Is This Ben's Best Ever July Roster?

Is This Ben's Best Ever July Roster?

• Total voters

60's Guy

Reaction score
We added Tyler Cochran today. We were arguably pretty solid before that.
We have a lot of experience.
First year was a gritty roster but...
2nd year we didn't do so well.
3rd year was his best but everybody but Fox, Mitchell and Garcia left. Betts remains but hasn't played.
So year 4 is a new group like many college basketball teams.
Tyler Cochran 6-2 SR
Trey Edmonds 6-10 SR
Caleb Williams 6-2 SR
Brennan Rigsby 6-3 SR
Lu'Cye Patterson 6-2 SR
Lincoln Meister 6-9 SR
Femi Odukale 6-6 SR
Mike Mitchell 6-2 SR
Parker Fox 6-8 SR
Dawson Garcia 6-11 SR
Ladies and Gentlemen: That is 10 Seniors..."Old Wins"
Plus, Frank Mitchell 6-8 JR
Grayson Grove 6-9 FR
Isaac Asuma 6-3 FR
and then
Kadyn Betts 6-8 SO
Max Seridan 6-0 SO
Erick Reader 6-8 SO
That's 16 guys!
How many play? Do the 10 Seniors all get a chance to show their value in non conference?
Frank Mitchell will play...right?
Isaac Asuma will play right? That's 12 guys!!!! Kadyn Betts is 13!!!!

VERY, out of character for Ben. Gotta give those 13 guys a chance, right?
We may platoon groups of 5. :)

Last edited:

I was inclined to say no and that last year's roster was better, but I wasn't super confident in last year's roster before the season either. I will defer judgement until the end of the season ;)

I'm counting about 9 seniors...and about 1 each of juniors, sophomores, and freshman...vying for playing time.

I'm interested in this. Having an all-senior team every year.

3rd year was his best but everybody but Fox, Mitchell and Garcia left. Betts remains but hasn't played.
Tyler Cochran 6-2 SR
Trey Edmonds 6-10 SR
Caleb Williams 6-2 SR
Brennan Rigsby 6-3 SR
Lu'Cye Patterson 6-2 SR
Lincoln Meister 6-9 SR
Femi Odukale 6-6 SR
Mike Mitchell 6-2 SR
Parker Fox 6-8 SR
Dawson Garcia 6-11 SR
Grayson Grove 6-9 FR
Isaac Asuma 6-3 FR
and then
Kadyn Betts 6-8 SO
Max Seridan 6-0 SO
Erick Reader 6-8 SO
That's 16 guys!
How many play? Do the 10 Seniors all get a chance to show their value in non conference?

The 👃smells Yes, Yes, Yes and did I mention Yes

Tyler Cochran 6-2 SR
Trey Edmonds 6-10 SR
Caleb Williams 6-2 SR
Brennan Rigsby 6-3 SR
Lu'Cye Patterson 6-2 SR
Lincoln Meister 6-9 SR
Femi Odukale 6-6 SR
Mike Mitchell 6-2 SR
Parker Fox 6-8 SR
Dawson Garcia 6-11 SR
Grayson Grove 6-9 FR
Isaac Asuma 6-3 FR
and then
Kadyn Betts 6-8 SO
Max Seridan 6-0 SO
Erick Reader 6-8 SO
That's 16 guys!

If Ben can settle on a rotation this team with this level of experience and depth should be basketball smart and capable of playing up tempo basketball and literally make it 40 minutes of hell for other teams to play them, especially at home! I see no reason why this team should not be capable of finishing anywhere from 8th to 12th in the conference. I know the pundits do not rate the talent level that highly but I like how this team fits together as a whole. It should be a interesting year, and hopefully a fun year!
We shall see when they roll out the ball this fall! In the meantime we ought to be getting a idea now from the summer workouts just what we have going here and what we have to work with!

Top to bottom it is. First 3 years he probably had more high end talent (Willis & Battle, Battle & Garcia, Garcia & Christie) but less of a bench overall. He didn’t light any scholarships on fire this year though like he has in previous years, hopefully someone can emerge as a legitimate #2 scoring option to Garcia

Top to bottom it is. First 3 years he probably had more high end talent (Willis & Battle, Battle & Garcia, Garcia & Christie) but less of a bench overall. He didn’t light any scholarships on fire this year though like he has in previous years, hopefully someone can emerge as a legitimate #2 scoring option to Garcia
I think that'll be Mike Mitchell Jr. Having them 2 running it back is huge. That helps so much with chemistry.
I'm curious how many minutes Asuma is going to have.

