Is there a good offense in the Big Ten West this year?

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Non-conf stats can be misleading but through the non-conf portion of the schedule there is not a single offense in the West that looks good.

The top 5 scoring offenses in the Big Ten are from the East and the only team in the West that can crack the top 8 is Purdue (and their number is being driven by the 49 they scored on UCONN).

On paper I would say we have the potential to have the best offense in the division but we certainly didn't show that against Bowling Green. Looking around the division it is simply a dumpster fire of offensive ineptness to this point in the season.

Iowa is winning with their defense and doing just enough on offense to get by. Purdue has a ton of injuries on offense right now. Wisconsin has looked like hot garbage when their defense isn't on the field. Nebraska seemingly has athletes and playmakers but can't get out of their own way, especially when they have the football. And finally, Illinois and Northwestern just look like a complete mess on offense and not much better on defense.

Going to be interesting to see how the remainder of the season plays out but as it stands right now there isn't an offense in the entire Big Ten West that looks explosive. Won't shock me if we see a lot of low scoring games over the course of the conference season.

Nebraska might have the best offense and might have the 3rd best defense.

but they are already 0-2
It’s gonna be a goofy year. 7-5 might get second in the west.

Here is what people need to see before jumping off the deep end. The West is pretty wide open and will be all year. However, if Iowa sweeps the next two games at Maryland and home to Penn State to go 3-0 against the East, it's pretty much over for the rest of the West and everyone is playing for second.

Nebraska might have the best offense and might have the 3rd best defense.

but they are already 0-2
It’s gonna be a goofy year. 7-5 might get second in the west.
After Illinois debacle, thought Nebraska was in for rough year

They're going to be tough out, glad it's at the Bank

After Illinois debacle, thought Nebraska was in for rough year

They're going to be tough out, glad it's at the Bank
Nebraska's defense could get them some W's that people don't expect. The Illinois loss will haunt them in the end. Watched that game and they were the better team.

Nebraska's defense could get them some W's that people don't expect. The Illinois loss will haunt them in the end. Watched that game and they were the better team.
That has kind of been the MO under Frost. Nebraska often looks like the better team but manages to find a way to lose. Frost's record at Nebraska is like 5-15 in one score games. And he has done this with Adrian Martinez under center for basically his entire run at Nebraska.

By comparison, Fleck has gone 12-7 in one score games to this point (might not be exact, was just doing a quick look at the schedules over the seasons). And that includes going 1-3 in 1 score games in 2017 with one of the worst QB situations in recorded history.

The Big Ten west is situated in farm country. It doesn't produce high end athletes like it does out east. Plus Ohio State pays all their high end athletes. When you don't have a roster full of 4 and 5 star skill players, you can only win here playing the kind of game that the Gophers, Iowa and Wisconsin do. Get yourself a good offensive line and slow the game down.

Not yet. Iowa allegedly has some budding playmakers but I haven’t watched much of them, yet.

I’ll defer to those of you that have watched the Iowa games but IMO still too soon to tell the class of the conference. Probably Iowa, but I’m not 100% convinced. Indiana‘s Penix has had a really, really rough year. Iowa State seems to have regressed.

By Halloween should have a much better idea how this thing is going to go.

We're headded for a 0-3 or 0-2 game sometime this year in the west.

Badgers have petitioned the league to see if they can play defense all the time. They figure they would have a better chance of scoring.

I still think we have the most balanced attack in the West. I don't know WTF happened on Saturday, but looked pretty good in Boulder

Badgers have petitioned the league to see if they can play defense all the time. They figure they would have a better chance of scoring.
Iowa would probably be all over this as well as I think their D has scored multiple TDs. We are going to face some good defenses but if we can figure out how to be efficient on offense there are a lot of wins left on the schedule......if we can figure out how to be efficient on offense....which after Saturday is not a sure thing.

Top Bottom