Is the WBB imploding this season?

hungan1

Reaction score
Is it going to get worst before it gets better? Destiny Pitts is gone. We have few players that are injured. They have a short rotation.

What is the identity of the Gophers basketball team? They have to fight through the failures and learn from them as a team.

I hope all the players stay intact after this season. What I hope is that the team will get better as the season progresses into next year.

Would like the players to stay too, but adding a little size for the BIG season would be nice.

Whalen is in over her head at this moment in time. The man to man defense this team plays without adequate post never changes. Last year they at least had Bello bring pressure full court as point forward. To much 3 man game passing, with nobody willing to create or hit shots. Team cannot box anyone out that has size advantage. Have not lost to Badger's since 2012 and this year they dispatched us with dominate third quarter. I need a break to much complaining, I would just like them to get better. I miss Pitts already she was entertaining to watch and good player. Oh well hopefully they can turn page find players willing to step up be better.

Wait! Aren't you the "Whalen Effect" guy?:)

I still am. There is a lot of learning, patience, and humility along the way and recruiting. They have three nice players signed for next year.

I am beginning to wonder if the hiring of close friends as assistant coaches was a smart move. There are other more experienced former head coaches she could have hired that will help mentor her and help run the basketball program. There is more to it than basketball. Nothing against her assistant coaches, but are they the right fit for a head coach who has zero coaching experience? Hopefully, if any of the coaches move on she'll find replacements with winning records as head coaches.

I am beginning to wonder if the hiring of close friends as assistant coaches was a smart move. There are other more experienced former head coaches she could have hired that will help mentor her and help run the basketball program. There is more to it than basketball. Nothing against her assistant coaches, but are they the right fit for a head coach who has zero coaching experience? Hopefully, if any of the coaches move on she'll find replacements with winning records as head coaches.

This is so on point! Great post!

That's hard as they are probably still HCs. Fair to question to fit, but our asst coaches are pretty solid and well thought of. The head job that Curry took is ridiculously hard and not supported so I don't judge her record there. Kent State isn't a powerhouse either and they still have experiences they can share. As a fit I cannot speak for that and sadly that's a wait and see game.

We are only in year 2. I always like to give 4 years before I truly call it a dumpster fire. Will be interesting to see if it stays together.

If experience is suddenly so important to you why were you pushing for Whalen as a head coach? It’s okay to use Whalen as a figurehead or puppet, while all the real work is done by the competent assistants? I mean, that’s kind of how it worked the first season when Whalen wasn’t all-in on being a Gophers head coach. She was splitting time as a player with the Lynx. This whole process was a joke, tbh. They would never ever do this at a school that is at a serious level for women’s basketball. Can you imagine Geno retiring and UConn decided to replace her with Tina Charles and just hope for the best? Never would happen.

It's ironic that the person who started this thread was previously one of Whalen's biggest boosters. For someone that was previously wearing rose-colored glasses, the sky is now apparently falling. It's certainly your prerogative to change your mind, but, IMO, that's a very quick turn. I too was in full support of Whalen's hiring. Although I acknowledge that the Pitts fiasco could seriously damage the program and her chances to succeed, I'm still of the belief that she'll get it figured out.

I am just asking questions. I still still believe she will succeed at MN. She needs to weather this bridge over troubled waters.

There are a lot of lessons learned when the going gets tough. The team and the coaches need to close ranks and rally together. There will be transfers, but those who stay behind are going to be better because of experiencing the struggles.

They need a signature win to get back on track. They have an opportunity in the next four games to get in sync. Three being home games.

Last edited:

They will be fine as long as they bring in good players. I think so far she has brought in and signed good players so as long as that continues they will get better as Whalen's program management skills improve to the point they meet her basketball knowledge.

They had 7 good quarters against Iowa and Purdue but last two games they were flat and quite honestly didn’t look like they were having fun. If they could win a couple of games maybe that will provide a spark. There still is talent on this team, no reason they can’t win a game or 2. Go Gophers!

This season is the Pitts.

Top Bottom