Isaiah Washington yesterday

Doc1001

Reaction score
21 points 6 rebounds 5 assists. But he couldnt get off Pitinos bench last year when we desparately needed a point guard

Where did I say that? Just saying he didnt deserve that much time on the bench. He lost his confidence.

Correct. Unfortunately our roster is full of such players year after year.

Correct. But he's just another one of them. That doesn't mean we should have played him more.

So, recruiting him was a failure. It was a forgivable failure considering he was rated really high. But a failure.

Not playing him was the right move.

Correct. But he's just another one of them. That doesn't mean we should have played him more.

So, recruiting him was a failure. It was a forgivable failure considering he was rated really high. But a failure.

Not playing him was the right move.
He is a great passer and an amazing ball handler. The problem is that his long range game was not good and he could not finish around the hoop against Big Ten players. In another league his issues are not as glaring and he can shine in certain situations. If his three point shot would have developed he would have been fine, even in the Big Ten. Kid can get anywhere he wants to on the court.

He is a great passer and an amazing ball handler. The problem is that his long range game was not good and he could not finish around the hoop against Big Ten players. In another league his issues are not as glaring and he can shine in certain situations. If his three point shot would have developed he would have been fine, even in the Big Ten. Kid can get anywhere he wants to on the court.

I don't think he had the quickness or athleticism to get by people in the Big 10.

Currently has a better 3 point % than our entire starting 5. (36.1% 30/83 on the year)

We'd be a final 4 team this year with IW. Just like last year, we'd have been in FF with Carr. Every year just missing that one key player or we'd have a couple B10 titles and FF's with Lil' Ricky. Time to move on.

This is a weird thread, while everyone is disappointed I W did not work out here I don't think anyone was disappointed to see that he transferred considering it obviously did not work out him putting up numbers at Iona does not do anything to indicate he would actually be productive on this year's team everyone expected him to put up better numbers at Iona because it's Iona

This is a weird thread, while everyone is disappointed I W did not work out here I don't think anyone was disappointed to see that he transferred considering it obviously did not work out him putting up numbers at Iona does not do anything to indicate he would actually be productive on this year's team everyone expected him to put up better numbers at Iona because it's Iona

There is a weird interest in Isaiah Washington.

I don't remember ever seeing Davonte Fitzgerald or Jamir Harris threads.

Not weird.
Isn’t it natural for people to be more interested in players who were more highly rated, played more, and were better?

he averaged 18 minutes, 8 points, and 2 assists per game as a freshmen in conference games

We should let it go but it’s not weird. Just like it’s not weird more people talk about Royce white than they talk about Joe Coleman

Not hard to figure out, as neither was Mr Basketball in N.Y. or averaged 9 pts and 3 assists as a freshman with a very productive late-January and February that year.

It is a message board. Never particularly interested in IW because i had seen his game in high school and did not like that i had seen fundamental players take him apart. Still cheered for him to do well here and hope he does well now.

Not hard to figure out, as neither was Mr Basketball in N.Y. or averaged 9 pts and 3 assists as a freshman with a very productive late-January and February that year.

Well yeah, they aren't exactly the same people. We've had plenty of guys be OK as FR who transfer. I cheered for IW, but the bizarre fascination usually accompanied with fabrication of his career is astounding. But yes, you're right, the countless other people who have transferred out because they weren't quite Big 10 caliber players were not the exact same people as IW.

It is a message board. Never particularly interested in IW because i had seen his game in high school and did not like that i had seen fundamental players take him apart. Still cheered for him to do well here and hope he does well now.

Yeah, I'm not saying people shouldn't post about him. I hope they do, I don't even care if threads go off topic.

I just think there is a bizarre fascination surrounding this one player.

Isaiah seems to be playing better lately (statistically) after a rough start to the year. I noticed he had gotten out of shape (via Instagram) over the Summer, and I wonder if it has just taken some time for him to get back in shape. He's still not exactly starring at a lower level, so it's not like he'd be a slam dunk contributor here.

He undoubtedly would be a better use of a scholarship than Greenlee, but Pitino made it pretty clear last year he wouldn't play him...would he play him this year? Isaiah obviously deserves a large portion of the blame for not earning Pitino's trust with his decision making and defense. Why did he regress as a Sophomore...he really didn't even get much of a chance early in the season despite some strong games in his Freshman season. I think it was best for both sides to move on, but I am sure Pitino thought he'd be able to land better prospects last Spring than he did.

Tying this back to the Gophers this year, it should be alarming to everyone that Isaiah flashed more as a Freshman than any of the 4 Freshman currently on the roster (at least to date, maybe someone comes on really late).

He undoubtedly would be a better use of a scholarship than Greenlee, but Pitino made it pretty clear last year he wouldn't play him...would he play him this year? Isaiah obviously deserves a large portion of the blame for not earning Pitino's trust with his decision making and defense. Why did he regress as a Sophomore...he really didn't even get much of a chance early in the season despite some strong games in his Freshman season. I think it was best for both sides to move on, but I am sure Pitino thought he'd be able to land better prospects last Spring than he did.

You and I dont agree on IW.

He was and is a ME player.

I don't think he had the quickness or athleticism to get by people in the Big 10.
His handles were so good, he didn’t need quickness to get anywhere on the court. Best ball-handler I’ve seen wearing Gophers colors. Also a very good passer. His lack of athleticism hindered his ability to finish, along with a just plain poor touch around the rim. I can’t remember seeing anyone miss more layups (albeit often ill-advises and contested ones). Carr, on the other hand, attempts the same I’ll-advised shots and makes them at a very good clip. As the poster also mentioned, IW was not a good shooter. If he had been, he would still be here.

Top Bottom