Is this already a succesful season?

Saying we control our own destiny when we have OSU on the schedule is not a genuine statement.
Assuming wisconsin does not beat OSU, Minnesota does win the West with winning all remaining games bar OSU, and one loss each for Iowa and Nebraska.

IA/NE play so one will lose for sure, so only way Minnesota wins ‘em all except OSU and does not win the West is if Wisconsin beats OSU and all other foes, or if either Iowa or Nebraska runs the table.

Yeah, it’s that whole “ and one loss …” where “control your own destiny” literally cannot be applied.

Memorable? Yes. Successful? Not yet. But it should be.

Not to get super philosophical about this, but in life, we all tend to take for granted the good things and focus on the things that weren't so good.

Take Iowa. It's not a great football team but they are a good football team. They will likely be favored in their last 4 games (10-2 / 7-2 team) but I would say the most likely outcome is that they will go 9-3 (6-3). This team is right in line with how their teams have been the last 5 years. This is not a terrible Iowa team.

Iowa ran for 200 yards against Wisconsin. They ran for 180 years against Purdue. Their defense turned over Michigan State 4 times. Going to Iowa City and beating a decent Iowa team by completely eliminating their running game and playing a clean game on offense is an accomplishment. It's been something some much better Gopher teams couldn't pull off against similarly-situated Iowa teams.

Iowa has a bad offense but our rush defense was really really good on Saturday.
I appreciate your post!

You aren't the first person I have seen say something like this and I gotta say I just don't get it. Are style points really that important to some of you that you can't truly enjoy a win if it isn't convincing enough?

Team went down to Iowa and came back with Floyd.....how it happened really doesn't matter, what matters is they got it done.....I don't give a crap if we had to slog it out in an ugly game for the win, we got the Win. After years of frustration, including a couple of times where we lost games we could have/should have won, beating Iowa feels amazing, style points be damned.
I think you your bolding of my comment missed the context:
  • I am glad we won, but that victory didn't feel like something I can be proud of to the same degree I was with the Axe the last few years.
I have more pride over the Axe victories not because of style points, but because it didn't feel contentious. The Iowa fan base, and coach think they won the game. Plenty of national pundits agree.

Of course all that matters is we got a W - but if I stack up this victory against others, it wouldn't be high on my list. Anyway, I'm not trying to be the guy to shit on a W, but last year's game was also a grind and had we pulled it off I would have stormed that field.

• I am glad we won, but that victory didn't feel like something I can be proud of to the same degree I was with the Axe the last few years.
I have more pride over the Axe victories not because of style points, but because it didn't feel contentious. The Iowa fan base, and coach think they won the game. Plenty of national pundits agree.

Of course all that matters is we got a W - but if I stack up this victory against others, it wouldn't be high on my list. Anyway, I'm not trying to be the guy to shit on a W, but last year's game was also a grind and had we pulled it off I would have stormed that field.
I guess it is all in how you choose to look at things. I am as excited about beating Iowa as I was about beating Wisconsin a few years ago ending that long losing streak. Wins over our top rivals have been tough to come by....so I don't take any of them for granted.

The only reason this one is contentious at all is because the one ref who should have made the call didn't and now you have a whole bunch of people who don't understand the rules complaining about a play that never should have happened in the first place. Anyone saying Iowa got screwed is looking at it emotionally or just flat out doesn't understand what they are talking about. Iowa didn't get screwed because the correct call was made. They may not like it but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Not to get super philosophical about this, but in life, we all tend to take for granted the good things and focus on the things that weren't so good.

Take Iowa. It's not a great football team but they are a good football team. They will likely be favored in their last 4 games (10-2 / 7-2 team) but I would say the most likely outcome is that they will go 9-3 (6-3). This team is right in line with how their teams have been the last 5 years. This is not a terrible Iowa team.

Iowa ran for 200 yards against Wisconsin. They ran for 180 years against Purdue. Their defense turned over Michigan State 4 times. Going to Iowa City and beating a decent Iowa team by completely eliminating their running game and playing a clean game on offense is an accomplishment. It's been something some much better Gopher teams couldn't pull off against similarly-situated Iowa teams.

Like you, I'm very happy we beat Iowa, although I'm not sure we beat a good team. They have a ton of injuries on offense piling up week after week, including at the most important position of quarterback which has forced them to play what appears to be a very bad backup. We played them after our bye week so were fresh and had a ton of time to game plan. They had three turnovers to our zero. The stars really aligned and we just eked it out.

I think Iowa could struggle for the rest of the year. Their defense is very good and their offense is terrible. They could win or lose any game they play the rest of the way. Last year, we were the better team and lost, I'm glad we had some luck on our side this year and took home the "W"!!!

