Is it Sanford???

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Is that why they’re running all the time? Afraid to pass in the 4th quarter? They have Morgan, Bateman, and Autman Bell!!!!! The play calling seems out of rhythm. Morgan seems frustrated. I’ll call it now, Simon becomes sole full time OC in the next year or two.

Is that why they’re running all the time? Afraid to pass in the 4th quarter? They have Morgan, Bateman, and Autman Bell!!!!! The play calling seems out of rhythm. Morgan seems frustrated. I’ll call it now, Simon becomes sole full time OC in the next year or two.
How about by the next game. I'd be fine with that.

On the Action Network ncaaf betting pod a couple of weeks ago they were really bagging on Sanford for being a step down from Ciarocca, but scoring hasn't really seemed to be the problem

Something is very very off with the offense right now. The spark from last year is totally missing. The offense last year was dominant, we have not seen that yet this season. And they are going to need to be in order to give us any shot while the defense hopefully figures something/anything out.

Then to have one of our only passes (with a stacked box) be that jailbreak screen is horrendous. If they stack the box, lets see if that FR can cover Bateman. If they don't stack the box, run the ball.

Ciarrocca annoyed some folks, but he was good at keeping it simple. Grinding this one out should have been easy.

The offense went into kill the clock mode with the lead because they were scared of our defense.
It's that plain and simple.

Whether that was PJ's call or Sanford's, I don't know.

Also, with CAB, #0, and even Daniel Jackson looking good, how you don't show a bit more balance on first down, I don't know.

Unless if you are scared your O-line can't protect.

Something is very very off with the offense right now. The spark from last year is totally missing. The offense last year was dominant, we have not seen that yet this season. And they are going to need to be in order to give us any shot while the defense hopefully figures something/anything out.
Did you miss the part of the game where we scored on 6 straight possessions?

The offense went into kill the clock mode with the lead because they were scared of our defense.

Also, with CAB, #0, and even Daniel Jackson looking good, how you don't show a bit more balance on first down, I don't know.

Nathan Boe didn't look great once Ruschmeyer went out.

Yes it is. You need to use your weapons. Mo and the OL did all they could do. Tanner was on, CAB was in a zone and Bateman was ready to go against a bad Md D. This one is one PJ.

Nathan Boe didn't look great once Ruschmeyer went out.

I didn't watch him that closely, but he had a good block and protected okay I think.
On run plays, MD was bringing 9 so hard to say O-line was good or bad when it's that predictable.

Our super predictable vanilla 6 play playbook offense.

If Sanford is the play caller in this group, he's 100% to blame and he was a huge mistake hire.
Cut him loose and stick with Matt Simon. Ya know...the guy who won us the Outback bowl over Auburn?

Sanford was such a f up on PJ's part. why even mess with that.....

We should be able to pile up lots of points against Maryland. Northwestern nearly hung 50 on them. But when the chips were down the offense went into a complete shell in the 4th quarter. We need to put the ball in Morgan's hands more and let him put it in the air. He makes great decisions. Turning and handing the ball off to Mo 40 times is way to much.

Mn kicked a field goal with 2+ minutes left in the 3rd qtr. Total offense for the remainder of regulation was a net 23 yards (play selection was 8 runs and 3 pass attempts). With the defense playing so poorly and Md stacking the box, I am baffled by the play calling. I am stunned, but I will still cheer them on each and every week regardless, however the play calling and defensive execution were attrocious tonight, IMHO.

I loved the announcer saying "we've got enough time left" (referring to MD)

What in the F happened to the passing game from last year???

We should be able to pile up lots of points against Maryland. Northwestern nearly hung 50 on them. But when the chips were down the offense went into a complete shell in the 4th quarter. We need to put the ball in Morgan's hands more and let him put it in the air. He makes great decisions. Turning and handing the ball off to Mo 40 times is way to much.
I agree. 2 3 and outs in the 4th. A couple first downs and Maryland wouldn't have had time to make a comeback (probably).
Usually running the ball is the right move in that situation. But Maryland was clearly selling out to stop it and that's when you throw the dagger at them and take a shot deep.

