Is our cupboard really that bare?

The roster has plenty of issues but there are pieces to work with. Gach is better than he has been playing, Gabe is solid, Mashburn has some definite talent.....the new coach will have to fill some holes depending on who leave and who stays but there will be some decent pieces to work with.

New coach is going to have to find some size, someone capable of defending down low because right now all they have is Robins and without him in there teams pretty much can get to the basket anytime they need to for an easy layup.
Mashburn has potential but isn’t that good yet.
Gave is shooting 31% and is definitely a one way player. Would be a good 6-7th best player to have. Not 3-5.
Gach looks awful. Maybe he has injuries.
I actually think Johnson has been our third best player this year

This year's roster minus Carr is a last place B1G team.

Great post. I think they have the athleticism/ability to defend better, and i don't see how we could get much more inefficient on O than we already were. No reason we can't be a bubble team next year, plus we have the opportunity to add players in the offseason as well.
Yeah, I wonder what the opponents' conversion rates were from all those missed 3's Gophs heaved.

Perhaps if you just pull Carr off the team in the middle of season and there is no other variables, coach etc. But basketball works a little different. A new coach and a new philosophy, I don't think we could know what this roster would or could be.

Take Teen Wolf for example. Everybody thought that the Beavers would be horrible without the Wolf, but it turns out that they had more chemistry and ended up beating The Dragons in the big game.

Not 100% sure i agree with that statement. If everyone else is healthy and you just remove Carr this isn't a Big Ten Championship team but I don't know that it is a bottom feeder either. I could see them finishing more in the middle of the pack under that scenario.

Carr is a good player but he doesn't exactly play team basketball much of the time.

Perhaps if you just pull Carr off the team in the middle of season and there is no other variables, coach etc. But basketball works a little different. A new coach and a new philosophy, I don't think we could know what this roster would or could be.

Take Teen Wolf for example. Everybody thought that the Beavers would be horrible without the Wolf, but it turns out that they had more chemistry and ended up beating The Dragons in the big game.

Dude....Spoiler Alert.....:)

That's not fine.(offense)

That is terrible and another reason we are bad. This is what I am talking about. It is allowed, not improved and no one cares. You want to finish top 4 in the league, then you play both offense in defense top 4 in the league. HOT GARBAGE ALL OF IT.
You know that no one on here plays for the team...right?

Well, it's hard to assess players who are stuck in the unoriginality and immobility of the Pitino offense and the seemingly utter lack of dedication to anything resembling team concept defense.

But let's try.

Carr - Toast - he's going pro - most likely would be addition by subtraction for any coach trying to instill "Team based defensive and offensive basketball" anyway. Yes, best player on the team but he is seemingly "on his own".

Gach - Is Utah Gach still out there? Gotta believe this guy could be resurrected into a defensive monster with his athletic ability. Question here is: "What happened?"

Gabe - Pure love affair for the new coach. Will do whatever he is asked and he plays the right way. If, and this is a big "IF", he can find his shot he could have a hell of a season.

Liam - Nothing negative here. Just a question of whether or not he stays. Big man fits seemingly into any defense or offense.

Johnson - Fence time. Any time he gets limits Ihnen's development. It will be up to the new coach or Johnson if he returns. We may be better off with...

Ihnen - Good Lord does this guy need a coach who can unlock his potential! Seems like he has fallen into double doubles without any help at all. Needs to be convinced he should make his hay in the paint and not outside the 3pt line. Amazingly has made great strides defensively and is a better rebounder than Johnson.

Williams - Seems like he has a definite limit but also has a decent floor when he gets minutes. Needs the right defense and offense to help maximize his skills. Coaching change should suit him well.

Mashburn - Seems like he has the makings of a serviceable starting PG. Even at MSU. Like the others, he needs a defense and offense that help maximize his talents and minimize his deficiencies. He has tremendous upside.

Mitchell - Sad, we have no idea what he is capable of.

