It never hurts to be related to the president

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Oregon State was a great story this year. President Obama's brother-in-law, Craig Robinson, has brought life & energy back to the once-proud Beavers program. But does that mean the Beavers are worthy of an invitation to the second-year 16-team College Basketball Invitational (CBI)? I'm not sure a 13-17 record (including 2 wins vs. non-D-I foes) should merit any kind of postseason, even if it's the CBI or the inaugural College Insider.com tourney.

I'll root for Oregon State in the CBI before KY in the NIT.

Too Funny !

Oregon State was a great story this year. President Obama's brother-in-law, Craig Robinson, has brought life & energy back to the once-proud Beavers program. But does that mean the Beavers are worthy of an invitation to the second-year 16-team College Basketball Invitational (CBI)? I'm not sure a 13-17 record (including 2 wins vs. non-D-I foes) should merit any kind of postseason, even if it's the CBI or the inaugural College Insider.com tourney.

I would say when it gets this far down the apple tree, even having a stem attached would be a good qualification!

In other words, does the team have nice uniforms? Can they get fans to buy tickets? Is the coach related to the President of the US of A? Yes to any of these gets you in !
:)

Cincinnati received CBI bid last year with 13-18 record.

Bradley beat UC so they finished 13-18.

Personally, I am rooting for Kentucky to go far in the NIT. There's just something I like about the idea that college BB fans everywhere - not to mention UK fans - will get LOTS and LOTS of reminders that UK is NOT in the NCAA tourney.

let's not kid ourselves none of us would know who the hell the coach of the beavs was if he wasn't the brother of the first lady.

i know the guy played at princeton and has an MBA from the u of c, but would he have been interviewed by jim rome if he was related to rod blagojavich?

As the CBI has picked teams with sub-500 records before, I highly doubt that politics went into this decision. I do think you should have to have at least a .500 record to get an at-large bid to any post-season tournament. Surely there were teams with .500 or better records who were snubbed by the NIT who they could have picked.

Perhaps the College Insider tournament could be called the College Outsider.

let's not kid ourselves none of us would know who the hell the coach of the beavs was if he wasn't the brother of the first lady.

i know the guy played at princeton and has an MBA from the u of c, but would he have been interviewed by jim rome if he was related to rod blagojavich?

probably

As long as it wasn't during the Rex streak.

Rack me, I'm out.

Top Bottom