Is SKOR NORTH correct in saying that PJ is not a gameday coach? Is he not capable of reading and making adjustments?

Interesting take. I don't think it is how other programs do it, they are pretty much the opposite.
Well I'm sure he'd like the greatest this and that but you can't expect he'll get all of those. So then you try to get people that fit your style but even then you might guess wrong so you have to fit the round peg into the round hole.

I'm ok with jogging to the other side for reasons mentioned above. But not sprinting. That makes no sense. You're catching your breath after a sprint, and you'll lose quality time to listen to your coach. You need to rest up particularity if you've been on the field for a while.
If you’re a d1 athlete who is winded after a 28 yard jog and a 3 minute tv timeout we didn’t have a chance anyways

the "game management" questions are much more about use of time-outs, and handling key in-game decisions: going for it on 4th down, etc.

against Iowa, the Gophers used all 3 1st-half time-outs in the first 20 minutes of the half, leaving no time-outs available late in the half. that is the kind of thing that people are questioning when it comes to game management.

in all fairness, Fleck has been.....at the least....inconsistent in his time-out and clock management, and some of those decisions on 4th downs.

I'm sorry, but you're just searching for a problem here. PJ runs/sprints, his players jog. Now, what are the other antics on the sideline that bother you?
Was going to say the same thing. Shocking how hard some work to find a reason to be upset about something stupid.

1) What’s Skor North?

2) Go back the Nebraska and Iowa in-game thread; how did gopher fans react being down 10-0? Still think the coaching staff doesn’t make in-game adjustments?

3) Want you coach to be more aggressive because he’s too conservative? Like going for it on 4th on your side of the field (see Bowing Green and Purdue).

Thoughts on the 4th and 1 against Ohio State last year that got us back in that game?
That was a great call. We were heavy underdogs, didn't have anything going for us, and were going to need to take a significant risk and hope it paid off to have a chance against a team whose talent was significantly greater than ours.

Well I'm sure he'd like the greatest this and that but you can't expect he'll get all of those. So then you try to get people that fit your style but even then you might guess wrong so you have to fit the round peg into the round hole.
Oh, my point is that programs like Wisc and Iowa (most others as well) have a defined style of play, and they recruit to that style of play, not vice versa.

the "game management" questions are much more about use of time-outs, and handling key in-game decisions: going for it on 4th down, etc.

against Iowa, the Gophers used all 3 1st-half time-outs in the first 20 minutes of the half, leaving no time-outs available late in the half. that is the kind of thing that people are questioning when it comes to game management.

in all fairness, Fleck has been.....at the least....inconsistent in his time-out and clock management, and some of those decisions on 4th downs.
What are you talking about inconsistent about timeout use. He has been very consistent and that’s the problem people have lol

Explain Auburn and Georgia Tech Bowl games in which PJ out coached, out classed and brought pride back to Minnesota? Tired of the piss whiners

That was a great call. We were heavy underdogs, didn't have anything going for us, and were going to need to take a significant risk and hope it paid off to have a chance against a team whose talent was significantly greater than ours.
Be honest, is that what you were thinking at the time?

Don't know if it is a particular strength or weakness. We seem to get in hole a lot this year and then improve somewhat offensively as the game goes on (Nebraska, Purdue, Iowa). I think having superior talent makes all the difference in how people think of you as a gameday coach. PJ was pretty good on gamedays in 2019, when you had an offense loaded with NFL talent. But yeah, his use of timeouts is frustrating. I do question some of the play calling at important times (why oh why did we put the ball in the air on the "pick drive" vs Iowa?).

Still couldn't beat Iowa and Wisconsin in 2019 despite the "superior" talent.

I like PJ and think he’s done some good things at MN. He is very conservative and that’s how hes wired. And cannot manage timeouts to save his life

This isn’t the nfl in college you should be able to run a two minute offense without timeouts. We just aren’t good at it. The timeouts rarely factor into anything.

He's not flawless, but I don't think his kicker missing a 34 yarder and a 6th year RB committing a rare fumble are good evidence of him being a bad gameday coach.
The fact his kicker was attempting a 34-yarder, another short field goal against Iowa, is evidence of PJ being a bad gameday coach.

