Isn’t the offensive line the biggest issue?

Don’t we need to win in the trenches?

• Yes

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters
on Gopher Gridiron Podcast, after the Iowa game, former Gopher OL Derek Burns (2nd cousin to Ryan Burns) was on to analyze the game. He said that several members of the OL (didn't name who) have issues with foot speed.

according to Derek, with the Gophers' blocking schemes, the O-Linemen need to be able to move side-to-side to maintain blocks. if the foot speed is lacking, they can't get into position to stay on the defender, and/or can't get out to the second level to block a LB.

Burns said that a different blocking scheme might be able to compensate for what he sees as the issues with the current O-Line group.
I alluded to the same thing in my first post in this thread. We lack the foot speed to be running a zone blocking scheme where your blocking an area and have to be quicker to stay on a block, pull or get to a linebacker. Tight ends are not effective at chipping or setting up double teams. Really dislike splitting out wide, the TE in a double tight end set. Especially when there are no mismatches created and motion isn't even moving anyone out of the box effectively, D still crashing in and recovering with a safety who picks up our crossers. With the age and experience I was expecting better play out of the Gophers offensive line. Let's hope they step up and have a much better game this weekend. Taylor and Major can make plays if you give them a little time and the Oline can wall up the defenders. Have to stay on balance and move off the ball quicker. The line and QB should be able to make plays if they synch up. The motion has to mean and do something positive. The coaches know this, I'm not saying anything they don't already know.

Last edited:

Top Bottom