My best guess for who will get playing time are as follows. Guards : Mike Mitchell, Cochran, Patterson and Asuma. For Center/Forward: Frank Mitchell, Garcia, Fox, Edmonds, Odukale and maybe Betts since as we well know he ran off Battle.

My best guess for who will get playing time are as follows. Guards : Mike Mitchell, Cochran, Patterson and Asuma. For Center/Forward: Frank Mitchell, Garcia, Fox, Edmonds, Odukale and maybe Betts since as we well know he ran off Battle.
IMO, add Williams immediately and
Rigsby BEFORE February and
Asuma replaces Rigsby in February.

Last edited:

I was inclined to say no and that last year's roster was better, but I wasn't super confident in last year's roster before the season either. I will defer judgement until the end of the season ;)

We have no one like Hawkins but hardly anyone does. Given the sheer number of qualified and experienced players, I'd say this roster definitely is better than last year's.

Offensive skill no- defensive ability yes.

Besides not having Hawkins, who else of the top players is less skilled? Christie was great part of the time but he shot less than 40% in 16 games last season. I'm confident that the soph Christie would have been more consistent than the freshman Christie but no collegiate program will ever be able to prove that.

Depth wise yes, skill wise no
You may be right but I think it is too early to know for sure. Going into last season we had no idea Hawkins was going to have the kind of season that he did.

As to the roster - definitely the deepest and most experienced roster Johnson has had going into a season. Will be interesting to see how the playing time shakes out and who emerges from the group of new faces.

Tough to say whether or not it is the best with all the new faces.

We have no one like Hawkins but hardly anyone does. Given the sheer number of qualified and experienced players, I'd say this roster definitely is better than last year's.
It would be awesome if this team CBJ has assembled could just play basketball for each other and not worry about their individual accomplishments. There's a lot of guys that hopefully can do a lot of things well and mask the deficiencies of each other (height/ strength/ offensive ability/ etc.). That would be the ultimate goal: Can 13 guys that could potentially positively contribute coexist? It sounds like a season of The Real World!

It would be awesome if this team CBJ has assembled could just play basketball for each other and not worry about their individual accomplishments. There's a lot of guys that hopefully can do a lot of things well and mask the deficiencies of each other (height/ strength/ offensive ability/ etc.). That would be the ultimate goal: Can 13 guys that could potentially positively contribute coexist? It sounds like a season of The Real World!

Well said!

Of course minutes don’t always translate to being successful, but looking at it shows their experience.
Here’s the minutes on Hawkins, a starter in all 3 of his collegiate years: 2850
New guys
Cochran-2946
Odukale-3083
Patterson-3238

Yes, this team has guys who have seen it all. Unfortunately, assuming that Johnson has acceptable success next season, he's going to have to recruit almost a whole new team for the following year.

Yes, this team has guys who have seen it all. Unfortunately, assuming that Johnson has acceptable success next season, he's going to have to recruit almost a whole new team for the following year.
Recruiting a new team from year to year may turn out being the new norm, regardless of if it's a senior heavy team or not

All depends on how you - or Ben - put the pieces together. Playing time -rotations - tempo - schemes on O and D. Those decisions will determine how far this team can go. (also have to stay healthy)
It doesn't matter what the quality of talent is. Based on the last two years, Ben runs a 7 to 9 person rotation in games. He grants playing time to those he deems worthy, which alienates, disheartens and demotivates players 10 through 12. We saw it with Carrington, Payne and even Christie. The closer they got to the bottom of the playing time list, the more dissatisfied they were.

Welcome to the new NCAA MBB World.

Recruiting a new team from year to year may turn out being the new norm, regardless of if it's a senior heavy team or not

Yeah, but that result is guaranteed with a team of almost all seniors. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad the coach did what he did this offseason but recruiting this many transfers each season is going to be tough. If he does well this season, he may take a chance and recruit a larger group of freshmen and underclassmen transfers next season.

How could this be a better roster? We didn’t sign anyone as good as Hawkins, Christie or Payne.

Outside of Garcia, we have a team full of role players. They lack the high end talent.

How could this be a better roster? We didn’t sign anyone as good as Hawkins, Christie or Payne.

Outside of Garcia, we have a team full of role players. They lack the high end talent.
And the people rating teams preseason have rear end talent.
Go ahead and bet the family fortune on their picks and then explain to your family why you are now living at the homeless shelter.

Top Bottom