Is sun an issue at Stadium?

go 31

Reaction score
I get to pick my seats at the Stadium this week and I'm undecided about the better side. There are many more seats available on the sunny, visitor side. Some think it will be warmer in the sun but it is likely that will really make any difference on a cold day? The other side of the question is the uncomfortable heat and glare from the low September and October sun. I doubt there is any overhang for shade. How have others chosen?

If it is a cold, overcast day in November it won't matter. However, from talking to friends that went to Madison it can be a 15 degree difference on an October day when the sun is shining.

As far as having the sun in your eyes, I have no idea whether it will matter. I'm not too worried about the sun at the 11 am games but toward the end of the 2:30 games in the fall it could be an issue. Maybe it won't matter with sunglasses but we have no idea until we're sitting in the stands.

Scooterville used to get a lot of sun as it set over the skyline, so I am guessing one on the ENE side would need some extra sun protection and sun glasses.

The biggest sun issue will be the 1st half vs AFA, the student section will be looking right into the sun. Also late in 2:30 games the sun might be an issue.

A coach might take that into consideration when choosing a side to defend at the beginning of a game or 2nd half.

Looking into the Sun is Miserable

If you have ever had seats located where the afternoon sun shines in your eyes, it is miserable. It is a lot more comfortable and enjoyable to "bundle up" and watch the game from the shadow side of the stadium. My advice, don't get seats that cause you to look into the sun....we will have some daytime games. That is why the visitors get those seats. Go Gophers! :eek:

I would think the sun will only be an issue when the 2:30 games run into the 3rd/4th quarter. I've sat in many outdoor stadiums and can't remember there being a problem with 11:00 or noon starts.
Besides, wouldn't the sun be going down behind (or close to) the large scoreboard?
If this is the case, then only those in the northeast corner and part of the closed end (student section) would be affected.
When it's overcast all bets are off.
One more thing: There is a considerable difference in temperature between sun and shade in October and November. I'd say at least 10-15 degrees. It will get chilly on the home side of the field.

Warning: During games at TCF, there may be a great, glowing yellow orb in the sky. With proper precautions, it can be dealt with. Do not stare at the orb, it may hurt your eyes. Prolonged exposure to the orb may burn your skin. Tinted plastic may be used to shield the eyes. However, you need not fear the orb. Do not cower before it, do not fall down and worship it, and under no circumstances are you to make human sacrifices to it.

I realize that many took great comfort in the dim gray glow of the Metrodome roof. But we can learn to live with the great glowing yellow sky orb.

Warning: During games at TCF, there may be a great, glowing yellow orb in the sky. With proper precautions, it can be dealt with. Do not stare at the orb, it may hurt your eyes. Prolonged exposure to the orb may burn your skin. Tinted plastic may be used to shield the eyes. However, you need not fear the orb. Do not cower before it, do not fall down and worship it, and under no circumstances are you to make human sacrifices to it.

I realize that many took great comfort in the dim gray glow of the Metrodome roof. But we can learn to live with the great glowing yellow sky orb.

Thank you! That was great. Seriously people, it's the sun, buy sunglasses. Enjoy it for 3+ hours each Saturday because it might be raining or snowing!!

I wholeheartedly agree with the last two posts. The most fun I've had in a long time was on the sunny side at the bowl game in Tempe. Such a welcome relief from the Humpty Dome. I will expose my retinas to nothing but Ray Ban's on the visitors side, or the back-end of cheerleaders on the home side. Who knows which seats I'll pick but I'd rather have some sun than none.

Sitting in the shade when it is cold is no fun!

I'm so going for the sunny side. We actually considered that as we've been looking at our seating options (we pick on 5/14). I have been down in WI at Camp Randall on a freezing November day. It was crazy cold in the shade. We envied those people who were in the sun -- because yes, it is warmer in the sun. I would rather wear sunglasses and have a few extra degrees of warmth than risk a shady spot.

Besides - there will be plenty of gopher fans on the "visitor" side.

Having been at a number of outdoor stadiums, we decided on being on the visitor side--nothing worse than having to bundle up on a beautiful, sunny 65 degree day.

2 years ago at Camp Randall in the student section (P, the one most on the sideline) was really chilly until the sun came out from behind the suite boxes behind us, And it wasn't a very cold day (and I don't ever get cold). The sun came out a little after kickoff and made a 10-15 degree difference, and I believe this was the middle of October. I would imagine the home side (where the sun may never hit it directly unless it is a September game due to the southern angle) would be mighty shady.

I don't think either is bad. We will still be outside and in a rockin' stadium.

I would think the sun will only be an issue when the 2:30 games run into the 3rd/4th quarter. I've sat in many outdoor stadiums and can't remember there being a problem with 11:00 or noon starts.