I agree with Texan Gopher that if we can win all three local trophies from Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin in the same year, that's a really good year for me.. I prefer to be realistic. It also would help us recruiting our region because we bump up against those three schools the most. We'd be beating NE & WI regularly and just got the Iowa monkey off our back. We could show we're a consistent, stable program that is slowly, but steadily on the rise in our area.

So let's go 4 & 2 the rest of the way. Beat Wisconsin! Ohio State is a loss. Take two out of three between MI State, Purdue and Illinois. That's very doable and would make me a happy guy!!!

Interesting, the whining and moaning from Ferentz and the Hawkeye fan base has only made me enjoy the win that much more.

Like you, I'm very happy we beat Iowa, although I'm not sure we beat a good team. They have a ton of injuries on offense piling up week after week, including at the most important position of quarterback which has forced them to play what appears to be a very bad backup. We played them after our bye week so were fresh and had a ton of time to game plan. They had three turnovers to our zero. The stars really aligned and we just eked it out.

I think Iowa could struggle for the rest of the year. Their defense is very good and their offense is terrible. They could win or lose any game they play the rest of the way. Last year, we were the better team and lost, I'm glad we had some luck on our side this year and took home the "W"!!!

I agree with Texan Gopher that if we can win all three local trophies from Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin in the same year, that's a really good year for me.. I prefer to be realistic. It also would help us recruiting our region because we bump up against those three schools the most. We'd be beating NE & WI regularly and just got the Iowa monkey off our back. We could show we're a consistent, stable program that is slowly, but steadily on the rise in our area.

So let's go 4 & 2 the rest of the way. Beat Wisconsin! Ohio State is a loss. Take two out of three between MI State, Purdue and Illinois. That's very doable and would make me a happy guy!!!
I meant 3 & 2 the rest of the way so we end up at 7-5, but you get my point!

lol....I'm optimistic in general but we are not beating Ohio State this year unless something crazy happens (which it could).

Winning 4 of the remaining 5 is a reasonable goal because Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue and Wisconsin are all very mediocre teams this year.
We are not beating Ohio State at Columbus under any known circumstance. But winning five of six in the second half of the season makes it successful.

It is pretty crazy in a season coming off losing a 5 year starter at QB and one of the all time leading rushers plus a lot of the front end of the defense that if the gophers beat Michigan state on Saturday they will enter November controlling their own destiny for a big ten title when at least a strong contingent wanted the coach fired a couple weeks ago.

And they currently control their own destiny for the conference
Accounting for a loss at OSU, we do not currently control our own destiny. We need someone to give Iowa another loss for that to be true. I think that is definitely in the realm of clear possibility ... probably Nebraska and/or Rutgers can give us a hand.

A guy waved his hands too much, or this board is nuclear. Think about that.
If he doesn't waive his hands we play it as a live play and a kick return as soon as he picks it up. The reason for the rule is for the other team to know if it's real or not.

This isn’t a very good team right now. The Iowa season was awesome and it finally went MN’s way instead of the other way around.

The feeling/mood around the team will change week to week. That’s just human nature. At least we can quit talking about the Iowa streak.

since we're getting into "what-ifs" here.......

If Kaliakmanis completed more than 40% of his passing attempts, the game would not have come down to a negated punt return.

in his last two games, AK's passing line is 15 of 40 (37.5%) for 178 yds with 1 TD and 2 INT. for the season - completing 53.4% with 6 TD and 6 INT.

by comparison, Deacon Hill in his last two games: 16 of 42 (38.1% for 153 yds with 0 TD and 1 INT.

Yes, AK is relatively young and inexperienced.

But, IF the Gophers want to end with a successful season, they need better play out of the QB position. and right now, it looks like AK is the only option, so it's on him - and the coaches - to find a way to get more production in the passing game.
AK did not look good Saturday. Not comfortable, not good throwing motion, not confident. Still, if Croom
since we're getting into "what-ifs" here.......

If Kaliakmanis completed more than 40% of his passing attempts, the game would not have come down to a negated punt return.

in his last two games, AK's passing line is 15 of 40 (37.5%) for 178 yds with 1 TD and 2 INT. for the season - completing 53.4% with 6 TD and 6 INT.

by comparison, Deacon Hill in his last two games: 16 of 42 (38.1% for 153 yds with 0 TD and 1 INT.

Yes, AK is relatively young and inexperienced.

But, IF the Gophers want to end with a successful season, they need better play out of the QB position. and right now, it looks like AK is the only option, so it's on him - and the coaches - to find a way to get more production in the passing game.
AK did not look good Saturday. Not comfortable, not a good throwing motion, and not confident. Still, if Crooms catches at least four of the balls he dropped and Spann-Ford catches the one right in his hands, AK ends up 15-21 and close to 200 yards.