Freeman - Could, should, would be a usable, serviceable, reliable and trustworthy back-up big man for Izzo, Painter, Gaard, and 80% of B1G coaches. Big body, 5 fouls to give, no reason he can't contribute.

Curry - Graduate Assistant. If he wants to stay in basketball, it's time to coach.

That, is not a bad starting point. You get a coach who can get these guys to buy in to "Team Defense", and teach them a motion offense where you don't rely on 1 guy but getting the ball to the open man and they could be a .500 team in the B1G as is.

Get a couple decent cruits and a transfer and you could go higher.

I'd be looking for a PG and a SF who could start. We really need a coach who can mange a bench, not just play his top 5-6 guys despite their limitations or unwillingness to play team basketball.

Yes the roster is a dumpster fire. I would be ok if everyone left and the new coach started over.
4-14
9-11
8-12
6-14

these are the conference records the last 4 years. I just can’t get excited about a group of players that have contributed to those season records. I seriously think this team has something wrong in the locker room like the wild did and it needs to be purged. I feel like the purge needs to go beyond the coaching staff.

Yes the roster is a dumpster fire. I would be ok if everyone left and the new coach started over.
4-14
9-11
8-12
6-14

these are the conference records the last 4 years. I just can’t get excited about a group of players that have contributed to those season records. I seriously think this team has something wrong in the locker room like the wild did and it needs to be purged. I feel like the purge needs to go beyond the coaching staff.

I hear you, but I'd rather a majority (say 7-8) stay and a new coach can bring in new guys that are his guys at a little more gradual pace. I want a new coach to come in and fill this roster quick, so they can move on to finding 2022 and 2023 kids. It's also a good recruiting pitch to kids when you show you can do better with another coaches recruits. It's a good sell on your coaching/player development ability.

4-14
9-11
8-12
6-14

Starting over would be rough and many of these guys are useful tools to build upon. At a minimum Robbins and Gabe are both useful players.

Well, it's hard to assess players who are stuck in the unoriginality and immobility of the Pitino offense and the seemingly utter lack of dedication to anything resembling team concept defense.

But let's try.

Liam - Nothing negative here. Just a question of whether or not he stays. Big man fits seemingly into any defense or offense.

Anything to the rumors that Liam may leave? He only has 1 year left, right?

Anything to the rumors that Liam may leave? He only has 1 year left, right?
Thanks to COVID-19 he has 2 or 3 years remaining I believe. This year is a freebie.

With all this transfer talk, people are forgetting that we are still in the Big Ten (one of the two best conferences in the nation) AND we have plenty of playing time.

Kids like Liam and Mash would be starters next year, so unless they have an opportunity to transfer to another P6 and start, I don't think it's such an obvious decision to leave as some on here are implying.

But let's try.

Carr - Toast - he's going pro - most likely would be addition by subtraction for any coach trying to instill "Team based defensive and offensive basketball" anyway. Yes, best player on the team but he is seemingly "on his own".

Gach - Is Utah Gach still out there? Gotta believe this guy could be resurrected into a defensive monster with his athletic ability. Question here is: "What happened?"

Gabe - Pure love affair for the new coach. Will do whatever he is asked and he plays the right way. If, and this is a big "IF", he can find his shot he could have a hell of a season.

Johnson - Fence time. Any time he gets limits Ihnen's development. It will be up to the new coach or Johnson if he returns. We may be better off with...

Ihnen - Good Lord does this guy need a coach who can unlock his potential! Seems like he has fallen into double doubles without any help at all. Needs to be convinced he should make his hay in the paint and not outside the 3pt line. Amazingly has made great strides defensively and is a better rebounder than Johnson.

Williams - Seems like he has a definite limit but also has a decent floor when he gets minutes. Needs the right defense and offense to help maximize his skills. Coaching change should suit him well.