Since our stadium is going to be east-west and most stadiums are north-south, any comparison to sun angles and times of day from other stadiums is going to be meaningless. In our stadium the home side will be completely sheltered from staring into the sun (except for possibly the corner near the student section for September games), and the visitor side is going to take the brunt the entire season.

How big of a deal is watching a game directly into a sun? I don't know. Every outdoor football game I've been to has been cloudy, so I have no idea. Maybe the U will have a promotion for the first day game where the entire visitor side gets Gopher sun glasses.

I Sat In The Student Section @ Memorial

Which was on the 20 on the NE side (bowl end). Staring into the sun was brutal for some games, especially late in games. I figure it this way, 2 or 3 of 7 games will be at night, most years, and of the 4-5 that remain, 1/2 will be cloudy and/or raining/snowing, negating any solar power benefits. There is even a chance it could be hot for some of the early games.

The bottom line for me was simply the enjoyment of watching the game with the sun lighting your vistas from behind, making the colors even more vivid, and with memories of the opposite as being a negative.

Hence my choice for South Side, 2nd level/deck.

Either way, either choice - there is no "right" answer. Only personal preference.

People will never shut up about it.

A couple months ago, it was the "it's going to be too cold" thread. Then "it's too far to walk from parking" thread. Now, "it's too sunny" thread. Having we become a state of useless wussies? We used to revel in outdoor games here. Tailgating, sneaking alcohol in to stadiums to keep us warm we said, and always, always showing up. It was never a huge factor at Gopher games, everybody we played 25 years ago came from similar climates as us, but it sure made a difference to the fans.
As for the purple, a lot of short memories around here have forgotten that for about a decade, they won playoff games against the L.A. Rams, before the Rams got off the bus. They would see fans in the parking lot, eating , drinking, and throwing around footballs in short sleeves in 20 degree weather. The would come out of the locker room in all but parkas, and see Bill Brown in short sleeves too. I have played games in 100 degree heat, 33 degrees and a heavy downpour, (ok, that was miserable, and there where zero fans there), and an honest to God blizzard. None of this heavy snow = blizzard, people have seemed to changed that word to, but heavy snow and 40 mph and higher winds. A real North Country blizzard. The games went on and I'm happy to say say we won all three, and nobody died. Dress for the weather people, Sunny? wear a hat and sunglasses. Put the brim down to the top of the sunglasses, put a bottle of something down the front of your pants and you will survive. Cold? wear a couple of layers, put a bottle of something down the front of your pants, you will survive. Raining or snowing? wear a raincoat, put a bottle of something down the front of your pants, you will survive. But for heaven's sake, if you bring an umbrella, everybody who sits behind you should be allowed to take turns beating you with it. When did it become OK to block 10 people's view because you're a moron, and a World Class puss? They are called the elements, people and they were invented to keep us from getting bored. As for the walking from parking? I don't know what to say about that, it's not like it's going to be a 50 mile hike or something. Pace yourself, take liberal pulls from the bottle you have down the front of your pants, use the excuse of stopping to meet new people and old friends who are parking closer, exchange bottles in friendship toasts, catch your breath and keep walking. Enough already.

We've sat inside for far too many days when it would have been perfect to be outside for football. We don't play in December or January (unless it is a bowl game, for the nitpickers). Fall was made for football. If it's a little chilly, wear long underwear. Drink cocoa or coffee. Wear a sweater. Or if you must have perfet climate control, stay ant home and watch it on TV. Paint your living room a dull grey to simulate the dome.

WWRWLLTTQKAYDWU.20070104170655.jpg

Being outside has made TCF less attractive to many of the older fans. That's why I was not surprised that some long-time season ticket holder picked this year to quit buying. But 10,000+ students will more than make up for that loss. The point is, college football has to be played outside in the elements: sun, shade, rain or snow.

The Twinkies have this on their website: Sun Study. Because of all the buildings, and the fact that their stadium is essentially 2-3 stories underground and deeply enclosed on both the South and West sides, and games are played primarily after 6 PM, Target Field will have much less natural sunlight than TCF.

I hate 11 AM games, but it will be a good time for maxamizing sunlight, making it a much more attractive prospect than it was in the dome.

i find the title/question to this thread to be quite hilarious..."is sun an issue at stadium?" :D:D:D

i'm reminded of the movie...brubaker...in which robert redford becomes the prison warden...

redford orders those inmates held in solitary confinement to be released from their dark cells. in anticipation of their release, he secures a pair of sunglasses for each:cool::cool::cool:...their tender eyeballs aren't accustomed to the sun outdoors...:cool02::cool02::cool02:

curious to see if joel maturi will be handing out shades to the paying customers on 9-12-09??:cool::cool::cool:

everyone has been 'holed up' for more than a 1/4 century in the dome :eek::eek::eek:

Top Bottom