It appears that this season has become a rebuild project.

imthewalrus

Reaction score
Everyone references the incredible 2019 season. The 2020 season was pandemic dominated and it was difficult to tell what was going on in college football with so many teams.

Two tremendous receivers are gone from that team of 2019. An All-American who roamed the field on defense isin Tampa last season and this year. How many game saving plays did he used to make? How many interceptions did he make against PSU that got the Gophers going in that key game. Weren’t the linebackers making some pretty big plays in 2019?

AB hasn’t really played much this season. And, in the third quarter against the Buckeyes, wasn’t the Big Ten running back of the year for 2020 lost for the season?
And, Mr. Green had a monster year at wildcat and helped this team a lot. He’s playing T the U of Houston this year.

This rebuild started at the end of the 2019 season. It was impossible to note ALL the pieces missing in 2020 due to the destruction the pandemic did to college football and the entire world.

Whether Gopher fans want to hear it or not: PJ Fleck in 2020 was faced with a huge REBUILD project. In 2021, during the first four games, the scope and nature of the rebuild has become even more urgent and complicated than first was obvious in 2020.

Be patient Gopher fans. This probably will be a rollercoaster year. Some good. Some bad. Some ugly and discouraging. Some surprising and encouraging.

However, this is not the time for coaching changes. It is time to hang on, keep showing up and see what happens.

These are the times when some humility among fans is called for. Remember: the stinking Badger struggled in 2020 and is still looking “…kind of green around the gills…”
In this 2021 season. They provided Notre Dame with a starting qb and appear to be doing a bit of a rebuilding project with their remaining qb situation.

REBUILD…build it the right way…rebuild it strong. Do NOT be looking to mess with the coaches and program mid-season. The team will show up for the games. We fans should stick around too.

Last edited:

I've seen this before, countless times. Just when we start to build some momentum winning in Colorado and potentially being the football team people focus on in this State considering the Vikings season may already be over, we lose a game we should have easily won. I have zero doubt there will only be 25,000 fans for the remaining home games.....get ready to feel like it's an away game with all of the Husker and Badger fans that are going to be able to get cheap tickets now. Depressing!

I've seen this before, countless times. Just when we start to build some momentum winning in Colorado and potentially being the football team people focus on in this State considering the Vikings season may already be over, we lose a game we should have easily won. I have zero doubt there will only be 25,000 fans for the remaining home games.....get ready to feel like it's an away game with all of the Husker and Badger fans that are going to be able to get cheap tickets now. Depressing!
Right now, badger fans and husker fans will have no interest in making the drive.

Way too little information to make that assumption. Play calling today was absolutely atrocious. We've seen what the team can do when they take their opponents seriously. When the coaching staff hands the other team their playbook and dares them to stop us.....it's a problem.

That is a fact. The players, the coaches, the program AND we fans have some soul-searching to do about that fact. Everybody has to decide what to do each game at a time. There needs to be some gutWrenching, dedication that goes on in the locker room, in the coaches meetings.

What are we building though. We have a new offensive line next year and qb. CAB is probably gone and these other receivers so far are blah.

I'm frustrated. This was a joke today.

Last edited:

--. .-.. .- -.. / - --- / .... .- ...- . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / - .... --- ..- --. .... - ... .-.-.- / --- - .... . .-. / - .... .- -. / - --- -.. .- -.-- / --. --- .--. .... . .-. ... / .... .- ...- . / -... . . -. / ... --- -- . / ..-. ..- -. .-.-.-

With such a perfect game followed by an atrocious one I'm not sure what to expect next time out.

This could be the start of a disastrous rest of the way. Or it could be like 2019 when the Gophers could have easily lost to SD State, Fresno, or Georgia Southern to start the year, but they got things figured out.

I have no idea which team comes to Purdue. But there's been plenty of teams that have had embarrassing losses or ugly close calls and still salvaged a season that wouldn't be called a rebuild.

Right now, badger fans and husker fans will have no interest in making the drive.
Unfortunately there is a large amount of Husker and Badger fans living in the twin cities and will fill the stadium if the tickets are available, even though their teams are mediocre. I would hope most of us Gophers fans will do the right thing and show up!

With such a perfect game followed by an atrocious one I'm not sure what to expect next time out.

This could be the start of a disastrous rest of the way. Or it could be like 2019 when the Gophers could have easily lost to SD State, Fresno, or Georgia Southern to start the year, but they got things figured out.

I have no idea which team comes to Purdue. But there's been plenty of teams that have had embarrassing losses or ugly close calls and still salvaged a season that wouldn't be called a rebuild.
The defense and running game papered over the offensive playcalling deficincies in Colorado for one week. The goal isn't to regress back to back half off the B1G West, the current offensive scheme is recipe to remain there.

