Isaiah Zierden - Dave Telep tweet

Reserve

Reaction score
I saw this tweet from Dave Telep

One of the best shooters I saw last weekend was Isaiah Zierden. Dad is an assistant with Washington Wizards. Go figure.

Are the Gophers recruiting him?

IDK the gophs got to at least take a strong look at him. a great shooter with great basketball IQ and good handling skillz should at least get a look.

I don't mind taking a look at him, but I would hope guys like Demarquise Johnson are a higher priority.

Demarquise johnson would translate better to the college game than zierdan imo

JohnnyGophers has talked quite a bit about Zierden for a couple of years now. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I believe he was higher on Zierden a year or so ago than he is now.

JohnnyGophers has talked quite a bit about Zierden for a couple of years now. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I believe he was higher on Zierden a year or so ago than he is now.

I'm obvoiusly not Johnny, but I would agree with that assessment. He seemed to have an OK junior year, but I thought he looked better the year before. That said, it sounded like he played rather well at the first Nike AAU event this past weekend.

I think the Bohannon comparison is a decent one. They are both guys who play a good deal of PG at the HS level, but would probably need to be SGs at the next level. Both are really good shooters who know how to play, but are limited a bit by their athleticism (or lack thereof). Jason was probably the better athlete of the two.

I've been following zeirden for a few years now, great iq and shooter.
He needs to improve ball handling and athleticism, to have an impact in the big 10.
reminds me too much of hoffbarber. gophers def should give him a good look.
depending how this summer and next bball season go, we may want him.
we def need to give our in state kids intensive evaluation, too much talent has left the state in recent years.

reminds me too much of hoffbarber.

That's a bad thing?

----------

Seems to me he's quicker, better ball handler and can create his own shot. Not the same players just cuz they are both white and can shoot.

I watched him a little bit at the Howard Pulley jamboree on Saturday and Sunday, not enough to make final judgements or anything but I think he can create his own shot better than Blake can. Isaiah has a very quick release and they would run him off of double screens and he didn't always have to be real open to get the shot off. They played him a little at the point when Syani Chambers and Tyus Jones were both on the bench and he handle that pretty well. He also went after some rebounds harder than I expected, showing some real determination that was nice to see even when they were up 20 or so.

same qualifier about final judgements, but I really liked what I saw from Syani Chambers-- leader on the floor, coaching from the bench when out of the game, practically coaching the 16U team for one game. And his 15U brother might be a better shooter.

because we dont really have a need for a SG next year, and Demarquise johnson has us in his top 4. He is 6'6", shoots 44% from three, reportedly has RWjr hops, and will be ranked top 50 probably when all is said and done.

Doesn't hold a candle to Rodney's leaping ability, but he is still a very good athlete. I'd say his athleticism is closer to Austin Hollins from what I've seen. No offense to Zierden, but if we have a realistic shot at getting Johnson a scholarship needs to be available for him first.

because we dont really have a need for a SG next year

Welch will be a senior by then. Look at what has gone on with transfers, we don't know what that yet.

Who were we looking at when we had the whole Joe Coleman offer problems.

That's a bad thing?

----------

Seems to me he's quicker, better ball handler and can create his own shot. Not the same players just cuz they are both white and can shoot.

Its not a bad thing or a good thing, Hoff had a decent gophers career. Couple espy nominations, were the highlights of his career. But he was not consistent game changer, too often he would disappear when the gophers needed scoring.

your right I forgot to mention Isiah can play point and handle pressure a lot better than Hoff.

your right I forgot to mention Isiah can play point and handle pressure a lot better than Hoff.

Did you come to that conclusion the when you saw Isiah play point against starting Big Ten backcourts?

Hoff had a decent gophers career.
Ending up like 17th on the all-time scoring list, being our all-time 3 pt record holder by a wide margin, and one of best shooters in Gopher history is only a "decent" career?

What qualifies as a "great" career in your eyes?

yeah i believe zierden can defiently handle d1 backcourts as a PG. he played a little HP 17 ball as a 15 and played 17 ball last year and now this year and plays some point guard there. Also if he plays in the hp summer league this summer it will be his third year playing in it.

personally if it comes down to chambers or zierden for a gophers offer i would have to go with zierden because he has the ability to shoot, dribble, height, and its easier to find a pg than a pg/sg who can really shoot.

Top Bottom