Sure, there was that part...then, there was the part where Maryland adjusted and sold out to stopping the run. The Gophers took advantage of it on one drive with the Autman-Bell TD...then played right into Maryland's hand the rest of the game.

No it’s not Sanford.

The problem is the Gophers have one of the worse if not the worst defense in all of college football.
Disagree. Score any points in the 4th qtr and you win. Run on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down in a tie game late. Defense is bad but offense has almost everybody back. Offense was chicken sh^t. Had multiple chance to put the game away.

Completely agree! I was yelling at the screen for them to change things up. In fact, I was yelling that in the first half as I think we all know, they'll (even a Locksey coached team!!) shut it down eventually. Why wait for them to shut it down; keep the balance (and keep the D off balance) and we won't have to worry.

That to me is what is missing so far this year. They have been SOOOOO run heavy. Same against Michigan, and yes, Bates had 100 yards. When the game was in reach, he wasn't close to the yardage he ended with. They've thrown the ball deep way more to CAB than Bateman, what's up with that?? I have a feeling Rashod is wondering the same.

Sanford showed exactly what it looks like to play not to lose instead of to win the game. Simon showed what it looks like to play to win the game last year on the 4th and 1 call to beat Auburn last year.
I know it's only 1 game, but this feels like one of those instinctual things where you either have the guts or you don't. Simon does, Sanford...?

I think we know why Lafleur took Jordan Love in the 1st round.

Completely agree! I was yelling at the screen for them to change things up. In fact, I was yelling that in the first half as I think we all know, they'll (even a Locksey coached team!!) shut it down eventually. Why wait for them to shut it down; keep the balance (and keep the D off balance) and we won't have to worry.

That to me is what is missing so far this year. They have been SOOOOO run heavy. Same against Michigan, and yes, Bates had 100 yards. When the game was in reach, he wasn't close to the yardage he ended with. They've thrown the ball deep way more to CAB than Bateman, what's up with that?? I have a feeling Rashod is wondering the same.
I agree with you, but then the beautiful thing was that because we were so run heavy in the first 3 quarters, all we had to do was throw the ball when they brought 8 and 9 in the box in the 4th quarter. It's that simple. But we didn't. So that makes it a lot more difficult.

I also thought Potts looked great tonight so I really hope they would use him more going forward. A running back should not have 41 carries with the next guy up having 3 carries. Mo had to be gassed as the end.

Really frustrating to see decision making of coaches like that tonight.

No it’s not Sanford.

The problem is the Gophers have one of the worse if not the worst defense in all of college football.
Then why go into a shell at the start of the 4th quarter. Maryland left the WR 1 on 1 most of the quarter and stacked the box. What do we do, try to run on first and second down almost every series. Then punt after three plays. F-ing stupid. Just 1 first down pass play would have resulted in a long gain or TD

I think they've gone Vikings / Zimmer style.

Worried about the defense so offense has to play slow, own time of possession.
Also, O-line is missing some people, so keep things simple. Simple pass protection. Simple run plays.

Try to get a lead and kill the clock.

Then why go into a shell at the start of the 4th quarter. Maryland left the WR 1 on 1 most of the quarter and stacked the box. What do we do, try to run on first and second down almost every series. Then punt after three plays. F-ing stupid. Just 1 first down pass play would have resulted in a long gain or TD
It really is just baffling. I mean what it really is is just ultra conservative, which is just so painful. We've seen how that goes time and time again in sports. So brutal. Definitely early for Sanford but he is fading fast for me. CAB only made plays when you gave him a chance. Bateman is a 1st round talent. Morgan is clearly an above average college QB that can make throws. 9 guys in the box.

It's just weak play calling.

Top Bottom