Is there any precedent...

MBAGuy

Needs something to cheer about
Reaction score
at the BCS-conference level for the head football coach to also be the AD? I assume there's not, given the potential conflicts of interest that could arise in such a scenario. But I know that it's fairly common in Divisions II and III.

The reason I ask is I'm not sure we'll be able to land a high-quality coach when there's no idea who our next AD will be. Support from the AD's office will be integral to the success of the next coach and convincing someone to come here without knowing who their boss will be may prove difficult. Combining the positions, at least on a temporary basis, may help resolve that.

I know it's probably an asinine suggestion. Was just wondering if it's ever been done before.

I think Bo Schembechler and Barry Alvarez did it for one year. Both were on their way out as head coaches tough.

Bob Devaney did it for 5 years at Nebraska. Ended up appointing Tom Osborne as head football coach and focusing on the AD job. Worked out alright for all parties.

Are you suggesting that Joel Maturi be the next head coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers? You heard it here folks! :p

No, I think he wants them both gone. Now the question should be "has anyone ever been HC, AD and Prez at the same time?".

Top Bottom