Is it time?

Rog

Reaction score
That the ""U" does what Wisc did some time ago and that is to eliminate an equal number of Men's and Women's sports so that:
1. Title nine is satisfied and
2. The department can operate in the Black

There will be a lot of howling, which I can understand, but you "gotta do" what you "gotta do".

Right now all the sports, including the revenue sports, are hurting to various degrees in their operating budgets.

nuf said

The department can operate in the black now. Revenue has doubled in the last ten years. The non-revenue sports have seen increases in spending well above inflation during this time and yet they still want more. They're asking for more not because they "need" it, but because they know the money is out there.

That the ""U" does what Wisc did some time ago and that is to eliminate an equal number of Men's and Women's sports so that:

There will be a lot of howling, which I can understand, but you "gotta do" what you "gotta do".

Right now all the sports, including the revenue sports, are hurting to various degrees in their operating budgets.

nuf said
Absolutely not.

nuf said
We are not Wisconsin!!!

I say yes to Rog.

I'm also tired of many of our non-revenue sports(the ones that are supposedly providing opportunities) recruiting and 'providing opportunities' for athletes from all over the world. If it's a non-revenue sport a large portion of the scholarships should be for athletes from Minnesota.

That's my rant for the day...............so far anyway:rolleyes:

I'm with Rog and 19 on this one.

I say yes to Rog.

I'm also tired of many of our non-revenue sports(the ones that are supposedly providing opportunities) recruiting and 'providing opportunities' for athletes from all over the world. If it's a non-revenue sport a large portion of the scholarships should be for athletes from Minnesota.

That's my rant for the day...............so far anyway:rolleyes:

boo. if we're going to have non-revenue sports, let's play to win.

boo. if we're going to have non-revenue sports, let's play to win.

They are free to play to win but not at the expense of paying for a recruit from Russia to come here. Do what we can on a limited budget.

They are free to play to win but not at the expense of paying for a recruit from Russia to come here. Do what we can on a limited budget.
They're already on the limited budget. If they can get a bunch of out-of-staters with their current budget, and they're better players, no reason to second guess the coaches.

Just to point out - if the investigation determines there are unequal opportunities for men and women, the U could not cut women's and men's teams equally - they would likely have to cut a men's team to equalize numbers. I strongly doubt that would happen. If it came to that, some boosters would cough up the cash to keep the team.

They're already on the limited budget. If they can get a bunch of out-of-staters with their current budget, and they're better players, no reason to second guess the coaches.

Where did "second guessing the coaches" come from?

Who am I second guessing?

You're obviously assuming.
I'm assuming that you're second-guessing based upon your complaining. Glad we could get that settled.

I'm assuming that you're second-guessing based upon your complaining. Glad we could get that settled.

I didn't complain about the coaches, and therefore did not 'second guess' them.

It's up to the school, AD, the system, the conference.....whatever. The coaches do what is within the rules to win. Can't fault them for that.

I was not second-guessing the coaches.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Glad we got that settled.

I didn't complain about the coaches, and therefore did not 'second guess' them.

It's up to the school, AD, the system, the conference.....whatever. The coaches do what is within the rules to win. Can't fault them for that.

I was not second-guessing the coaches.

Let's put it this way, even if you're not second guessing them they hate your idea.

Let's put it this way, even if you're not second guessing them they hate your idea.

Maybe, maybe not.

All I'm saying is, if many of these non-revenue sports are about opportunities(and budgets always have to be met) let's give more of the 'opportunities' to MN kids.

Maybe, maybe not.

All I'm saying is, if many of these non-revenue sports are about opportunities(and budgets always have to be met) let's give more of the 'opportunities' to MN kids.

The way I see it, once they get on campus they're MN kids.

Just get rid of track altogether... then Wally Ellenson and Devin Crawford-Tufts can rejoin the basketball and football teams :)

I heard yesterday that one person that runs outdoor, indoor, and cross country, satisfies the requirements for three athletes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you need to drop some non-revenue men's sports to satisfy Title IX.....then do it. Just make damn sure FB and men's BB are first and foremost priorities.

Fact to remember: You're can't satisfy everyone.

Tempting. If they want 10% of "a lot", let;s give them 0% of a lot less. Mind boggling hubris and stupidity.

Two thoughts. I agree with 19 on using most scholarships on Minnesota players for non-revenue sports. Why would we recruit internationally for a sport like golf? While I hate to have a hard and fast rule, maybe you use a target of 75%.

Second, when you talk about non-revenue sports how are the revenues of the Big Ten network assigned? The Big Ten network couldn't survive with only football and Men's basketball even if they are the two drivers.

Two thoughts. I agree with 19 on using most scholarships on Minnesota players for non-revenue sports. Why would we recruit internationally for a sport like golf? While I hate to have a hard and fast rule, maybe you use a target of 75%.

Second, when you talk about non-revenue sports how are the revenues of the Big Ten network assigned? The Big Ten network couldn't survive with only football and Men's basketball even if they are the two drivers.

Of course the big ten network could survive based on football and basketball. Those are the only programs with any ratings. Most of the other programming is very cheap to produce. As far as I can tell the big ten network money is not assigned to football or basketball. The 30 million in profit sharing from the conference (btn money, bowl money and march madness money) is just thrown into general revenue for the athletic department.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would we recruit internationally for a sport like golf?

Because the 1998 NCAA individual title, the 2002 NCAA team title or last year's Big Ten team title would never have happened without international recruits.

Football and men's basketball are the ONLY REASONS BTN exists!

Start assigning revenue and expenses to each individual sport. Maybe that will help people realize what the facts are..........then again maybe not. Lot's of idiots out there.

50% would be a huge improvement for mn scholarships. Obviously MN could not do it alone. Why do we need a Minnesota golf team(that loses money) made up of mostly Australians?

If non-revenue sports are about opportunities.....let's give the opportunities to Minnesotans.......at least a higher percentage.

Because the 1998 NCAA individual title, the 2002 NCAA team title or last year's Big Ten team title would never have happened without international recruits.

And that would be bad because .... ?

Top Bottom