Is Carrington another Kalscheur?

Gabe is the basketball shooting equivalent of Kirk Cousins passing. If things go exactly accordingly to plan, the way they practiced it thousands of times precisely over and over, they are extremely good and accurate.

Any deviation from that rehearsed motion, repetition and situation and there are problems.

I have no comment on Carrington. I just really wanted to squeeze in that comparison.

I’d prefer to win games . Players should earn playing time and that’s what good coaches preach.
I want to go against standard operating procedure.

I want to line-up 5 very good starters...all on the same team. Same year. Not coming & going so we only have 3 good starters at a time, etc.

Kalshuer might be the most overrated Gopher in history.

He read this thread and decided to make few threes!
and still get lost on defense more times than he did made threes!! 😜

but seriously good for Carrington! he needed this game on offense! hopefully he can continue to keep it rolling on that end and hopefully slowly figure it out on the defensive end

I’d prefer to win games . Players should earn playing time and that’s what good coaches preach.
Just floating an idea here. What if this week in practice, only 3 of the players on my team met the standards I set for earning playing time? Maybe we had the flu going through the team or maybe we had a 3 straight days of bad practices or most of my guys only met 70% of my standards. Do I only suit up those three guys and play 3 vs 5? Or do I forfeit the game as a lesson that I really mean it when I say you have to EARN playing time?

and still get lost on defense more times than he did made threes!! 😜

but seriously good for Carrington! he needed this game on offense! hopefully he can continue to keep it rolling on that end and hopefully slowly figure it out on the defensive end
I thought his defense was fine and he was pretty active on the boards. That was a bad team, but 56 points, 34% from the field, 20% from three, that's a good performance. Bigger concerns are can Cooper and Samuels guard one's, can Battle guard wings, I'll admit Dawson's been better on defense the last couple games so I'm not as worried, can JOJ and Payne guard people without fouling? Can Henley and Thompson do anything right on defense? Think those are all bigger issues than Carrington on that side of the ball. All in all it was a matter of time before Carrington's shot fell and tonight it did

I thought his defense was fine and he was pretty active on the boards. That was a bad team, but 56 points, 34% from the field, 20% from three, that's a good performance. Bigger concerns are can Cooper and Samuels guard one's, can Battle guard wings, I'll admit Dawson's been better on defense the last couple games so I'm not as worried, can JOJ and Payne guard people without fouling? Can Henley and Thompson do anything right on defense? Think those are all bigger issues than Carrington on that side of the ball. All in all it was a matter of time before Carrington's shot fell and tonight it did
He got torched on some dribble drives. Other than that he had a good game. Hopefully with the shot coming the better defense will follow.

Please say something terrible about one of our other freshmen...I want them to have a great game too.

I never get tired of snarky cliches. Always hits the spot.
My comment with High School teams and why I don't really care about him hitting a few wide-open threes last night against a horrendous team... A real team will most likely take these shots away or at least content them. I would've like to see him expand his game by attacking the rim and putting the ball on the floor ang going to the rim (multiple times) in this game. It is outside of his comfort zone...and this would've been exciting to see, as it would've shown growth as a player.

But, he reverted to the same, and I know that real teams will not let that happen. But, if he could at least threaten to go to the hole, that would create potentially more room for him as defenders would now have to think drive vs just "this guy will only jack a long shot"

My comment with High School teams and why I don't really care about him hitting a few wide-open threes last night against a horrendous team... A real team will most likely take these shots away or at least content them. I would've like to see him expand his game by attacking the rim and putting the ball on the floor ang going to the rim (multiple times) in this game. It is outside of his comfort zone...and this would've been exciting to see, as it would've shown growth as a player.

But, he reverted to the same, and I know that real teams will not let that happen. But, if he could at least threaten to go to the hole, that would create potentially more room for him as defenders would now have to think drive vs just "this guy will only jack a long shot"
So hitting shots, 3's, is nothing if you didn't create the opening all by yourself?

Are you still saying Carrington will only be a 7th or 8th man in his senior year?

So hitting shots, 3's, is nothing if you didn't create the opening all by yourself?

Are you still saying Carrington will only be a 7th or 8th man in his senior year?
On a top 5 big10 team, I think that is the case. He hasn’t shown the ball handling, the quickness, or the ability to really do anything except have a game where he hits a few shots against Sister’s of the Poor.

He really needs to work on his ball handling and his attack mentality. He can’t only be a 3pm shooter (he’s had 1 decent game) and average defender.

On a top 5 big10 team, I think that is the case. He hasn’t shown the ball handling, the quickness, or the ability to really do anything except have a game where he hits a few shots against Sister’s of the Poor.

He really needs to work on his ball handling and his attack mentality. He can’t only be a 3pm shooter (he’s had 1 decent game) and average defender.
What you don't seem to understand is...he's a freshman. And the season just barely started.

He had 15 points vs UNLV. He's averaging 8.0 with 4.9 rebounds. This is exactly what I'm hoping for in a freshman like him.

He is a FR. Most of them are not going to show a ton all the time. What did you expect from a FR?

He had good games against a decent Cal-Baptist team, a good UNLV team, and a good Purdue team. He also does things that you just choose to ignore. He averages almost 5 rebounds per game.

So he's only been good sometimes against good teams and he doesn't do anything besides shoot except the things you want to ignore. Makes sense.

