Is this the end of court storming?

Player safety comes first, yet I don't respect that guy for flubbing how to walk right. He sees them coming and just saunters along walking sideways into an oncoming crowd.

In the other shot he is looking at the fan and then sticks his leg out and trips the guy running by in a certain line. Then he said in the video the fan did it on purpose.

How he hasn't been hit by a bus already...

But anyway, players safety should come first.

Last edited:

Outside of what happened to filipowski I'm not sure how this court storming differs from others. I don't know that Wake could have done anything differently. I know I didn't wait for the players to get off the field safely when I stormed TCF after Penn State in 19.

I don't know how you stop it. fans who want to rush the court will do so - unless there is an overwhelming police presence. I suppose you could bring back the cages.

true fact - the reason basketball players were called "cagers" is because a number of courts - mostly at Eastern gyms - used to be enclosed in rope or wire cages. initially the reason for the cage was to keep the ball from going into the stands. but it was also considered a safety measure to keep players and fans from getting into altercations. the practice ended in the early 1930's but the name "cagers" stuck around.

here is a news clipping from the era:

"In some cities of the New York State League, gladiatorial combats of the ancient Romans pale into insignificance compared with the rowdyism rampant among some of the fans and some of the players. No effort on the part of the managers to curtail such tactics has apparently been made, with the results that the good old indoor game is getting into disrepute. The games are not fit places on some occasions to take a lady, certainly not the sort of contest they should like to witness."

Well, students typically lead the rush. Threaten bannings to students who ignore announcements to wait until the other team gets off the court first.

Well, students typically lead the rush. Threaten bannings to students who ignore announcements to wait until the other team gets off the court first.
Easy to say.

Difficult to prove, catch. They'll sue that you can't actually prove it was them, that they actually violated the policy, or just go full on with what the current method is: just sue that your policy/rule is illegal.

Easy to say.

Difficult to prove, catch. They'll sue that you can't actually prove it was them, that they actually violated the policy, or just go full on with what the current method is: just sue that your policy/rule is illegal.

They've got cameras all over the place. Wouldn't be difficult to identify students (who attend the school) and remove their ticket privileges. Not saying that this should be the thing they jump too. Always make announcements in close games. Setup security.....specifically near the student sections. If those things don't work.....let people know that if they ignore the announcements and rush the court before the other team is off.....that they could have their access to games revoked.

They've got cameras all over the place. Wouldn't be difficult to identify students (who attend the school) and remove their ticket privileges.
Maybe, maybe not. You have no idea.

Your idea is as good as any. Just may not work as much as any other idea may not work.

Maybe, maybe not. You have no idea.

Your idea is as good as any. Just may not work as much as any other idea may not work.

I'm not saying that it would be a perfect fix. But if people ignore the announcements to allow opposing teams to get off the floor before rushing, and the arenas do not have the security staff to block the floor.....what do you do? Arenas have plenty of cameras.....and I'm guessing that these higher profile games have even more cameras. I have little doubt that they could identify individual students (who typically lead the court rush). Don't have to catch and eject every one. Just have to make the threat real so it's taken seriously.

I would think the raised floor at Williams Arena would help with this as the security people could get up on the court prior to game finishing to hold off the crowd until the opponents get off the floor.

Clark shoved a fan and fell over.
Clark threw a forearm into the fan, tossed her arms into the air, flung her head back like she was in the Zapruder film, did a full pirouette, then collapsed onto the floor and insisted on being helped off by staff and teammates. It was an embarrassing flop and pure performance art.

Clark threw a forearm into the fan, tossed her arms into the air, flung her head back like she was in the Zapruder film, did a full pirouette, then collapsed onto the floor and insisted on being helped off by staff and teammates. It was an embarrassing flop and pure performance art.

I've watched Clark for a while. She has a pattern of hyper-exaggeration. The collision is impossible to prove, but her theatrical reaction is pure Clark acting we see over and over.

I'm not saying that it would be a perfect fix. But if people ignore the announcements to allow opposing teams to get off the floor before rushing, and the arenas do not have the security staff to block the floor.....what do you do? Arenas have plenty of cameras.....and I'm guessing that these higher profile games have even more cameras. I have little doubt that they could identify individual students (who typically lead the court rush). Don't have to catch and eject every one. Just have to make the threat real so it's taken seriously.
They were just normal tourists visiting the capitol, er arena!

