Is Carrington another Kalscheur?

roadrunner

Reaction score
So, Braeden Carrington. Remembering him at Park Center, my impressions were that he was a smooth player with good defensive and rebounding and ball handling skills, a nice release, and leadership quality. Conversely, in big games against Totino he missed some clutch shots in a close loss, and in the championship game against Wayzata his scoring line was 3-12 FG, 0-2 3PT, and 0-1 FT for 6 pts.
What is this kid's ceiling?

So, Braeden Carrington. Remembering him at Park Center, my impressions were that he was a smooth player with good defensive and rebounding and ball handling skills, a nice release, and leadership quality. Conversely, in big games against Totino he missed some clutch shots in a close loss, and in the championship game against Wayzata his scoring line was 3-12 FG, 0-2 3PT, and 0-1 FT for 6 pts.
I have to admit I thought the same thing last night.

meh. Gabe came out of the gates much better i believe. give him some time.

But i was hoping he would be much better defensively at this point. Hes got a ways to go on that end. Lets hope his shots start to fall.

this offense isn't good at getting guys open shots, so as much as i would like to say i wish he didnt shoot as much, we just need him to take the open shots when we can get them

Posted this in another thread...The finding positivity thread...

"I want to know who votes on Mr Basketball. I watched him play @ Edina last year and you walk away think this guy is supposedly in the running for Mr Basketball…huh. He did nothing special in HS.

Park Center is a unique program that most likely hides many flaws of HS basketball players who go on to programs at the next level. They had and still have (this year’s team) such better athletes that they can just run and gun and out athlete you. They don’t have great skills, but they are bigger and faster than all the schools they will play. A team may have one or two good players to compete against park center, but they throw waves at you…

In this style of play, Carrington’s lack of ability was hidden…yet he put up decent numbers on a title team."

-Gabe was a better defender and was much quicker. Both have great forms and some of the prettiest bricks I have ever seen.

Gabe's downfall after his freshman year is one of the oddest things I've seen. He was such a great shooter and then all of a sudden it just disappeared. At least he showed an ability (as a freshman) to hit the shots. Carrington, while touted, has never hit the shots...yet.

To answer the question on his ceiling…I’ll assume he stays all four years…
- 7th or 8th player
- hopefully a 3 and D style player who can develop a 35% shooting percentage and the 1 to droves to the hoop per game
- will never be a primary ball handler in pressure situations

Last edited:

"I want to know who votes on Mr Basketball. I watched him play @ Edina last year and you walk away think this guy is supposedly in the running for Mr Basketball…huh. He did nothing special in HS.

Park Center is a unique program that most likely hides many flaws of HS basketball players who go on to programs at the next level. They had and still have (this year’s team) such better athletes that they can just run and gun and out athlete you. They don’t have great skills, but they are bigger and faster than all the schools they will play. A team may have one or two good players to compete against park center, but they throw waves at you…

In this style of play, Carrington’s lack of ability was hidden…yet he put up decent numbers on a title team."

-Gabe was a better defender and was much quicker. Both have great forms and some of the prettiest bricks I have ever seen.

Gabe's downfall after his freshman year is one of the oddest things I've seen. He was such a great shooter and then all of a sudden it just disappeared. At least he showed an ability (as a freshman) to hit the shots. Carrington, while touted, has never hit the shots...yet.

- 7th or 8th player
- hopefully a 3 and D style player who can develop a 35% shooting percentage and the 1 to droves to the hoop per game
I’m negative about him playing much as a freshman but your analysis is over the top negativity. To say Park Center players aren’t skilled is a bit much Bottom line he has to make shots If he doesn’t he is playing a level too high Way to early to make that call.

I’m negative about him playing much as a freshman but your analysis is over the top negativity. To say Park Center players aren’t skilled is a bit much Bottom line he has to make shots If he doesn’t he is playing a level too high Way to early to make that call.
They are skilled, but the system hides the flaws

Kalscheur is a key contributor on a ranked team in Iowa State, if Carrington is another one that's not a bad thing...
A player like Gabe is someone the program could really use right now. Someone with tons of experience, understands the game, plays his ass off, is a team player and can provide solid minutes as the young-uns gain experience. I would welcome his stats knowing what he brings.

See All
Stats

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

kalscheur......9 points per game, on 35% shooting, with 1 rebound per game and 2 assists per game.

For the love of gawd, please be better than this Carrington.
Really? Gabe would offer so much to this current squad. He's playing 26 mpg game on a 8-2 team and offers a steady D presence, experience, stability, plus 85% FT's. There is so much more to the game other than shooting 3's at a high level. If Carrington can provide what Gabe is doing, then we will be a much better team than what we have shown thus far.

kalscheur......9 points per game, on 35% shooting, with 1 rebound per game and 2 assists per game.