All is not lost for this season, as there is hope. Tanner Morgan has shown that with stellar receiver help, he can be an effective QB. He won't get the job done on his own, though... he needs help. Granted, Johnson & Bateman aren't coming to the rescue, but getting CAB back relatively healthy (hope hope!) and Wright squared away with whatever put him in the doghouse will give Morgan and the passing game a huge boost. That's not inconsequential... it will lead to everyone on the offense, from the OL to the running game, performing at a higher level.

I find it fascinating to think how different the mood here would be had the Gophers lost to Colorado 14-10 and defeated Bowling Green 30-0.

The highs and the lows of those 7 days were extreme for sure, but the answer about how good the Gophers are probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Everyone references the incredible 2019 season. The 2020 season was pandemic dominated and it was difficult to tell what was going on in college football with so many teams.

Two tremendous receivers are gone from that team of 2019. An All-American who roamed the field on defense isin Tampa last season and this year. How many game saving plays did he used to make? How many interceptions did he make against PSU that got the Gophers going in that key game. Weren’t the linebackers making some pretty big plays in 2019?

AB hasn’t really played much this season. And, in the third quarter against the Buckeyes, wasn’t the Big Ten running back of the year for 2020 lost for the season?
And, Mr. Green had a monster year at wildcat and helped this team a lot. He’s playing T the U of Houston this year.

This rebuild started at the end of the 2019 season. It was impossible to note ALL the pieces missing in 2020 due to the destruction the pandemic did to college football and the entire world.

Whether Gopher fans want to hear it or not: PJ Fleck in 2020 was faced with a huge REBUILD project. In 2021, during the first four games, the scope and nature of the rebuild has become even more urgent and complicated than first was obvious in 2020.

Be patient Gopher fans. This probably will be a rollercoaster year. Some good. Some bad. Some ugly and discouraging. Some surprising and encouraging.

However, this is not the time for coaching changes. It is time to hang on, keep showing up and see what happens.

These are the times when some humility among fans is called for. Remember: the stinking Badger struggled in 2020 and is still looking “…kind of green around the gills…”
In this 2021 season. They provided Notre Dame with a starting qb and appear to be doing a bit of a rebuilding project with their remaining qb situation.

REBUILD…build it the right way…rebuild it strong. Do NOT be looking to mess with the coaches and program mid-season. The team will show up for the games. We fans should stick around too.
I thought only big ten wins mattered. So a loss to BG is no reason to worry.

Morgan needs a break. A reset after the events he has experienced the last few months. He still is the key on offense. Let him observe and get a mental recharge.

Might want to start the rebuild by re-assessing the OC position. Our defense allowed BG less than 200 total yards. That is not “rebuild” territory.

What's there to rebuild? It's not like Gopher football has been a sturdy home on a solid foundation (at least during my lifetime).
It's a mobile home in a trailer court just waiting for the next tornado or meth lab explosion to come along.

What's there to rebuild? It's not like Gopher football has been a sturdy home on a solid foundation (at least during my lifetime).
It's a mobile home in a trailer court just waiting for the next tornado or meth lab explosion to come along.
Closer to reality than fiction, and to top it off, a horribly visual picture you had to paint for us. Thank you for putting a speed bump in an otherwise beautiful Sunday morning

I find it fascinating to think how different the mood here would be had the Gophers lost to Colorado 14-10 and defeated Bowling Green 30-0.

The highs and the lows of those 7 days were extreme for sure, but the answer about how good the Gophers are probably lies somewhere in the middle.
6-6 if we are lucky, either way

I'm disappointed.

What are we building though. We have a new offensive line next year and qb. CAB is probably gone and these other receivers so far are blah.

I'm frustrated. This was a joke today. I guy in all the time and get drilled in the balls.

The team didn't show up today.
I thought only big ten wins mattered. So a loss to BG is no reason to worry.
Big Ten games certainly mean more to Big Ten teams. A BT team could lose all their non conference games and still win a BT championship.
This is actually an incredible opportunity for P J to show everyone what a great coach he can be.

A loss, as horrible as it was, to BG, is NO reason to totally lay down and die.

PJ needs to find some playmakers on both offense and defense. The lack of playmakers must be established/rebuilt to the level that the 2019 level for the fans to have 11-2 expectations…

Last edited:

Big Ten games certainly mean more to Big Ten teams. A BT team could lose all their non conference games and still win a BT championship.
This is actually an incredible opportunity for P J to show everyone what a great coach he can be.

A loss, as horrible as it was, to BG, is NO reason to totally lay down and die.

PJ needs to find some playmakers on both offense and defense. The lack of playmakers must be established/rebuilt to the level that the 2019 level for the fans to have 11-2 expectations…
You make a great point. This is an opportunity for PJ to make something good happen. If it happens remains to be seen but the opportunity is there. They have the physical talent, now it falls on coaches.

Top Bottom