They've got cameras all over the place. Wouldn't be difficult to identify students (who attend the school) and remove their ticket privileges. Not saying that this should be the thing they jump too. Always make announcements in close games. Setup security.....specifically near the student sections. If those things don't work.....let people know that if they ignore the announcements and rush the court before the other team is off.....that they could have their access to games revoked.
There are more thoughtful suggestions here on preventative measures against a repeat of this tragedy than after most mass shootings! 👍

I would think the raised floor at Williams Arena would help with this as the security people could get up on the court prior to game finishing to hold off the crowd until the opponents get off the floor.
So very true! I was lingering after the OSU game and noticed a number of plus-sized women security staff lining the edge of the court. I thought to myself, “ self, if the students started climbing the court they might get their heads kicked or faces sat on.”

I've watched Clark for a while. She has a pattern of hyper-exaggeration. The collision is impossible to prove, but her theatrical reaction is pure Clark acting we see over and over.
Could say the same things about the Duke player and coach. He really didn't hustle off he floor like his teammate did when he saw the court storming. Also looked like he tried to trip the person and got the worst end of it.

let's also consider that the students who rush courts are putting themselves at risk. someone trips and falls down and they could get trampled by the other rushers. or some other fans that doesn't want to rush the court gets caught up in the melee.

maybe one of our resident Lawyers could address the issue of liability. if a fan is injured, are they just SOL or is someone liable?

let's also consider that the students who rush courts are putting themselves at risk. someone trips and falls down and they could get trampled by the other rushers. or some other fans that doesn't want to rush the court gets caught up in the melee.

maybe one of our resident Lawyers could address the issue of liability. if a fan is injured, are they just SOL or is someone liable?
Someone is a-l-w-a-y-s liable. We live in the Litigious States of America.

This isn't hard. Every school and conference should have a storming protocol in place and it's not hard to execute.

"Looks like we might have a storm coming Steve. Let's all get in place."

Announcement: Students please storm the court in the fashion pointed out in your ticket purchase.

League to teams: In the event of a storm, calmly move to the bench side of the court where security will rope off the area by forming a line parallel to the benches. Calmly exit to your locker rooms.

Party on!

This isn't hard. Every school and conference should have a storming protocol in place and it's not hard to execute.

"Looks like we might have a storm coming Steve. Let's all get in place."

Announcement: Students please storm the court in the fashion pointed out in your ticket purchase.

League to teams: In the event of a storm, calmly move to the bench side of the court where security will rope off the area by forming a line parallel to the benches. Calmly exit to your locker rooms.

Party on!
I watched the final seconds of the game on youtube and the big issue here is that Wake Forest did nothing to hold the students back at all it seems, and the second the clock hit zero they were on the court meaning the Duke players had zero time to clear the court.

Said in another post, don't really have any issue with court/field storming after big wins (although I think the definition of a big win is getting kind of muddled) but the opposing team needs time to get clear of the fans and fans need to leave them alone.

Duke player may certainly be milking it but you can clearly see fans getting in his face on the overhead view and another fan shoves him in the back. You can also see fans taunting the duke team area. That kind of crap is uncalled for and will be the reason court/field stormings get banned eventually.

Leave the other team alone, go celebrate with your team......shouldn't be that hard but obviously we all know there are lots of people that don't understand how to behave properly and do stupid sh!t.

Sure was taking his sweet ass time getting off the court?

Get out of there.

Agree that opposing players/coaches should be given time to get out before storming happens.

Laughable to think you're going to be able to stop thousands of people with even 100-200 security guards.

If you call police, fine. But you're putting 200 cops in a sports arena, instead of on the streets busting real crime, to arrest storm/field stormers?? Come on
Court/Field storming used to be a think in MLB/NFL/NBA games. Now it isn't.

I wonder if Chambliss ever touched the plate.

Not that it would be a simple matter, but this could be eliminated from the game if people wanted to badly enough. It's something that isn't tolerated in live musical performance, for example. Unless you want to be kicked out, banned from the facility permanently, and/or beaten to a pulp by Keith Richards, you don't even think about jumping up on stage.

Top Bottom