off on us. He back-flipped in front of my face and gave me the peace sign. So it was only right that I gave him the peace sign right back to him. It felt amazing to do that. I’m not even gonna lie.”

Sounds like to Winfield, that feeling is worth more than $7,815.

The NFL fined Winfield $7,815, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

Winfield likely won’t mind, as Winfield indicated after the game that getting in Hill’s face as revenge for their regular season meeting was one of his goals for the Super Bowl.

“The taunting, man, it’s something I just had to do,” Winfield said. “When we played them earlier, Hill went off on us. He back-flipped in front of my face and gave me the peace sign. So it was only right that I gave him the peace sign right back to him. It felt amazing to do that. I’m not even gonna lie.”

Sounds like to Winfield, that feeling is worth more than $7,815.
And how much was Hill fined when he taunted Winfield in the regular season?

Top Bottom