Is it time to lower the Barn?

roadrunner

Reaction score
In 2027, the home of Gopher basketball, the Barn, will be 100 years old. It has seen some great players pass through including Mychal Thompson and Kevin McHale, and seen 8 conference championships and an elite eight appearance- but it is not Yankee Stadium.
The other major sports have opened Mariucci Arena in 1993, Huntington Bank Stadium in 2009, and Siebert Field in 2012. While Gopher basketball has been left out, with the excuse that the Barn is a tradition like no other. Further, the U has recently found money for new track, tennis, aquatics, and women's hockey and softball facilities. Could it not find money for a new Williams Arena? Or will we have to wait for a Metrodome moment to bring basketball into the 21st century...

In 2027, the home of Gopher basketball, the Barn, will be 100 years old. It has seen some great players pass through including Mychal Thompson and Kevin McHale, and seen 8 conference championships and an elite eight appearance- but it is not Yankee Stadium.
The other major sports have opened Mariucci Arena in 1993, Huntington Bank Stadium in 2009, and Siebert Field in 2012. While Gopher basketball has been left out, with the excuse that the Barn is a tradition like no other. Further, the U has recently found money for new track, tennis, aquatics, and women's hockey and softball facilities. Could it not find money for a new Williams Arena? Or will we have to wait for a Metrodome moment to bring basketball into the 21st century...
They have also cut sports like Men's indoor track

Agreed! The facility (Williams and the Pav) is way too antiquated. Old and venerated is one thing. Decrepit is another. In the Pav, where we see VB, many attendees are senior citizens, who have trouble managing the stairways, which lack handrails and have awkward steps. The bleacher seats are small and crowded. Some seating has obstructed views. It feels like a matter of time only before a fan stumbles on the awkward stairs and files a law suit against the U. Hopefully that never happens, but I think of it every time I see someone stumble in the ancient arena. In addition, how many top modern-day BB recruits are going to fall for the chance to play in a half-empty (or worse) Barn built a century ago and showing its age?

If I remember correctly, it wasn't even built for this purpose. Wasn't it first built as an indoor football practice facility? And hasn't it literally been falling apart since the 1950s (when an exterior wall collapsed)? I mean, you can legitimately argue that it's been a temporary home for these sports since the building was repurposed for them how many years ago.

On the other hand, it's a very nice home as temporary homes go. Not great, but they've made it into a good competition space with all the improvements over the years. They could probably preserve that building indefinitely and continue to refine and renew it. It's certainly eligible for the National Register; is it on it?

One way or another, the current building within its constraints cannot be expanded or modified to provide the amenities that fans have at other venues. In order to realize that, you'd have to reroute streets and do things to the building that would render it unrecognizable, at least from the outside. If that kind of fan experience is considered essential, then it IS time to move on. If us fans can tolerate things the way they are, we have other societal needs.

I was recently told that program insiders consider the building a major recruiting disadvantage--that today's recruits look at that old building and roll their eyes. I'm not going to dismiss that assertion out of hand, but it's reasonble to be skeptical. We swallowed what the Twins said, hook, line and sinker: that if we built them a new stadium, that it would translate to better players and more wins. I believe they have a losing record since they moved into Target Field, and of course, they haven't won even one single playoff game since occupying the building.

Last edited:

Renovations yes, total rebuild noooooo! I enjoy the simplicity of the Barn, easy to get around. Building is a historical land mark. Remove the obstructed and bench seats and figure out what to do with the extra space that would be created.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't even built for this purpose. Wasn't it first built as an indoor football practice facility? And hasn't it literally been falling apart since the 1950s (when an exterior wall collapsed)? I mean, you can legitimately argue that it's been a temporary home for these sports since the building was repurposed for them how many years ago.

On the other hand, it's a very nice home as temporary homes go. Not great, but they've made it into a good competition space with all the improvements over the years. They could probably preserve that building indefinitely and continue to refine and renew it. It's certainly eligible for the National Register; is it on it?

One way or another, the current building within its constraints cannot be expanded or modified to provide the amenities that fans have at other venues. In order to realize that, you'd have to reroute streets and do things to the building that would render it unrecognizable, at least from the outside. If that kind of fan experience is considered essential, then it IS time to move on. If us fans can tolerate things the way they are, we have other societal needs.

I was recently told that program insiders consider the building a major recruiting disadvantage--that today's recruits look at that old building and roll their eyes. I'm not going to dismiss that assertion out of hand, but it's reasonble to be skeptical. We swallowed what the Twins said, hook, line and sinker: that if we built them a new stadium, that it would translate to better players and more wins. Of course, they haven't won even one single playoff game since they moved into Target Field.
The Metrodome was a football stadium that happened to accommodate baseball. I guess that falls in line with the temporary home explanation you provided though. Still, the Barn has character and is unique. Not sure why the players would care so much especially if their locker room is considered up to date. They aren't spending much time in the stands watching games.

