Is Minnesota HS Basketball a "hotbed"?

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score
I was debating with some friends regarding the D1 talent that has been coming out of Minnesota the past couple of years as well as some of the kids that will be signing in the years ahead. I made the statement that per high school junior student capita, (aka the eligible pool of players,) Minnesota is producing D1 talent a decent clip and even argued that it is likely higher than Wisconsin. I figured Gopherholers are much more resourceful than I am so, I'm wondering if anyone can help back up or even refute my claim? I'd love to know where Minnesota ranks nationally....and specifically how Texas stacks up.

I was debating with some friends regarding the D1 talent that has been coming out of Minnesota the past couple of years as well as some of the kids that will be signing in the years ahead. I made the statement that per high school junior student capita, (aka the eligible pool of players,) Minnesota is producing D1 talent a decent clip and even argued that it is likely higher than Wisconsin. I figured Gopherholers are much more resourceful than I am so, I'm wondering if anyone can help back up or even refute my claim? I'd love to know where Minnesota ranks nationally....and specifically how Texas stacks up.

I would say that the basketball talent in Minnesota, is as strong as ever. However, I am too lazy to help you back up your statement. :D

Dr. Don wanted to say something about 'hot beds' in Minnesota, but was too lazy to get off the couch.

This information is from a couple years ago, but I would guess that most of it still holds true:

http://regressing.deadspin.com/map-where-do-college-basketball-recruits-come-from-1507395145

The underlying data resource (http://mode.github.io/blog/2014-01-21-basketball-hometowns/index.html#) is also accessible, and may or may not be real-time; it doesn't say. My interpretation is that the data was captured in 2014 and hasn't been updated since.

Thanks Dpoll. I wish they had it updated, but to your point it probably still holds true. Sadly, this isn't helping my argument.

To be fair, I think in comparison to Wisconsin and Iowa it's hard to compare simply on number of D1 players....Both have multiple smaller D1 programs like Milwaukee, Green Bay, UNI, Drake....I believe Minnesotan players that go to Winona, UMD, Moorhead, etc. would be D1 players if those programs were D1. Look at the "hottest" states on that map and look where the most players are going, Alcorn State in Mississippi, Northwestern State in Louisiana, etc.

We seem to produce a fair amount of good female players. Too bad most leave.

I would say that the basketball talent in Minnesota, is as strong as ever. However, I am too lazy to help you back up your statement. :D

Love the comment. A body at rest tends to stay ........ Seriously, doesn't the Pulley program help this premise and back this premise up? According to the Pulley web site, since 1998 14 former Pulley players were freshman of the Year in the conferences they played in and 4 more on the all freshman teams. Now where is the data to compare with other Pulley like programs I have no idea but 14 sounds impressive.

To be fair, I think in comparison to Wisconsin and Iowa it's hard to compare simply on number of D1 players....Both have multiple smaller D1 programs like Milwaukee, Green Bay, UNI, Drake....I believe Minnesotan players that go to Winona, UMD, Moorhead, etc. would be D1 players if those programs were D1. Look at the "hottest" states on that map and look where the most players are going, Alcorn State in Mississippi, Northwestern State in Louisiana, etc.

Really? How many D1 caliber players simply get overlooked? I guess I thought that in addition to the 1 or 2 guys from Minnesota who get high-major interest most years, there were a handful of mid-major guys who went to play for the Dakota schools or the UW satellites, or other mid-major and low-major D1 programs around the country.

I feel like if the guys playing for WSU, UMD, etc. were truly D1 caliber players, they'd have offers from, and be playing for, D1 schools, even if it meant leaving the state.

I think you could say UND and NDSU are pretty much like instate D1 schools. They are just a few miles from being instate and recruit so many Minnesota kids.

Really? How many D1 caliber players simply get overlooked? I guess I thought that in addition to the 1 or 2 guys from Minnesota who get high-major interest most years, there were a handful of mid-major guys who went to play for the Dakota schools or the UW satellites, or other mid-major and low-major D1 programs around the country.

I feel like if the guys playing for WSU, UMD, etc. were truly D1 caliber players, they'd have offers from, and be playing for, D1 schools, even if it meant leaving the state.

I'm not saying they're D1 starter caliber, but I bet starters for any of those teams could come off the bench and fit right in at NDSU, SDSU, or Green Bay etc. Many of those schools fill their benches with in-state guys that are easy to recruit.

Basically, if you're UW-Milwaukee and you're scrambling to fill a scholarship, who are you going to recruit if you think the talent level is even, a player from Waukesha or a player from Braham or Moorhead?

Basically, if you're UW-Milwaukee and you're scrambling to fill a scholarship, who are you going to recruit if you think the talent level is even, a player from Waukesha or a player from Braham or Moorhead?

I think it's your job to differentiate between the players and take the one that is best suited to your program. You probably aren't any good if you simply take the player that is closest to your campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think so. They do compete for at least some of the same players but maybe not the elite talent.

Both South Dakota and SDSU are within 50 miles of the state line and recruit here. Don't forget Augustana as well!

Both South Dakota and SDSU are within 50 miles of the state line and recruit here. Don't forget Augustana as well!

Compared to NDSU and UND...which are about 1 mile from the MN border.

I thought this was extremely important to share.:rolleyes:

I got unlazy and decided to gather a list of all the Minnesota players that have or will have at least one D1 offer, over the next 5 classes. The 2019 and 2020 will obviously fill out over time, but Hurt and Suggs are two of the top players of their respective age groups.

2016: ****Amir Coffey, ***Michael Hurt, ***Reed Niko, ***Brock Bertram, Steffon Mitchell, Cameron Kirksey, Luke Harris, Amar Miller, Tyler Peterson, Jamil Jackson

2017: *****Gary Trent Jr., ****Theo John, ***Goanar Mar, ***McKinley Wright, ***Ish El-Amin ***Nathan Reuvers, ***Brad Davison, ***Jericho Sims, Simon Wright, Trae Berhow, Myles Hanson, Jack Sorenson, Jack Hutchinson

2018: **** Tre Jones, ****Javonni Bickham, ***Shae Mitchell, Race Thompson, Gabe Kalscheur, Adam Trapp, Daniel Oturu

2019: *****Matthew Hurt

2020: *****Jalen Suggs

Top Bottom