Is this true?! Matt Rhule said that most Division I programs only give first-year students five reps per practice.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Dorn:

Defensive coordinator Tony White provided an update Tuesday after day two of fall camp.

At the moment, White said the Huskers are focusing on “the operation” and trying to find the defense’s identity.

“We’re throwing a lot to them, especially early on so that way we can see what they’re absorbing,” he said.

That includes several reps at several different positions.

“We’re constantly moving guys around,” he said. “We want to reward guys who do it the right and do it well.”

In a press conference Monday, head coach Matt Rhule said that most Division I programs only give first-year students five reps per practice.

But the Huskers are getting about 40 reps, which is something legendary head coach Tom Osborne suggested in conversations with Rhule.

And on top of the reps, the Huskers are bulking up for the regular season, or as White calls it, “actual football shape.”

“You can see they’ve gained 10, 12, 15 pounds,” he said. “They’re leaner, they’re explosive.”

Go Gophers!!

Per Dorn:

Defensive coordinator Tony White provided an update Tuesday after day two of fall camp.

At the moment, White said the Huskers are focusing on “the operation” and trying to find the defense’s identity.

“We’re throwing a lot to them, especially early on so that way we can see what they’re absorbing,” he said.

That includes several reps at several different positions.

“We’re constantly moving guys around,” he said. “We want to reward guys who do it the right and do it well.”

In a press conference Monday, head coach Matt Rhule said that most Division I programs only give first-year students five reps per practice.

But the Huskers are getting about 40 reps, which is something legendary head coach Tom Osborne suggested in conversations with Rhule.

And on top of the reps, the Huskers are bulking up for the regular season, or as White calls it, “actual football shape.”

“You can see they’ve gained 10, 12, 15 pounds,” he said. “They’re leaner, they’re explosive.”

Go Gophers!!
The best ability is availability and guys gotta be ready to play when their # is called!

Interesting. Assuming that might not include the scout team? Always here about guys doing well on the scout team that may be breakout candidates the next year.

It is probably accurate if you are counting reps in the team period alone. I played small college, D2 level football and during fall camp when we had team period it wouldn't be uncommon for the first team to get 3-4 reps, second team go 2-3 reps, and then third team/freshman to go a play or two and you would continue for about 30 total plays. Once the season began the third team/freshman group wouldn't get any plays, they would be over on the scout team...

Last edited:

Top Bottom