Is it time to replace Williams Arena?

Is it time to replace Williams Arena?

• A new building is needed.

• I love the Barn. We need to keep it.

• This has been very torn. I simply can't decide

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tear down but make the rebuild as much like the original as possible a la Missouri basketball and Yankee Stadium.

The new Yankee Stadium is nicer than old Yankee Stadium but I have no desire to go back there, unlike the old one.

The same people saying they would tear it down are the ones who would complain that playing off-campus for 1-2 seasons set the program back.
Nah. Target Center is not far and getting to play on an NBA court could be a selling point. Especially if the Wolves ever stop sucking.

They shouldn't even consider it until the last big project is paid off.

If they do something they should renovate the current building rather than building a new arena. It should be cheaper and lead to a nicer result.

I never thought I'd say this, but knock down The Barn, rebuild the Camden Yards of The Barn with the quirky features we all love.

Don't half ass this.

Go Gophers!!

The new Yankee Stadium is nicer than old Yankee Stadium but I have no desire to go back there, unlike the old one.

If #12 Minnesota was hosting #4 Michigan State on a Saturday night at the new Barn, you'd have no desire to go?

If #12 Minnesota was hosting #4 Michigan State on a Saturday night at the new Barn, you'd have no desire to go?

It would certainly lack the atmosphere of the Barn we all know and love. I'm sure it would be a money grab, as everything is, and that would certainly ruin any chances of it being an improvement.

It is my absolute favorite arena to watch a basketball game in, however, I’m for doing what’s necessary to bring in top recruits. I wonder what recruits think of “The Barn” vs newer arenas. If the Barn doesn’t deter recruits than I’m all for keeping it as is, I like nostalgia

Nah. Target Center is not far and getting to play on an NBA court could be a selling point. Especially if the Wolves ever stop sucking.
Target Center sucks! Nose bleed seats, endless concourse and stairs. And it’s located on 1st Ave N. The kill zone.

Target Center sucks! Nose bleed seats, endless concourse and stairs. And it’s located on 1st Ave N. The kill zone.

This. Worst arena in NBA. Just an awful design for every event. It's basketball's new Comiskey.

This. Worst arena in NBA. Just an awful design for every event. It's basketball's new Comiskey.
You, or anyone else here, has no idea if it is the worst arena in the NBA. It isn't good though, that is for sure.

P.S I'm not at all in favor of tearing down the Barn.

You, or anyone else here, has no idea if it is the worst arena in the NBA. It isn't good though, that is for sure.

P.S I'm not at all in favor of tearing down the Barn.
Google "worst arenas in the NBA" and Target Center tops the the first 3 lists I saw, except for the Bradley Center, which is no longer used.

Google "worst arenas in the NBA" and Target Center tops the the first 3 lists I saw, except for the Bradley Center, which is no longer used.

Before the renovation, probably yes. After...not so clear. The first five sites on google I saw were from 2011, 2012, etc.. My point was that no one hear has any idea outside of a list.

Calm down, Boomer. It'll only be for a season or two.

I love the barn, but it might be time.

Gopher fans like to rip the Kohl Center. I have been there twice and while yes it was underwhelming, both times the crowd made it hostile for the Gophers, the sight lines were great, and even though I was in the upper deck I did not have to go down several flights of stairs to use the restroom.

As you have said, they also know how to build nice stadiums now that could maintain or create charm like a smaller version of Bankers Life Field House in Indy.
Badger fans feel the same about the Kohl Center. It is already in its sunset years

Are you a structural engineer?. If so please submit your design of how to keep the roof up while removing obstructed views. (Other than removing seats that is)
University of Washington faced a similar situation when deciding what to do with the Hec Edmondson Pavilion built in 1927. It also had a massive roof truss design that had supports that obstructed views. Their solution was to replace the numerous supports with two single span (223 feet) roof supports, one for each side of the building, to hild up the roof truss system. The cost for the renovation project, which included just about everything inside the building, was $45 million in 1999, about $70 million today.

Read more at:
Design Team Got a Workout at Hec Ed

If you could pull off a near replica, and as the last poster alluded to, get rid of obstructed view seats and have it be updated.

But I voted no because my fear is it would be built on the cheap

Calm down, Boomer. It'll only be for a season or two.
In those two seasons, a certain number of Gopher faithfuls will undoubtedly succumb to downtown crime, and end up getting capped in they ass. A sad outcome, but perhaps necessary.

If you could pull off a near replica, and as the last poster alluded to, get rid of obstructed view seats and have it be updated.

But I voted no because my fear is it would be built on the cheap

I love the Barn, but I am a dinosaur. It needs major renovations for fan convenience as everyone knows. I would probably vote no on a new arena, since I am an upper deck ticket holder. The over hang allows us in the upper deck to be much closer than in modern upper bowl style arenas. Something needs to be done sooner rather than later, though. If I recall the last major renovation was in 94 and they said it would last 25 years. We're past due.

I'm not sure a near replica is possible, especially in the upper deck.

I love the Barn, but I am a dinosaur. It needs major renovations for fan convenience as everyone knows. I would probably vote no on a new arena, since I am an upper deck ticket holder. The over hang allows us in the upper deck to be much closer than in modern upper bowl style arenas. Something needs to be done sooner rather than later, though. If I recall the last major renovation was in 94 and they said it would last 25 years. We're past due.

I'm not sure a near replica is possible, especially in the upper deck.
those seats are awesome

If they just remodeled the bathrooms, that would go a long way. No one should be subjected to a troff in this day and age

Tear down but make the rebuild as much like the original as possible a la Missouri basketball and Yankee Stadium.

This seems like the best option if it were to be replaced. They even arguably did the same thing with TCF Bank Stadium in having the brick exterior and horseshoe shape as a sort of nod to Memorial Stadium.

This seems like the best option if it were to be replaced. They even arguably did the same thing with TCF Bank Stadium in having the brick exterior and horseshoe shape as a sort of nod to Memorial Stadium.
At some point the line between major renovation and rebuild can get blurred. But I feel like the major renovations I've seen never come out great. Think of Soldier Field and Lambeau Field. Both pretty meh IMO. Plus it would be foolish not to remove the issue with obstructed view seats and I don't see how you can do that without knocking it down and starting over.

Top Bottom