He is a FR. Most of them are not going to show a ton all the time. What did you expect from a FR?

He had good games against a decent Cal-Baptist team, a good UNLV team, and a good Purdue team. He also does things that you just choose to ignore. He averages almost 5 rebounds per game.

So he's only been good sometimes against good teams and he doesn't do anything besides shoot except the things you want to ignore. Makes sense.
His rebounding against purdue was good, that is a good call out. I didn't see Cap Baptist game as that was before I upgrade by Xfinity package to watch CBS Sports Network. But in general, he settles for a lot of shots...and he misses a lot of those shots, he rarely puts the ball on the floor in an attempt to drive past his defender to attack the rim (dribbling around the perimeter in an arc doesn't count), and there are multiple times per game that he gets burned on defense.

I'm personally much higher on JoJ (and Payne there is no argument to be had as he is our clear cut best freshman). Henley doesn't get a mention as he should've redshirted and gotten used to the speed of college basketball compared to the HS level he was at.

His rebounding against purdue was good, that is a good call out. I didn't see Cap Baptist game as that was before I upgrade by Xfinity package to watch CBS Sports Network. But in general, he settles for a lot of shots...and he misses a lot of those shots, he rarely puts the ball on the floor in an attempt to drive past his defender to attack the rim (dribbling around the perimeter in an arc doesn't count), and there are multiple times per game that he gets burned on defense.

I'm personally much higher on JoJ (and Payne there is no argument to be had as he is our clear cut best freshman). Henley doesn't get a mention as he should've redshirted and gotten used to the speed of college basketball compared to the HS level he was at.
He also didn't just rebound good against Purdue. He rebounded good against Mississippi State (10), Purdue (6), Virginia Tech (5), UNLV (8). The games he hasn't been a plus rebounder are more the anomaly. It's part of the reason that I'm high on him, guards who aren't incredibly athletic who rebound well are usually really smart players (Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Brogdon).

I'm a fan of his but I don't think he's ever going to be that. He will be an efficient wing who can be a secondary ball handler, hit open shots, hopefully be a plus defender. A good version of that kind of player is a top 5 on every single Big 10 team.

I'm not saying he is going to be a super star but of all of our issues, Carrington's development is one of the small bright spots. He isn't going to be great this year and should be brought along slowly (so it will be frustrating), but he's nowhere near the problem.

Carrington went 15 and 8 against UNLV, think his game will translate just fine, he's seven games into his college career, far from a finished product. Also, he was Sizzle's most productive player in AAU, which is a far better barometer of anything that he did at Park Center. Went to the hole three times got fouled and converted his six free throws, it's like you don't watch the game or anything

Carrington went 15 and 8 against UNLV, think his game will translate just fine, he's seven games into his college career, far from a finished product. Also, he was Sizzle's most productive player in AAU, which is a far better barometer of anything that he did at Park Center. Went to the hole three times got fouled and converted his six free throws, it's like you don't watch the game or anything
UNLV is many games ago and he’s maybe gone to the hole 2 times since l. You’re reaching back to AAU basketball which doesn’t necessarily have the best name in basketball circles other than trying to raise an individual’s profile (not by defense or team basketball)…multiple drives per game should be part of his game, and it hasn’t been, everyone can see that. He’s a spot shooter

He also didn't just rebound good against Purdue. He rebounded good against Mississippi State (10), Purdue (6), Virginia Tech (5), UNLV (8). The games he hasn't been a plus rebounder are more the anomaly. It's part of the reason that I'm high on him, guards who aren't incredibly athletic who rebound well are usually really smart players (Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Brogdon).

I'm a fan of his but I don't think he's ever going to be that. He will be an efficient wing who can be a secondary ball handler, hit open shots, hopefully be a plus defender. A good version of that kind of player is a top 5 on every single Big 10 team.

I'm not saying he is going to be a super star but of all of our issues, Carrington's development is one of the small bright spots. He isn't going to be great this year and should be brought along slowly (so it will be frustrating), but he's nowhere near the problem.
Have you ever thought he gets so many rebounds due to the fact that we as a team have such a poor shooting %…thus there are a lot of REBS?

Another stat: as a potential guard he is averaging .4 assists per game. That’s almost an assist every two games. This leads me back to his not a ball handler and he doesn’t want the ball. If he did, he would attack / probe and hopefully find more than 1 assist a game (which is a huge increase from his current average).

Have you ever thought he gets so many rebounds due to the fact that we as a team have such a poor shooting %…thus there are a lot of REBS?

Another stat: as a potential guard he is averaging .4 assists per game. That’s almost an assist every two games. This leads me back to his not a ball handler and he doesn’t want the ball. If he did, he would attack / probe and hopefully find more than 1 assist a game (which is a huge increase from his current average).
11 games into his freshman year, coming off a 20 point game, 4 rebounds, 4-7 from 3, 6-6 free throws and you’re gonna give him the wet blanket shtick? OK…

11 games into his freshman year, coming off a 20 point game, 4 rebounds, 4-7 from 3, 6-6 free throws and you’re gonna give him the wet blanket shtick? OK…
Let’s both see how the first few big10 games go. I can reevaluate then. If he has proven me wrong, I’ll be the first to eat crow.

He will be well scouted and likely will struggle, and sometimes surprise, just like any number of freshmen guards in the league. This is not earth shattering data. I’m rooting for the kid, are you?

Top Bottom