It appears an undefeated college football team ranked in the top 30 of the AP Poll just lost its starting quarterback ... because of an NIL dispute.

This is starting to look more like pro sports than college. Why even have the enrollment rules and scholarships and call them student athletes if all it is going to be is Salary's and pay disputes. This guy basically quit after 4 games.
Sadly it's worse than pro sports because it's less organized. If this happened in pro sports it would be tampering followed by fines loss of draft picks and probably some lawsuits.

This is starting to look more like pro sports than college. Why even have the enrollment rules and scholarships and call them student athletes if all it is going to be is Salary's and pay disputes. This guy basically quit after 4 games.
Pro sports has structure, contracts, rules. What is happening in college athletics is just chaos.

And to this QB....if I was a UNLV fan I would have some choice things to say to his Thank You post....what a douche bag.

Last edited:

I see Barry Odom is UNLV head coach and his brother is director of player personnel. Let’s hear it, guy. What did the bros and their collective promise you. These players going public with laughable NIL contracts has potential to be great reading and viewing.

Chaos and controversy is probably good for driving interest, or at least my interest. Eli Manning crying about being drafted by the Chargers didn’t destroy the NFL. Contract disputes, holdouts, blubbering. All this stuff will do is make us more cynical about the players, coaches, programs, which in my case is hard to do. The questions really are whether CFB fans will turn to the NFL as they tire of getting asked for more money, and/or whether CFB changes will destroy some athletic departments due to market forces.

If CFB does not get this under control, they are going to destroy their product. Have universities pay the athletes directly, implement a salary cap, and be done with it already. Draft high school players.
Absolutely - Get a salary cap, come down hard and punish 'illegal money' - essentially NIL.

Make it a step further. Free transfer after your second season and after you graduate. It is sad, but once you are at a school there should be at least a 2 year commitment. How do. you even build a roster when you could legit have a complete turnover every year.

Or I'll take it a step further.
- Get rid of redshirting (medical redshirts allowed still)
- Give all players 5 years of eligibility
- Players can transfer anytime they want (semester break, summer, etc) but each transfer costs you 1 year of eligibility.
- Do 1 of the following 2: If you transfer you are not eligible for NIL at your new school or if you are Bucky Irving and Oregon's NIL pays you $1,000,000 that same NIL collective has to pay Minnesota's NIL the same amount - sort of like compensatory picks in the NFL.

I know fully that their are laws and rules that are currently in place that prevent some of this stuff with NIL, but I truly feel they need to do something to make it fair. The reason why the NFL is so wildly popular is every team has an equal chance - it doesn't matter if you are in crappy Green Bay or Buffalo or in a billion dollar stadium in NFL you are given an equal chance to win. The parity in the league is what makes it fun.

Sadly it's worse than pro sports because it's less organized. If this happened in pro sports it would be tampering followed by fines loss of draft picks and probably some lawsuits.
This is what I've been thinking, too. Professional sports have contracts, while this is just the Wild West. If things keep going in this direction there will need to be some binding contracts because this is getting out of hand.

The Coach JB Show (SoCal based with area connections) just broke that the player demanded $300,000 and UNLV (via the collective?) declined. End of story.

Last edited:

if - as Thamel claims - an assistant coach made that offer, that is a clear violation of NCAA rules. all NIL offers are supposed to come from collectives or people outside the school structure.

--------

meanwhile, the proposed settlement in the House anti-trust lawsuit remains up in the air. (this is the agreement that would lead to schools making direct payment to athletes)

at a court hearing on Sept 5, the Judge handling the case said she would not approve the agreement unless changes were made. She questioned provisions of the agreement that would allow the NCAA to regulate outside NIL deals.

the various parties have until Thurs, Sept 26 to submit a revised settlement agreement - or the House case and two related suits - the Carter and Hubbard cases - could all wind up going to trial.

and - now the politicians are getting involved:

Last week, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signed an executive order that blocks the NCAA and conferences from taking measures that prohibit a college from offering athletes compensation for use of their NIL. The order follows a similar measure in Virginia, where Gov. Glenn Youngkin signed HB1505 into law. The Virginia legislation prevents the NCAA from prohibiting colleges in the state from compensating athletes for their NIL. Other states, including Texas and Oklahoma, have adopted laws that constrain the NCAA’s ability to regulate NIL and collectives.

so, more uncertainty. if the settlement falls through and the cases go to trial, it could be a year or more before there is any resolution - and then there are appeals.

The Coach JB Show (SoCal based with area connections) just broke that the player demanded $300,000 and UNLV (via the collective?) declined. End of story.

So the tweets GWG posted claimed he was promised 3K for moving expenses and didn't get it and didn't ask for more money.

This one says he hired an agent and demanded 300K.

Pretty different stories but I know which one I am inclined to believe in this current culture. And it isn't the one where the school wouldn't come up with a relatively small sum like 3K.

So the tweets GWG posted claimed he was promised 3K for moving expenses and didn't get it and didn't ask for more money.

Pretty different stories but I know which one I am inclined to believe in this current culture. And it isn't the one where the school wouldn't come up with a relatively small sum like 3K.

Thamel said he did get the 3k for moving, and then UNLV offered him 3k per month for 4 months on top of it.

But there's still an 88k difference between that and 100k.

What's not mentioned in the $3K stipend post was the payment timing for the $100K deal. If I was the NIL, I wouldn't pay the bulk of it until the season ended. Informal front loaded deals are for suckers.

Technically correct, since there wasn’t a contract or apparently even a text or numbers written on a napkin. All obligations were met, which were zero.

Get everything in writing, hire a professional to review. Not necessarily former NFL players or Uncle Bobby.

After agent and/or attorney fees, taxes that 100K isn’t going to look like much anyway. UNLV offering $12K to their starting QB is definitely news….

Come Row the Boat. We have a favorable 2025 schedule and lots of TV exposure.

This is reality now, whether folks like it or not. If I was a QB from Holy Cross/UNLV I would be out to get whatever bag I can get while I still can, because he's highly likely to sit in that middle ground between very useful P4 QB and NFL QB.

If he can get $1M from a school like Minnesota to be the QB1 next year not only is it a chance to try his skills at the highest level but also to bank some money at a young age for the rest of his life.

If I was his father I would support it.

This is reality now, whether folks like it or not. If I was a QB from Holy Cross/UNLV I would be out to get whatever bag I can get while I still can, because he's highly likely to sit in that middle ground between very useful P4 QB and NFL QB.

If he can get $1M from a school like Minnesota to be the QB1 next year not only is it a chance to try his skills a the highest level but also to bank some money at a young age for the rest of his life.

UNLV also lied to him to get him to move across the country and play football for them. The assistant coach who made the promise likely thought that he would have no recourse (out of eligibility).

Technically correct, since there wasn’t a contract or apparently even a text or numbers written on a napkin. All obligations were met, which were zero.

Get everything in writing, hire a professional to review. Not necessarily former NFL players or Uncle Bobby.

After agent and/or attorney fees, taxes that 100K isn’t going to look like much anyway. UNLV offering $12K to their starting QB is definitely news….
Verbal contracts are binding, they are just harder to prove. If you believe his side of the story, the obligations were not met.

As far as getting it writing - I agree completely. Even if he wanted to go on the cheap, he could get a lawyer to look over a contract - write a contract for $500-$600.

If he can get $1M from a school like Minnesota to be the QB1 next year not only is it a chance to try his skills at the highest level but also to bank some money at a young age for the rest of his life.

Do you think programs like MN offer $1MM NIL to a QB?

No chance.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom