Is Rodney Williams career going to affect Rashad Vaughns decision?

Jessica Alba Fan Club

Resident Patrick Bateman
Reaction score
Let me state this first, I think Rodney Williams is a great kid, he played hard and I think he's going to do better at the next level. I think it's also great he stayed home. But let's be real, his career as a Gopher was a little bit of a disappointment.

I don't fault him for that. Williams was not built for this Tubby half court stall offense. Williams was a run and gunner and high motion player at Cooper and in AAU. When he played his best as a Gopher was when he was running and using his athletic ability. He looked lost most nights standing around - like the others.

Basically my point is this, Tubby Smiths lack of offensive creativity killed Rodneys Gopher career, is Rashad Vaughn seeing this and thinking, I don't want to follow that path? Seems like players don't grow or get better under the Smith staff and system.

I like Tubby, but it's time for him to go if we want any shot at landing Vaughn or any of the other local kids.

I know this seems like another "Fire Tubby post" and I guess it is, but even a fair-weather blind basketball fan can see that Tubby has lost the players, his assistants are below average at best and we are going to lose future recruits and booster money for that shiny new practice facility if something doesn't change soon.

Maybe, but Vaughn is a much more skilled player than Rodney is/was. He gets his own shot and makes them, and is also aggressive.

But I would guess that the success, or lack of, from a same high school alumni cant help at all. Hopefully it does not hurt.

Vaughn can thrive in the half court because he can shoot the lights out. He is a much better player than Williams. I see no valid comparison.

Agreed no comparison. That won't hurt at all.

I do think this is a factor. How could it not be? Rodney was a top 20 player, slated as a 1st round NBA pick his freshman and sophomore year. He's not on that radar anymore. When you're a top 20 guy, you have to look at a system that will enable you to progress towards the NBA. This program is not that place. With the comments that have been made by Tubby about Rodney, I'd really doubt that he has no influence on Vaughn's decision.

I do think this is a factor. How could it not be? Rodney was a top 20 player, slated as a 1st round NBA pick his freshman and sophomore year. He's not on that radar anymore. When you're a top 20 guy, you have to look at a system that will enable you to progress towards the NBA. This program is not that place. With the comments that have been made by Tubby about Rodney, I'd really doubt that he has no influence on Vaughn's decision.
Key word is influence. Sure, Vaughn is 17 and Rodney's experience is influential, but I agree with the others that it's not a tangible factor in his decision. If anything, I think he'd be most influenced by Rodney's accomplishments on the court (made a mark in many all-time statistical categories) and his ability to go from Cooper HS to a UofM graduate.

Also, calling Rodney a top 20 recruit insinuates he was a similarly touted recruit as Vaughn is. Rodney was generally ranked 75-100 according to final rankings. His raw ability was obvious, but so was his lack of polish. Vaughn on the other hand appears to be a impact scoring freshman at a high major level.

Rodney was rated anywhere from 34-100. Rashad is rated as high as #6 and is a completely different player. Rodney needs to play in transition to play to his potential, Rashad doesn't.

It may be apples and oranges but anyone who thinks Tubby staying gives us the best shot at keeping the big 3 home is deluded.

After watching this season, NOBODY will want to come and play for Tubby, unless their 2nd best offer is Cal Poly or Oral Roberts.

I wouldn't be shocked if the kids we have signed from Chicago don't skip a year to avoid playing in Tubby's shackles.

It may be apples and oranges but anyone who thinks Tubby staying gives us the best shot at keeping the big 3 home is deluded.

After watching this season, NOBODY will want to come and play for Tubby, unless their 2nd best offer is Cal Poly or Oral Roberts.

I wouldn't be shocked if the kids we have signed from Chicago don't skip a year to avoid playing in Tubby's shackles.

I don't believe any of the big 3 will even entertain the thought of playing at Minnesota for a different coach who hasn't been there recruiting them for the past three years unless their biggest factor in choosing a school is proximity to home. I don't have any inside knowledge but it sure seems like that isn't going to be a deciding factor. If Tubby is fired and a big name coach is hired then maybe I could see there still being a chance but I don't see any scenario where a new coach actually gives the gophers a better chance this late in the recruiting process, even if it is Flip or Shaka.

I think the only factor with Vaughn in relation to Rodney's career here is the conversations they have had or will have about it. If Rodney has good things to say about his experience here when the two of them talk then that may help, if not it could hurt. I don't think it goes beyond that.

I don't believe any of the big 3 will even entertain the thought of playing at Minnesota for a different coach who hasn't been there recruiting them for the past three years unless their biggest factor in choosing a school is proximity to home. I don't have any inside knowledge but it sure seems like that isn't going to be a deciding factor. If Tubby is fired and a big name coach is hired then maybe I could see there still being a chance but I don't see any scenario where a new coach actually gives the gophers a better chance this late in the recruiting process, even if it is Flip or Shaka.

I think the only factor with Vaughn in relation to Rodney's career here is the conversations they have had or will have about it. If Rodney has good things to say about his experience here when the two of them talk then that may help, if not it could hurt. I don't think it goes beyond that.

WRONG! There's plenty of precedence for new, hot-shot hires coming into a new program and getting recruits big time recruits instantly.

