It sucks, but we need to cheer for Iowa this weekend

I think Purdue is my biggest concern for the West title as they now hold the tiebreaker and the schedule is similar to us in softness. Maybe softer.

I think Purdue is my biggest concern for the West title as they now hold the tiebreaker and the schedule is similar to us in softness. Maybe softer.

Exactly. Well-stated. This is the correct answer.

— Purdue is the only team in the West that holds the tiebreaker over Minnesota.

— If Purdue loses at Maryland, the Gophers will once again control their own destiny. If Purdue loses and Minnesota wins out, it won't matter what anybody else does.

— If we aren't a better team than Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois then we don't deserve to be West champions anyway, in my opinion.

The Gophers need to actually win the West, not have the West drop in their laps.

Last edited:

My wishing and hoping did me little good last Saturday, so thinking about refraining from doing it this weekend. Let the chips fall where they may.

The nice thing about Illinois vs. Iowa, one of them will lose.
Yep, division is wide open and could go any number of directs. But no matter what one of those teams leaves that game with their second conference loss.

Will root for them in a Bowl Game against an SEC team but that's about it.

Though if you're not in the Stadium it doesn't matter who you root for. Even then it might not matter much.

That said, no, will not root for Iowa or Wisconsin.
Wait...are you saying that who we root for doesn't impact the results of the game? 🤯🤣

— If Purdue loses at Maryland, the Gophers will once again control their own destiny. If Purdue loses and Minnesota wins out, it won't matter what anybody else does.

— If we aren't a better team than Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois then we don't deserve to be West champions anyway, in my opinion.
What if Purdue loses to Maryland but beats all remaining teams, and we win all remaining games except losing at Penn St?

Purdue will have lost to Penn St and Maryland, while we will have lost to Penn St and Purdue.

Yes you can pull for Iowa or Wisconsin--if it helps the gophers. You have permission to do that. Its all about whats best for the gophers

That's my motto in life.

Rather difficult when they play each other, even then I just choose the team I want to lose.
When they play each other, we cheer for the meteor

Yes you can pull for Iowa or Wisconsin--if it helps the gophers. You have permission to do that. Its all about whats best for the gophers
For sure. That’s not known yet.
I am leaning Iowa winning is better for gophers. But if Iowa wins it means that I would’ve been better for Illinois to have won

I’m absolutely cheering for Illinois. I want them ranked and riding high for our game. I want our win against them to be looked at as an impressive win and get this bad Purdue taste out of my mouth.

As of right now the only game on the Big Ten schedule this weekend that we really should have a real interest in hoping one team wins is the Maryland/Purdue game. With Purdue holding the head to head with us we need them to lose whenever possible.

Rest of the division is too big of a crap shoot right now to have much of a vested interest in any of the other matchups at this point.

Of course having said that, I always want to see Iowa and Wisconsin lose for no other reason than they are Iowa and Wisconsin and therefore deserve it. :)

Well Maryland blew that. I don't think Purdue is good enough to win out. However, I am not sure we are as well after our loss to them. I hope we can regain our confidence and focus and put a string of victories together.

Purdue is a juggernaut now.

Last week, they were mediocre.

I can't keep up with the changes.

Purdue is a juggernaut now.

Last week, they were mediocre.

I can't keep up with the changes.
Purdue is a hard team to bin down. They're like a riverboat gambler. They win some and lose some by the smallest of margins. The schedule does not look that tough for them, so this loss could turn out to be a bad one for the Gophers. I hope I'm wrong.

We will find out how good our front 4 is. The Illini DL dominated WI and IA. If we can't run the ball I am worried our offense may look very similar to what WI and IA experience. However, I think our whole offensive unit is better than either of these teams.

Think Brett Bielema.....does that help?
That was as close as convincing me to change my mind as possible.

I watched 2 1/2 quarters of that contest. Time I will never get back, unfortunately.

I've got a better idea, Minnesota beats Iowa and Illinois and do their own work
This what we need to do. Control our destiny. Only help we need is for somebody else in the West to beat Purdue. We kind of blew our chance.

Top Bottom