"It definitely is surprising," Jackson McAndrew on not receiving Gophers' offer

All of your reasoning throughout this thread based on the feelings of some kid who was always going to get choose a from several full ride scholarships and a piece of an NIL pie, or the concerns of handwringing fans who want to win with Minnesota kids or no one. Neither are about the integrity of the program or winning.
My "concern" (for whatever it amounts to) is the following thing:

- BJ had no head coaching experience
- but convinced Coyle to overlook that because he (BJ) was going to be able to do much better at keeping local kids home, and doing so was/is the best way to get Minnesota basketball competitive

- and this thread is an anecdote of how .... he doesn't seem to be doing any better than Pitino did.

No?

It sits fine with me.

I can think of plenty of things that don’t sit well with me, but this is so, soooo far under the radar.
Really?

Perhaps it should be for a different thread, that's fine, but would like to know your opinions on why those and why not this.

That is quite convenient!!

"You know how I said my top priority, and the main thing that justified you overlooking the fact that I have no head coaching experience, was recruiting local kids? Well actually, there just aren't that many good ones to recruit! So yeah, nevermind about all that."
I have said this in the past. That's why I didn't understand the hire.

It's just tough for me to buy this, the way you're trying to sell it, when kids go on Twitter to "celebrate" and personally thank coaches from every DI school they receive an offer from, even though knowing full well that they're not going there.

How do you explain that? Just being polite? Well .... yeah! That's just fine, isn't it? We can be "polite" with an "offer" too. Again, not seeing any harm done.
That's easy to explain - it's just ego. Hey, look at this, another offer. You really think they really feel blessed to get an offer from every school? I know a kid who had no interest in going to a school, and there wasn't anything the coach was going to be able to do to get him there - he just wanted to try something new. Yet, when the coach threw an offer at him he tweeted it out and said he was blessed.

PJ drives me nuts in a lot of ways, but he doesn't throw an offer at every kid in the state. There have been good players who went elsewhere he didn't waste time or an offer with - he wants a culture of "yes" to an offer, not "no".

Your not seeing any harm done demonstrates how naive you are about this process. Kids do look at it and say, "That offer doesn't mean a thing - they offer everyone." I've also heard kids say, "Yeah, they offer everyone. No one goes there." The most important one is when kids are actually excited about the offer, that it means something. When everyone in the state gets an offer, it's not a big deal - kids see that and depending on when and who the coach was, they think the coach is desperate or it really doesn't mean anything. The kids aren't dumb.

The link to the AAU coaches has to be a joke. If it was part of any serious conversation in hiring a HC then we are exactly where we should be.

He’s 17, so of course he wants attention - that’s the whole gig at that age - unless you are a rare old soul.

I

My point is he's not a diversity hire. He was hired because of the local ties and us "missing out on Minnesota kids". It's not like the 24-26 classes are stock with can't miss prospects
I would add 22 and 23 to the list.

So far Payne and Carrington are better than Holloman. That's what you want- land the guys that do the best as opposed to rate the highest. Holloman may well be great and in fact I hope he transfers here but I don't see where Ben has had other big misses since he got here.
Agreed! Payne looks like the top of the ‘22 class. Carrington looked promising at the end of the season, especially playing through injuries. I would even say Aligbe and JOJ looks more promising then Holloman at this point… King already in the portal. Watson limited playing time.

Top Bottom