Is Marcus Jones a Gopher?

goldfan24

Reaction score
I have heard that Jones de-committed from NIU and committed to THE U today,

yep, welcome aboard marcus.

This is an important commitment. In addition to securing as much non-BCS in-state talent as possible, it is essential that Coach Kill bring on plenty of MAC-level talent as well.

I will believe it when Coach Jerry Kill announces it. Period.

Welcome Marcus Jones! I hope you can prove all the doubters wrong.

This is an important commitment. In addition to securing as much non-BCS in-state talent as possible, it is essential that Coach Kill bring on plenty of MAC-level talent as well.

MAC level talent that beat the crap out of us this year.

I've got some concerns about his size but pound for pound, he seems like as tough a kid as you'll find, prove the doubters wrong Marcus.

Ryan Collado 2.0?

No, I think Collado was a bit larger and Jones is a bit faster.

I've read on a couple websites that they wouldn't be shocked if he is groomed to be a RB/KR type of player (like a third down back).

If he could put 20 lbs on over the course of 3 seasons, I could see a Chad Spann type (in size and speed, I have no way of projecting if he will be anywhere near the kind of ball player). He would have a low center of gravity, fast, and be kind of a compact runner.

Ryan Callado was a very serviceable player for us...he was kind of a train wreck his first couple years, but really not that bad his last two(which is the only two he should have been expected to contribute). I'm not super excited about the commitment but I'm not going to rip him until it's warranted.

I'll take kids like Collado any day.

Amen to that. If Collado had been given the opportunity to red-shirt instead of being thrown out there right away, he have developed into something special. As it was, the kid gave 100% of himself on every play and hit like a semi-truck with no brakes.

Welcome Mr. Jones.

No, I think Collado was a bit larger and Jones is a bit faster.

I've read on a couple websites that they wouldn't be shocked if he is groomed to be a RB/KR type of player (like a third down back).

If he could put 20 lbs on over the course of 3 seasons, I could see a Chad Spann type (in size and speed, I have no way of projecting if he will be anywhere near the kind of ball player). He would have a low center of gravity, fast, and be kind of a compact runner.

Jones will find a niche for the Gophers. He isn't highly rated down here but he has speed to kill and is a baller. He is more like 5'7" and 160#. His team was runner up in 4AA (our biggest size school class) and the 3d BCS scholarship to verbal from his school.

We have at least 2 better on D that played this year on our HS team. Coach Kill won't throw away a scholarship. Jones has a niche to fill for the Gophers.

I like the signing...he can play a percy harvin type roll for us in a spread run offense...speed is always good. I also like that he is third bcs verbal in his high school this year...maybe we can start a pipeline for kids from that area of NC...we need to have recruiting hotbeds.

Look, this guy could turn into an important role player. He will not be an every-down back but if he can put on some muscle he can be valuable returning kicks and being an option coming out of the backfield on third down.

Its not a surprise, or big deal that we are recruiting MAC, WAC, Sun Belt conference talent this year. We were really bad, made a coaching change and fell off the block going into the recruiting season.

What we need to see from coach Kill NEXT year is that he starts going after real Big 10 talent. He will have a year to be in each recruits ear, competing with the likes of Iowa and Wisconsin. And if you believe him in that "recruiting is recruiting" then we should have nothing to worry about.

Now if next year rolls around and the guys on our radar are only on the radar of teams such as Akron, Ohio, and Troy we have a problem.

Its not a surprise, or big deal that we are recruiting MAC, WAC, Sun Belt conference talent this year. We were really bad, made a coaching change and fell off the block going into the recruiting season.

What we need to see from coach Kill NEXT year is that he starts going after real Big 10 talent. He will have a year to be in each recruits ear, competing with the likes of Iowa and Wisconsin. And if you believe him in that "recruiting is recruiting" then we should have nothing to worry about.

Now if next year rolls around and the guys on our radar are only on the radar of teams such as Akron, Ohio, and Troy we have a problem.

Could take one year longer than that. Need wins next year to start getting into the HS kids heads. Coach Kill is at ground zero as far as BT recruiting goes. His first opportunities will be to keep the local kids home before the more talented out of state kids. tOSU and Nebraska have a huge head start on roster and future recruiting. He has a huge job ahead of him.

I just noticed that they filled in his profile with 2 stars to replace the zero (not evaluated) that he had.

Could take one year longer than that. Need wins next year to start getting into the HS kids heads. Coach Kill is at ground zero as far as BT recruiting goes. His first opportunities will be to keep the local kids home before the more talented out of state kids. tOSU and Nebraska have a huge head start on roster and future recruiting. He has a huge job ahead of him.

Good point.

But according to Brewster who was considered a "Recruiting Guru" (he said sarcastically) You don't need wins to recruit. I remember him saying "Some of our best years recruiting at North Carolina came from our worst years record wise."

I don't buy it. You need wins to get players, no one wants to come play for a loser.

I continue to think that Kill's most important recruiting right now is keeping Brew's talent on board. I remain very excited to see what the natural talent on the current roster can do with proper coaching and leadership.

That being said, I'm going to give Kill a pass if he doesn't go for star rankings, especially this year. While I believe that the recruiting rankings are for the most part accurate, I also believe that coaches make players and that small schools around MN are loaded with potential that doesn't get noticed.

I continue to think that Kill's most important recruiting right now is keeping Brew's talent on board. I remain very excited to see what the natural talent on the current roster can do with proper coaching and leadership.

That being said, I'm going to give Kill a pass if he doesn't go for star rankings, especially this year. While I believe that the recruiting rankings are for the most part accurate, I also believe that coaches make players and that small schools around MN are loaded with potential that doesn't get noticed.

You can coach kids up there is no doubt about that. However, we are a society that is based on visual appearance. That is why we want to SEE the 4 and 5 stars coming to Minnesota when more realistically are the two and three stars.

But if they can win it doesn't matter who they recruit.

Top Bottom