Mashburn - Seems like he has the makings of a serviceable starting PG. Even at MSU. Like the others, he needs a defense and offense that help maximize his talents and minimize his deficiencies. He has tremendous upside.

Freeman - Could, should, would be a usable, serviceable, reliable and trustworthy back-up big man for Izzo, Painter, Gaard, and 80% of B1G coaches. Big body, 5 fouls to give, no reason he can't contribute.

Curry - Graduate Assistant. If he wants to stay in basketball, it's time to coach.

That, is not a bad starting point. You get a coach who can get these guys to buy in to "Team Defense", and teach them a motion offense where you don't rely on 1 guy but getting the ball to the open man and they could be a .500 team in the B1G as is.

I'd be looking for a PG and a SF who could start. We really need a coach who can mange a bench, not just play his top 5-6 guys despite their limitations or unwillingness to play team basketball.

1615512365614.png

But let's try.

Both Gach: My take on Gach is that the difference in level of competition from pre-league games and his experience in the Pac-12 smacked him right in the face hard and he lost his confidence. Like almost all of it, in the first game or 2 of the Big 10 season. I also thought that I'd heard he was dealing with a bad foot or ankle for most of the 2nd half of the season, which would explain how laterally slow he looked on defense. It looked like the last 3-4 games, he was starting to find his way a little. Did anybody else see that in his play or hear about him being less than 100%?

Last edited:

Yes
Both Gach: My take on Gach is that the difference in level of competition from pre-league games and his experience in the Pac-12 smacked him right in the face hard and he lost his confidence. Like almost all of it, in the first game or 2 of the season. I also thought that I'd heard he was dealing with a bad foot or ankle for most of the 2nd half of the season, which would explain how laterally slow he looked on defense. It looked like the last 3-4 games, he was starting to find his way a little. Did anybody else see that in his play or hear about him being less than 100%

Yes Pitino said he will likely need surgery after the season

The cupboard is pretty bare. We got 13th and are likely losing our best player.
Maybe will lose our second best.

coukdnt even tell you who our third best is.

This roster is bad outside of Carr and Robbins.
Agree with this. Robbins is the only returner that should be starting in the B1G. Mashburn has shown potential but needs more work. Gabe is a shooting guard who can’t shoot. The other guys should be deep bench players on a good team.

All I know is that between the three sports I watch, MBB, wrestling, and football... Gopher athletics is driving me to drinking... more.

The cupboards not bare, but the house is unlocked and no one's home. Who knows what will be left when the dust settles.
The wheel’s turning but the hamster is dead. Our offense with Curry at the top was so poor. Why would you initiate your offense by entering the ball to a big man who cannot shoot and lacks the handles to create?!? The ball always went from Carr to Curry back to Carr and then the offense started. Horribly inefficient.

Mashburn has potential but isn’t that good yet.
Gave is shooting 31% and is definitely a one way player. Would be a good 6-7th best player to have. Not 3-5.
Gach looks awful. Maybe he has injuries.
I actually think Johnson has been our third best player this year
Johnson is a dawg!! He was like Murphy lite

Agree with this. Robbins is the only returner that should be starting in the B1G. Mashburn has shown potential but needs more work. Gabe is a shooting guard who can’t shoot. The other guys should be deep bench players on a good team.

When healthy this team did beat Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, and plenty of others. They are not all scrubs man.

When healthy this team did beat Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, and plenty of others. They are not all scrubs man.
I guess this was the point of starting this thread. The Gophers didn't beat these teams by accident. They didn't beat these teams with one player. Luck is always a factor here and there, but the Gophers played great bball on occasion this year despite having a poor offensive game planner/manager. My opinion is improved coaching swaps a few of our losses to wins and this team is above an 8 seed in the tourney.

My opinion is improved coaching swaps a few of our losses to wins and this team is above an 8 seed in the tourney.
...and by that I mean a better coach doesn't allow the end of season slide and losses to multiple inferior teams like the Gophers saw this year regardless of one or two injuries.

Top Bottom