For the love of gawd, please be better than this Carrington.
It’s his defense, that’s about all he brings…but it’s pretty f’ing good defense and the team could use it. Offense would need to come elsewhere, but it would be nice to put him on the other teams best scoring guard (ideally a 2 or smaller 3) and not have to worry about it

Really? Gabe would offer so much to this current squad. He's playing 26 mpg game on a 8-2 team and offers a steady D presence, experience, stability, plus 85% FT's. There is so much more to the game other than shooting 3's at a high level. If Carrington can provide what Gabe is doing, then we will be a much better team than what we have shown thus far.
We wouldn't have been blown out like we are?

good grief, buddy! Gabe has been a monster disappointment in Ames.

It’s his defense, that’s about all he brings…but it’s pretty f’ing good defense and the team could use it. Offense would need to come elsewhere, but it would be nice to put him on the other teams best scoring guard (ideally a 2 or smaller 3) and not have to worry about it
Yep, and then we get blown out as we are currently. Big Whoop.

Please be better than Kalsheur, Carrington.

He shoots slightly more than 1 free throw per game. It’s such an insignificant portion of his teams free throws.

It’s like Samuels shooting 40% on 3s…on 1 attempt per game. It just isn’t that impactful.

Clearly Coach O shouldn'
We wouldn't have been blown out like we are?

good grief, buddy! Gabe has been a monster disappointment in Ames.
Coach O clearly sees no value in Gabe playing 28 mpg on a 8-2 team!

Anyone who understands basketball would understand that Gabe would bring a positive contribution to this team. Would they have a winning record? Likely not but this teams weakness's goes far beyond what one additional player would provide, other than a standout PG.

If Carrington turns into an all world defender like Gabe, who wouldn't want that. He could go 0-80 on the year and play 35 minutes a night for all I care if he ever impacts the game defensively like Gabe

I agree that freshman Harrington would be much better if he could perform like a 5th year senior.
He kind of already is. Carrington is scoring 7 points per game, and Gabe is scoring 9. Gabe is shooting 35%, Carington is shooting 28%. Carrington has 5 rebounds per game, Gabe has 2.

I'm just stunned that if Carrington could only be Gabe. I'm sorry, but I'm missing it.

He kind of already is. Carrington is scoring 7 points per game, and Gabe is scoring 9. Gabe is shooting 35%, Carington is shooting 28%. Carrington has 5 rebounds per game, Gabe has 2.

I'm just stunned that if Carrington could only be Gabe. I'm sorry, but I'm missing it.
Defense…not the offense. Gabe’s offense is like the napkin you get with you fast food order. It’s nice to have, but many times it’s not required…and doesn’t change the taste of the meal

Anyone who'd rather play Gabe on this team than Carrington ought to have their head examined.

You'd really rather play a 5th year senior and hope to squeak-out an extra win or 2...rather than develop a freshman?? Man...I think some of you need to stop watching the games. It's getting you too riled up.

Anyone who'd rather play Gabe on this team than Carrington ought to have their head examined.

You'd really rather play a 5th year senior and hope to squeak-out an extra win or 2...rather than develop a freshman?? Man...I think some of you need to stop watching the games. It's getting you too riled up.
In an ideal world Gabe would be here playing 25-30 a night, guarding the other team's best player. Carrington would be providing depth at about 15-20 a night, while preparing to start next year. That would be the ideal situation

I'd take that in a heartbeat. Carrington played well out in CA, but that's about it.

- 7th or 8th player
A 3&D style player who is a secondary ball handler will likely be a starter for us. I think that skillset is about what I think Carrington will be and I think that would be a tremendously helpful. If that kind of player is 7th or 8th in our rotation - we will be REALLY good.

In an ideal world Gabe would be here playing 25-30 a night, guarding the other team's best player. Carrington would be providing depth at about 15-20 a night, while preparing to start next year. That would be the ideal situation
In an ideal world, our starting lineup would be Carr, Mashburn, Battle, Garcia, & Robbins. With Gabe as our 6th-man.

But since our realistic best-bet now is to rebuild with freshmen & incoming recruits...I don't want senior transfers at the moment.

Thinking about that lineup I mentioned above ^^^ is pissing me off. Lol but seriously. That's why I want to find 4 very good players out of these last 2 recruiting classes. And THEN add a very good transfer.

We have to line it up right!!! 5 very good players all on the same team. Not coming & going.

In an ideal world, our starting lineup would be Carr, Mashburn, Battle, Garcia, & Robbins. With Gabe as our 6th-man.

But since our realistic best-bet now is to rebuild with freshmen & incoming recruits...I don't want senior transfers at the moment.
that line up would be awful defensively

I think the jury is out on this one yet. Gabe came in and was a hot shooting pleasant surprise but then his shooting regressed in subsequent years but still did a lot of other things very well. Carrington hasn’t had the hot shooting so far and hasn’t done many other things consistently at a high level yet but there is certainly a lot of room for improvement. If his shooting and defense improve year to year I’d say he has escaped being another Kalacheur. Not that Gabe was terrible for us it’s just offensively he was very limited in what he could do. I think Carrington can do well enough from 3 to keep defenses honest.

I’d prefer to win games . Players should earn playing time and that’s what good coaches preach.

Top Bottom