Is the Foundation of College Basketball Built on Cheating?

alchemy2u

Reaction score
We now have direct evidence that many of the most successful and "marque" programs in college basketball cheat to win and keep their stature as the top programs in the country. Duke, UNC, Kansas, Arizona, Kentucky, etc.. are all paying players/families/handlers or arranging fake classes. All of the national hype is centered around those same programs. All of the top recruits want to play for those programs. It has become a farce in that everyone knows they cheat, but nothing is done about it. This hype, and the acceptance of the lie, brings in the revenue that funds the sports. So, one could say the current state of college basketball is based upon cheating. It is like Al Capone winning business man of the year, and everyone turns a blind eye.

The thrill of college basketball where you see the development of young players and the underdog win is overshadowed by the cheating "blue blood".

What do you guys think?

We now have direct evidence that many of the most successful and "marque" programs in college basketball cheat to win and keep their stature as the top programs in the country. Duke, UNC, Kansas, Arizona, Kentucky, etc.. are all paying players/families/handlers or arranging fake classes. All of the national hype is centered around those same programs. All of the top recruits want to play for those programs. It has become a farce in that everyone knows they cheat, but nothing is done about it. This hype, and the acceptance of the lie, brings in the revenue that funds the sports. So, one could say the current state of college basketball is based upon cheating. It is like Al Capone winning business man of the year, and everyone turns a blind eye.

The thrill of college basketball where you see the development of young players and the underdog win is overshadowed by the cheating "blue blood".

What do you guys think?
I agree. One thing I think is that if all those schools were put on probation, the ncaa wouldnt miss them as much as people think. I love and will watch college basketball with or without those teams. Indiana is a storied program, but hasnt done much for awhile now. Weve all gotten by without them.

What do you guys think?
There is a hell of a lot of truth to this. It is deplorable that most of of them have not been punished. USC got punished severely and they are a storied program and the sport did not suffer. Louisville was punished and they did not suffer. ESPN continues to hype the brand of cheating programs. That is why I love it when a clean program comes along and beats those cheaters but it would be better if the clean programs won all the time and became the dynasties, the new brands. The deck is stacked against them but they have done remarkably well.

I agree. One thing I think is that if all those schools were put on probation, the ncaa wouldnt miss them as much as people think. I love and will watch college basketball with or without those teams. Indiana is a storied program, but hasnt done much for awhile now. Weve all gotten by without them.
I agree, many people think the NCAA is afraid of punishing the "blue bloods" because it will hurt the sport. I think is hurts the sport not to punish them. Other teams will step up and be a better examples of the principles and lessons that we want young men to learn.

You always have to follow the money. All of the players (at least the productive ones) are getting paid one way or another. And they should be.

Even the iconic John Wooden was paying his players. Except he never touched the money. The transactions were handled by Sam Gilbert.

I agree, many people think the NCAA is afraid of punishing the "blue bloods" because it will hurt the sport. I think is hurts the sport not to punish them. Other teams will step up and be a better examples of the principles and lessons that we want young men to learn.
Exactly! North carolina wouldnt have made tourney this year. I would not have been on suicide watch. Everybody would have been ok!

You always have to follow the money. All of the players (at least the productive ones) are getting paid one way or another. And they should be.

Even the iconic John Wooden was paying his players. Except he never touched the money. The transactions were handled by Sam Gilbert.
Your flat out lying that all productive players are paid one way or another is simply not true. Some programs and coaches, players, families and administrators take this stuff seriously. Your accusing Carr and Oturu of being paid. Richard Coffey would kill someone if the tried paying his son.

At one of my son’s travel tournaments this past winter I was talking with the father of one of his teammates whose brother-in-law is an AAU coach in Chicago. He said payments to players are rampant, only not directly. The model is to launder the cash through local churches in the inner city, which take their cut then pass the rest along to the family under the guise of providing needed assistance. No fingerprints, nothing traceable. Everybody gets paid and the schools/shoe companies get their guys.

At one of my son’s travel tournaments this past winter I was talking with the father of one of his teammates whose brother-in-law is an AAU coach in Chicago. He said payments to players are rampant, only not directly. The model is to launder the cash through local churches in the inner city, which take their cut then pass the rest along to the family under the guise of providing needed assistance. No fingerprints, nothing traceable. Everybody gets paid and the schools/shoe companies get their guys.
There is no doubt it happens. I have actually seen cash exchange hands. Just not everyone does it and why some coaches target kids and families not in those situations. Too many people think all players and families are poor and do not understand the level of resentment that some families feel towards those that try and give handouts. Not only are there a lot of folks that do not need it, there are so many that would not take it. The AAU guys around Minneapolis do not do it. Just like football, some are cheating some are not.

Very simple question for you all "rules thumpers":

if the general public really believed that the games themselves were rigged -- ie, the outcome was predetermined by some cabal -- would anyone actually watch the games???

Obvious answer: no, of course not.

Therefore, the games are not rigged. Which, duh, of course they aren't. No high-level team is guaranteed to win over any other high-level team.

Then ........ what are we talking about???!?!? What is "wrong", when Duke plays Kentucky??

Very simple question for you all "rules thumpers":

if the general public really believed that the games themselves were rigged -- ie, the outcome was predetermined by some cabal -- would anyone actually watch the games???

Obvious answer: no, of course not.

Therefore, the games are not rigged. Which, duh, of course they aren't. No high-level team is guaranteed to win over any other high-level team.

Then ........ what are we talking about???!?!? What is "wrong", when Duke plays Kentucky??
Duke and Kentucky choose to conduct themselves how they seem fit. All the better when what i support beats them.

Duke and Kentucky choose to conduct themselves how they seem fit. All the better when what i support beats them.
Which proves they aren't cheating on the court.

If every single school were perfect angels ..... they'd still need to split up the very limited number of 5* players in each class.

That's all it ever really "amounts to", who gets who. The rest of it is completely clean, when you're talking on the court. Which team, with the players it has, is a better basketball team.

That's what people should be caring about.

Which proves they aren't cheating on the court.

If every single school were perfect angels ..... they'd still need to split up the very limited number of 5* players in each class.

That's all it ever really "amounts to", who gets who. The rest of it is completely clean, when you're talking on the court. Which team, with the players it has, is a better basketball team.

That's what people should be caring about.
People should care about whatever they want.

If someone is giving you impunity to cheat, virtue aside, you're probably foolish not to.

Since this is the case with the NCAA and the blue bloods, i don't see how it ever changes much. Even when college athletes starting getting legitimately paid, schools/their boosters will just pay them more under the table, same as it is now.

This has been my position for decades. Those that have multiple titles cheat. Period.

And, it has been proven correct.

Top Bottom