Threw it incomplete on 3rd and 1 only to kick the field goal on fourth? Against a team that has owned you, in part because you often kick short field goals against them? PJ is insane.

The fact his kicker was attempting a 34-yarder, another short field goal against Iowa, is evidence of PJ being a bad gameday coach.

Threw it incomplete on 3rd and 1 only to kick the field goal on fourth? Against a team that has owned you, in part because you often kick short field goals against them? PJ is insane.
If we get stuffed on a 4th and 1 there PJ would get raked over the coals. If Trickett makes that kick we likely win the game. Using hindsight to criticize that is BS.

They run their own program with great sponsorship of Surly brewery and TCL to name just a couple. SKOR NORTH is highly successful and outpacing KFAN which would rather talk about anything but sports. They are critical but fair and don't make
excuses/enable MN teams to just be bmediocre

A skor north bot has entered the chat

I listen to Mackey and Judd daily on SKOR NORTH. I appreciate their critical assessment of all things Minnesota sports. After assessing that Fleck is not a good gameday coach, I wanted to get the perspective of others in GH. Do think this is accurate and, if so. What do your see? I think he is horrible with clock management and wastes timeouts needlessly that cost us later and I'm not a fan of the sideline antics.
I think he’s the worst gametime coach I’ve ever seen, and I’m tired of the Tressel philosophy; to boot. I’ll be at the game Saturday cheering my ass off but I will be disappointed every time I spend 25 seconds watching our offensive unit stand in place while the clock runs and nothing happens. F that.

He does a lot of good things, too, but I think he’s trending towards a shorter shelf life here than I expected post 2019.

Run the ball more!

Question - how much time do we waste by our “second” glances to the sideline? (I do realize with our timed second glances, the opponents offense is still on the sideline)- I guess second glances is a major part of PJ‘s obsession winning the time of possession stat . At times, I/we get frustrated that our last drive at half time and / or end of game, we run short of time Because of second glances.

"Is SKOR NORTH correct"?

Very, very rarely.

This isn’t the nfl in college you should be able to run a two minute offense without timeouts. We just aren’t good at it. The timeouts rarely factor into anything.

The crazy thing about the timeouts is the gophers practice at a frenetic rate to presumedly prepare the players (and coaches) to react well under time pressure to novel looks and situations. Yet for years now decision-making seems to occur at a glacial rate leading to what could be argued is excessive early half timeout usage. I guess the question is could some of those situations be avoided, or are they inevitable byproducts of the college game. I’ll leave that to the former college players and coaches here.

Wow, Zulgad actually took some time to talk about the Gophers?
When Reusse and Shooter die we can be assured that Zulgad will carry on the role of crotchety sports writer here in Minnesota.
He's already locked in as the beer drinking sports commentator. Surly got ahold of him for promotions and he seems to revel in it.

Outside of a few big plays to start games (I think 2019 Penn State) or end them (2019 Auburn TE pass), I can't really think of anything truly creative we have done on offense. As I wrote in other posts - his is more of a philosophy of doing what everyone is doing but execute it better. When we have better talent and development, this works. When we don't - we struggle. That is why we look like a 1940's team when it comes to the forward pass now. We have done zero in terms of game-planning to put our WRs in a position to succeed regardless of their athletic limitations despite knowing this was an issue since the CrAB injury. If we can't make those adjustments over the better part of a season, how can you expect to make adjustments at halftime?

They run their own program with great sponsorship of Surly brewery and TCL to name just a couple. SKOR NORTH is highly successful and outpacing KFAN which would rather talk about anything but sports. They are critical but fair and don't make
excuses/enable MN teams to just be bmediocre

Regarding the bold, I’m not sure what you mean by “outpacing,” but in the Twin Cities radio ratings released on Nov 1, KFAN is #1, and KSTP-AM, aka Skor North, is #25.

Regarding the bold, I’m not sure what you mean by “outpacing,” but in the Twin Cities radio ratings released on Nov 1, KFAN is #1, and KSTP-AM, aka Skor North, is #25.

Apparently outpacing means having 1/27th of the share of kfan.

Aside from the end of quarter sprint he does two times per game, what are the "sideline antics" some are so upset about?
Not at all a big deal, but also that silly get-up he always wears, no matter what the temp/weather conditions are.

Top Bottom