Is it really the "Big Ten Network?"

Rog

Reaction score
I tuned in to the BTN to night because it was advertised as "The BTN greatest games"
Before it was tuned in I wondered if either Michigan or Ohio State would be on. Sure enough it was the Ohio State - Iowa game.
Every time I tune in it is either Michigan of Ohio State as one of the teams. What goes?
The last time I saw Minnesota as one of the "Greatest Games" was a couple years ago when Mason beat Ohio State in Columbus.
Conclusion -- Ohio State or Michigan has to be one of the teams or it couldn't be classified as "one of the Greatest Games"
I guess we should be satisfied as the BTN gave us 24 million last year.

Yeh, it does blow Rog. We're one of the little sisters on the Network . They should be doing live everyone of the Gopher Women's hockey games. JHC...53 in a row!

Rog said:
I tuned in to the BTN to night because it was advertised as "The BTN greatest games"
Before it was tuned in I wondered if either Michigan or Ohio State would be on. Sure enough it was the Ohio State - Iowa game.
Every time I tune in it is either Michigan of Ohio State as one of the teams. What goes?
The last time I saw Minnesota as one of the "Greatest Games" was a couple years ago when Mason beat Ohio State in Columbus.
Conclusion -- Ohio State or Michigan has to be one of the teams or it couldn't be classified as "one of the Greatest Games"

Well, what would you say are our greatest games? They are usually going to be when you win a game against a team that's much better than you (mich 2005, PSU 2001, etc.) or a hard-fought rivalry game (Wisconsin 2003). BTN shows all of those, but since Michigan and Ohio State are historically the best teams, games against them are going to fall into the first category for most teams. Plus Mich and OSU have their games against each other.

Michigan and Ohio State have more games that are "Great" because they play more games that are relevant.

Michigan and Ohio State have more games that are "Great" because they play more games that are relevant.

And when teams beat them, it often becomes one of that team's greatest games.

Better ratings, more money to the U.

I'll sacrifice watching Minnesota beat Illinois for its only BT win in 1996.

I am just happy that the greatest human being ever, Glen Mason, is a broadcaster on our great network. :rolleyes:

I don't care who BTN shows on "Great Games" as long as U of M receives its equal share of BTN money.

If it weren't for Ohio State and Michigan, the BTN wouldn't exist and we'd be watching the Gophers 4 times a year. They can show whatever the heck they want for all I care. I'm just glad we can watch the live games on TV every week.

If it weren't for Ohio State and Michigan, the BTN wouldn't exist and we'd be watching the Gophers 4 times a year. They can show whatever the heck they want for all I care. I'm just glad we can watch the live games on TV every week.

almost...

almost...

Hey, AggieVision counts. I was able to watch it live, and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I remember Nebraska fans talking about how they had to pay a chunk for like half their games in the Big 12. I'll take a week of iffy crap to not have that set up anymore.

BTN needs to make money to exist - and thus, they need as high of ratings as possible. So it would behoove them to cater most to the programs with the most fans out there in order to get the best ratings as possible....you guessed it...Michigan and Ohio State.

Networks don't keep low-rated shows on-air just to cater to the minority, unless they want to go out of business.

Ahhh. The Grinster. Our next football coach. I bet Woody is already working the numbers.

I love it when they show classic Big 10 games and its of Nebraska or Penn St playing games that occurred looooong before they were in the conference.

I love it when they show classic Big 10 games and its of Nebraska or Penn St playing games that occurred looooong before they were in the conference.

Wait until you see classic Maryland-UVa games next year. Or better yet Rutgers and um... South Florida?

Maybe you are not paying attention to the OP's original thought. I've seen Michigan vs Akron listed on the network a bunch of times. It's not that they play only "great" games. They play (almost) only recent Michigan or tOSU games.

If the Gophers and NW have a 48-45 overtime game this weekend, you can bet that BTN will replay a Michigan 27-3 win over Illinois 10 times before you see a Gopher replay.

Unregistered User said:
Maybe you are not paying attention to the OP's original thought. I've seen Michigan vs Akron listed on the network a bunch of times. It's not that they play only "great" games. They play (almost) only recent Michigan or tOSU games.

If the Gophers and NW have a 48-45 overtime game this weekend, you can bet that BTN will replay a Michigan 27-3 win over Illinois 10 times before you see a Gopher replay.

No, the OP's original thought was about the "BTN Greatest Games"; not replays of the previous weeks games.

No, the OP's original thought was about the "BTN Greatest Games"; not replays of the previous weeks games.

And my point is that they listed a "greatest game" and it was Michigan/Akron from this year. i.e. they don't always play "great" games, they predominantly play Michigan or tOSU.

Today:

Michigan/PSU 2013, replayed at 9:00
Michigan/Indiana 2010
tOSU/Purdue 2000
Indiana/MSU is played twice today as well
MSU/Purdue 2010

2007 Gophers/NW is being played at midnight tomorrow night.

They name them all "Greatest Games" or "Classic Games".

I'm not trying to start a piss fight or anything. I think it's obvious to anyone that watches BTN that they favor Meat-chicken and tOSU probably because that's what puts eyeballs on the screen.

Unregistered User;776471I think it's obvious to anyone that watches BTN that they favor Meat-chicken and tOSU probably because that's what puts eyeballs on the screen.[/QUOTE said:
As they should. The BTN exists to provide member schools money over anything else, and this is the best way to pack the coffers.

Top Bottom