The Metrodome was a football stadium that happened to accommodate baseball. I guess that falls in line with the temporary home explanation you provided though. Still, the Barn has character and is unique. Not sure why the players would care so much especially if their locker room is considered up to date. They aren't spending much time in the stands watching games.
That's my question, too: what's the players' beef? Can they be specific? Are these things that can be addressed, or is it just a vague, whiney aversion to old buildings?

I’d like to hear what Coyle says and what his vision of it is.

The bottom line is if we were perennially in the NCAA tournament and winning games, people would think Williams Arena is charming and love it for being different. But when you're losing games for 20+ years there, it seems decrepit.

Would a new arena attract recruits? I can't imagine they'd really care that much but I'm not connected to that scene.

They even built a new Yankee Stadium

Celebrate the barn in 2027, retire it after 100 seasons, and move into a modern stadium in 2028. Easy peasy. Let’s not hold onto the barn because we are near the top of oldest stadium leaderboard.

Level it. Rebuild a modern replica. Just like Yankee stadium.
There would probably be little opposition if their intention was to do a near exact replica (same layout, raised court, etc...) only issue would be the funding. Probably not a possibility until they're off the hook for athlete's village.

Celebrate the barn in 2027, retire it after 100 seasons, and move into a modern stadium in 2028. Easy peasy. Let’s not hold onto the barn because we are near the top of oldest stadium leaderboard.
So they play in the target center or excel for a season or two? A lot of moving parts if they were to do a total rebuild.

Is there any realistic place on campus to build a new arena outside of where the Barn is though? They would need to play elsewhere (Target Center) for 1-2 seasons. I'd hate to drag it out until 2027 and then delay a new building until 2030 if it can be done sooner.

So they play in the target center or excel for a season or two? A lot of moving parts if they were to do a total rebuild.
I’ll leave the finance, construction, and other logistics for you to handle.

Joking aside, I hold a lot less nostalgia for the barn than others. It’s not that comfortable, and imo it has little draw for the typical resident of the twin cities. Actual Cost/benefit of a new stadium is tough to figure, especially for a team that’s most commonly found in the bottom four of the big ten.

I think the U could leverage the 100 year mark in its push to replace it, if that were to be desired by Coyle and others. I think closing doors after 100 years might be easier for those that value the nostalgia

I’d raise the roof instead. People use to do that in a celebratory fashion.

It's not just the Barn though. It's the Pav. Hugh has been clear that he has no desire to play in a substantially larger venue because of the home environment advantage it gives volleyball. I'm assuming the new coach will agree. I get it. I think slightly smaller venues that will routinely be filled are much better than larger venues that are half empty.

The too slow to get to point is that we aren't just figuring out basketball, but volleyball and wrestling too. Which means at least two and possibly three different venues.

Level it. Rebuild a modern replica. Just like Yankee stadium.
I think this would be a solid plan. I love the feel of the barn, its old and has issues but its my favorite arena to be in. I think it being old has almost 0 to do with it being full/empty. If you win it will be full, if you lose even a new stadium will be empty. You think if we are 3-15 some year and are playing Chicago St that it would be full?

That's my question, too: what's the players' beef? Can they be specific? Are these things that can be addressed, or is it just a vague, whiney aversion to old buildings?
especially now with really nice practice digs. They probably dont even spend much time there. If Gophers are winning, everyone will love it again.

OK, time for me to float my wacky idea.

Replace the State Fair Grandstand with a new indoor arena.

the arena can be used for State Fair Concerts, special events - and serve as the home of Gopher Basketball. lots of parking available on the grounds. getting to and from games would not be any worse, and might be better, then the current situation on the U of MN campus.

work out the financing between the Fair board, the U of MN, and the various city/county officials.

the arena can be used for State Fair Concerts, special events - and serve as the home of Gopher Basketball. lots of parking available on the grounds. getting to and from games would not be any worse, and might be better, then the current situation on the U of MN campus.

work out the financing between the Fair board, the U of MN, and the various city/county officials.
Surprised the Tommies haven't tried that. Since they were about $200 million short with T&C, I don't think those guys will take any of their calls again seriously

Not that wacky, and probably makes a lot of sense. Would it be a tough sell to have the bball arena away from all the other sports though? Basketball would be the only sport that would have to "travel" to the game. The U campus is all over the place so it wouldn't be too much different from the rest of the University.

Is there any realistic place on campus to build a new arena outside of where the Barn is though? They would need to play elsewhere (Target Center) for 1-2 seasons. I'd hate to drag it out until 2027 and then delay a new building until 2030 if it can be done sooner.
Personally, I can’t believe that that Days Inn is still standing.

An interesting idea, but there is zero chance the U wants an off-campus arena. Otherwise they could just go in with the Wolves on a new building.

Creative idea! But from my own perspective, the state fair grandstand shows I've seen there wouldn't have been the same indoors. Is there room on that campus for an arena besides keeping the grandstand?

Top Bottom