In that case we would not be calling it a terrible passing game.

It's unfortunate that beating Iowa would somehow qualify the season as a success in anyone's mind. I'm reminded of 2010. Brewster is fired midyear and there were a lot more "L's" than "W's." Beating Iowa and bringing home Floyd home was a great feel good moment in a long ugly season, but no one would call 2010 a success in any way, shape or form.
2010 is in the books. 2023 is mid-point. Not comparable.

Question for Board members. In many many ways, 2023 has been a frustrating season. Well, it certanly felt that way to me after the Michigan game. BUT........is this now a successful season? I mean, beating Iowa gets that losing streak "monkey" off of Fleck's back, and feels very sweet.

And of course there is some hope that, warts and all, we can win a few more games and participate in a decent Bowl game. But what say you? Succesful at this point? Partially successful? Still kind of "sucky"?

Personally I would *also* like a victory over Bucky this year. Call me greedy......
and... a Bowl game!

This stuff is just football to me.

I don't think anyone would be giving any excuses to the Gophers because we played without one of our best players on defense. Our running back room (which I'd argue is every bit as important as Iowa's QB room) was decimated with injuries and turnovers are forced. We had them in 3rd and long all game because we did the most important thing when you're playing Iowa - we stopped the run.

As much as we outplayed Iowa last year, we outgained them by more this year.

Question for Board members. In many many ways, 2023 has been a frustrating season. Well, it certanly felt that way to me after the Michigan game. BUT........is this now a successful season? I mean, beating Iowa gets that losing streak "monkey" off of Fleck's back, and feels very sweet.

And of course there is some hope that, warts and all, we can win a few more games and participate in a decent Bowl game. But what say you? Succesful at this point? Partially successful? Still kind of "sucky"?

Personally I would *also* like a victory over Bucky this year. Call me greedy......
Lol

At the start of the season I would have been happy with whatever so long as we beat iowa and wisconsin. Now I'm so frustrated with our lack of offense that I'm struggling to be happy with anything. I have appreciated all of your posts on what was good about the iowa game. I'm not quite ready to appreciate it yet. It will help me alot if we demolish Michigan State this weekend. Right now I'm just aggravated that our team is not better.

Last edited:

I'm not sure it was/is a strong contingent calling for Fleck to be fired. It was/is a weak whiny contingent but strong isn't a word I would associate with them :)

It is frustrating to see the team take a little bit of a step back this year but there has been a lot of massive over reactions on this board as well. Unfortunately the football board has become a lot like the basketball board and that is really disappointing.
You are very much so holier than thou and you probably see yourself as a very loyal and great fan. I think you have your head buried in the sand. If you don’t think we have coaching issues on both offense and special teams and maybe a game or two on D (Northwestern second-half being an example) then you are clueless. PJ and his very inexperienced staff have a hard time competing with the other staff that shows up most Saturdays.

I say no, we should make a bowl and beat Wisconsin, plus, I think we have a lot of YOUNG players. Give them development and show some improvement going into the end of the sesason. The Northwestern game was terrible and our offense still looks non-existent. To be successful, win against Wisconsin and develop Taylor / AK /some WR and continue to develop the D

Successful to this point? No. The complete collapse in Q4+ at UNW is a disqualifier. You can't lose to the bottom team in the conference and claim success. Now, should the Gophers win three of he next five, I'd call the season a success.

This stuff is just football to me.

I don't think anyone would be giving any excuses to the Gophers because we played without one of our best players on defense. Our running back room (which I'd argue is every bit as important as Iowa's QB room) was decimated with injuries and turnovers are forced. We had them in 3rd and long all game because we did the most important thing when you're playing Iowa - we stopped the run.

As much as we outplayed Iowa last year, we outgained them by more this year.
It’s been tough without Cody but Baranowski is developing into one of the best young players in the league. Williams is coming along too. Even Selig, who has been disappointing playing hurt, showed up Saturday.

If he doesn't waive his hands we play it as a live play and a kick return as soon as he picks it up. The reason for the rule is for the other team to know if it's real or not.
Are you saying we didn't play it as real?

If so, ah, what?

Not yet.

Given the schedule and the personnel losses from last season, I would say that a 7-5 regular season finish should be regarded as reasonably successful. A 6-6 finish would be a "I guess it could have been worse" feeling. However, if we get sent to the Quick Lane Bowl to face a MAC team, that will leave a bitter taste.
Especially if the Gophers don't keep that bowl winning streak alive.

Top Bottom