Perhaps you'll remember the names John Wall and Cousins going to dead and dormant Kentucky program back in 2009. There are 100's of big time recruits who get enthralled and caught up in the excitement of a new coach and wanna be part of something new and exciting.

I believe Roy Williams also scored some HUGE recruits his first year at UNC as well.

Sometimes, it just comes down to the packaging of a new hire and how he performs in his first presser.

I have little doubt that the Big 3 would be more excited to sign with Shaka or Stevens or even Flip than signing with Tubby, knowing full well his offense is useless and the vast majority of players stagnate here.

WRONG! There's plenty of precedence for new, hot-shot hires coming into a new program and getting recruits big time recruits instantly.

Perhaps you'll remember the names John Wall and Cousins going to dead and dormant Kentucky program back in 2009. There are 100's of big time recruits who get enthralled and caught up in the excitement of a new coach and wanna be part of something new and exciting.

I believe Roy Williams also scored some HUGE recruits his first year at UNC as well.

Sometimes, it just comes down to the packaging of a new hire and how he performs in his first presser.

I have little doubt that the Big 3 would be more excited to sign with Shaka or Stevens or even Flip than signing with Tubby, knowing full well his offense is useless and the vast majority of players stagnate here.

A recruiting comparison with Kentucky? Really? They are a top 5 program in the country, we aren't even top 5 in our conference. They missed the NCAA tournament for the first time in 17 years in 2009, and that's what you consider dead and dormant? Not to mention Calipari was coming off a national championship game, coached in the NBA and had taken UMass to the final four a decade before. Plus Wall was already being recruited by Memphis before Cal made the move. If you think that situation sets any type of precedent for what we might be able to do here then you are "deluded". How about we just hire Izzo away from MSU? That will get all three for sure.

I said I think it might still be possible if we get the right guy, and I don't think firing Tubby will eliminate us. I just don't believe it increases the chances in any way. Why take a risk on a coach you haven't built a relationship with for 4 years when coach K or Izzo are your other options? Flip (never coached in college) or Shaka (4 years head coaching experience at a mid-major) both would have a lot more uncertainty coming in to the Program than any other school on lists of the big 3.

If none of the 3 wanted to play for Tubby, we would be off their lists long ago, plain and simple. They aren't waiting around in case we hire a hot-shot coach and they can stay home after all.

Now that's funny.

Rodney is our best chance to land Vaughn. For the last 3+ years he's been recruiting Vaughn to be a Gopher. They are really close and Rodney desperately wants him to go to Minnesota. This is why Vaughn is probably our best shot among the big 3. So no, Rodney won't hurt us in recruiting Vaughn, quite the opposite.

Rodney is our best chance to land Vaughn. For the last 3+ years he's been recruiting Vaughn to be a Gopher. They are really close and Rodney desperately wants him to go to Minnesota. This is why Vaughn is probably our best shot among the big 3. So no, Rodney won't hurt us in recruiting Vaughn, quite the opposite.

Would agree. I don't think Vaughn is as concerned about Rodneys development while at the U, he is concerned with whether Rodney enjoyed his experience. If he did, he will tell Vaughn that and already has for that matter(one way or another). I think Rodney and Taylor are our best chances to land Vaughn

Let me state this first, I think Rodney Williams is a great kid, he played hard and I think he's going to do better at the next level. I think it's also great he stayed home. But let's be real, his career as a Gopher was a little bit of a disappointment.

I don't fault him for that. Williams was not built for this Tubby half court stall offense. Williams was a run and gunner and high motion player at Cooper and in AAU. When he played his best as a Gopher was when he was running and using his athletic ability. He looked lost most nights standing around - like the others.

Basically my point is this, Tubby Smiths lack of offensive creativity killed Rodneys Gopher career, is Rashad Vaughn seeing this and thinking, I don't want to follow that path? Seems like players don't grow or get better under the Smith staff and system.

I like Tubby, but it's time for him to go if we want any shot at landing Vaughn or any of the other local kids.

I know this seems like another "Fire Tubby post" and I guess it is, but even a fair-weather blind basketball fan can see that Tubby has lost the players, his assistants are below average at best and we are going to lose future recruits and booster money for that shiny new practice facility if something doesn't change soon.
Rodney Williams was NEVER a very good player--before he started with Minnesota and certainly during his stint at Minnesota. The recruiting services simply misjudged his ability from the beginning. He has NEVER shown any quickness, strength, speed, dribbling ability, or shooting ability during the 4 years he's has been a gopher and the fact he is not even honorable mention Big 10 is NOT Tubby's fault. HE can jump!! That does not make him a great athlete or a great or even good basketball player. The most over-hyped, overrated athletic talent in Minnesota history.

I agree with this I think they seem to have a good relationship and Rodney is more likely to sell him on coming to play for the Gophers than drive him away.

From this fan's perspective, Rodney improved and matured a lot in the past four years. He never developed into a great shooter, but at times he provided great excitement and he showed grit during his senior and junior year. Time to give the seniors a pat on the back and thank them for being a Gopher.

Gopher Playa said some of the cheerleaders are thinking about quitting too.

Top Bottom