Is Mo Ibrahim and others back from Europe?

hungan1

Reaction score
Have all the U athletes and others who are in Europe back on campus? It is only a matter of time before transatlantic flights are pared down considerably or shut down altogether.

Have all the U athletes and others who are in Europe back on campus? It is only a matter of time before transatlantic flights are pared down considerably or shut down altogether.
That "matter of time" happened days ago. As FYI, my daughter works in Switzerland but lives in France (just across the border). France has now closed all borders, so she has to telecommute to work (which is the World Health Organization in Geneva).

That "matter of time" happened days ago. As FYI, my daughter works in Switzerland but lives in France (just across the border). France has now closed all borders, so she has to telecommute to work (which is the World Health Organization in Geneva).
Under normal conditions she must enjoy her life over there I would think. You get over there as well?

So, is he stuck in Europe with the rest of the other U students?

They were I
So, is he stuck in Europe with the rest of the other U students?

As of late last week they were having trouble getting back.

Denmark

There are bunch of screening, quarantine requirements, etc. Even for US citizens.

Last edited:

They were I

As of late last week they were having trouble getting back.

Norway.

There are bunch of screening, quarantine requirements, etc. Even for US citizens.
Norway is telling people to get out of the U.S. due to our slow response and current health care system. We are not respected in the world. Pence said in his recent memo that it is alright for someone to shake hands with someone even though they have Coronavirus virus. Clearly drinking kool aide in D.C.

Norway is telling people to get out of the U.S. due to our slow response and current health care system. We are not respected in the world. Pence said in his recent memo that it is alright for someone to shake hands with someone even though they have Coronavirus virus. Clearly drinking kool aide in D.C.

There’s already a political thread about coronavirus in the OT section.

OFF-TOPIC:
I hope and pray that Mo Ibrahim, all the U students studying abroad, and all the sons and daughters of Americans either shelter in place safely or make it home safely.

We live in perilous times in our history. I fear for my wife's health who is undergoing her treatments for cancer.

The US has the third largest population after China (1.44 bil) and India (1.38 bil) at 331 million.

What is happening in Italy with the rapid spread of the virus is absolutely alarming if not scary. Italy has a population of 60.5 mil. In three weeks' time as of today, they 27,980 cases and 2,158 deaths. As of today's reporting, there are 348 new deaths.

As of this afternoon, the US has 4,657 cases with 977 new cases, and 86 deaths. If you extrapolate the spread of coronavirus in Italy, we may be looking at at least ten fold cases and deaths. We don't know for sure because the US is very slow in testing unlike South Korea. Our health system is unprepared. We may be facing a Marshall Law like condition to slow down the virus enough so that it can be under control and overwhelm all our civic and health systems.

We need the leadership of government and institutions to help slow down the spread of the disease and establish social order.

Coronavirus Worldometer:

This is like the Black Death (or Bubonic PLague)which swept Europe in the Middle Ages which eventually claimed about 20 million souls. Of course, we have antibiotics today which will easily cure the disease.

We hope that a vaccine is developed. But, not after this new scourge take many lives and change our system, culture, and how we interact publicly.

The Black Death:

OFF-TOPIC:
I hope and pray that Mo Ibrahim, all the U students studying abroad, and all the sons and daughters of Americans either shelter in place safely or make it home safely.

We live in perilous times in our history. I fear for my wife's health who is undergoing her treatments for cancer.

The US has the third largest population after China (1.44 bil) and India (1.38 bil) at 331 million.

What is happening in Italy with the rapid spread of the virus is absolutely alarming if not scary. Italy has a population of 60.5 mil. In three weeks' time as of today, they 27,980 cases and 2,158 deaths. As of today's reporting, there are 348 new deaths.

As of this afternoon, the US has 4,657 cases with 977 new cases, and 86 deaths. If you extrapolate the spread of coronavirus in Italy, we may be looking at at least ten fold cases and deaths. We don't know for sure because the US is very slow in testing unlike South Korea. Our health system is unprepared. We may be facing a Marshall Law like condition to slow down the virus enough so that it can be under control and overwhelm all our civic and health systems.

We need the leadership of government and institutions to help slow down the spread of the disease and establish social order.

Coronavirus Worldometer:

This is like the Black Death (or Bubonic PLague)which swept Europe in the Middle Ages which eventually claimed about 20 million souls. Of course, we have antibiotics today which will easily cure the disease.

We hope that a vaccine is developed. But, not after this new scourge take many lives and change our system, culture, and how we interact publicly.

The Black Death:

I feel for you Hungan and the rest of the gopher community (are we a tribe yet?) who are dealing with this uncertainty. Keep the faith i hope we all take adequate precautions to take the top off this tsunami until a vaccine can be developed. I have my doubts however. I bumped into a former boss who was a business unit manager for fortune 500 company that called the entire situation a hoax and my state rep, a man i consider a friend, essentially said the same thing.

A more horrifying comparison is the Spanish Flu/Swine Flu that killed 675,000 Americans -

Brock Annexstad is also with him in Denmark. Don't know if they are back or not.

Hungan, I pray you and your wife will be able to safely stay away from the virus and she is able to continue her treatments.
Let's get our Gophers home!
Stay safe everyone!

Thank you Miranda B and The prez sez.

Yeah, you can easily look to Europe as a prime example of how universal single payer healthcare would have stopped this problem.

Source

The U set a deadline of 3/20 for all students to be back and then told students to return immediately last Sunday. They're not providing any help to students to find a flight back although I assume the football team or athletics department will do things on their own for athletes.

Not relevant for scholarship athletes but the U isn't refunding tuition for some unfinished classes abroad. All of the football players should be fine but the U is cancelling programs, requiring students come back quickly, and providing them with minimal support.

I just read an article tonight that the only way you can catch this virus is thru your mouth, nostrils or eyes. It does not penetrate the skin. However, many people put their hands on their face many times a day and that is one way to transmit this disease.

I just read an article tonight that the only way you can catch this virus is thru your mouth, nostrils or eyes. It does not penetrate the skin. However, many people put their hands on their face many times a day and that is one way to transmit this disease.
One thing I learned about myself after this virus began spreading is how much I love touching my face.

ARE, not is, there are more players than Mo so use the plural.

Yeah, I didn't follow that either.......
He was complaining about the grammar in the title. However, it's always delightfully ironic when there are three errors saturating his own complaint.

If you point your index at someone, you are pointing three of fingers at yourself.

He was complaining about the grammar in the title. However, it's always delightfully ironic when there are three errors saturating his own complaint.
Ah. I was just looking at responses and not the thread title.

Top Bottom