Is Brock coming back next year?

BuckBravo

Reaction score
Posters on Youngblood's blog are claiming Tramaine Brock won't be back next year. Just a rumor? NFL? Grades?

Posters on Youngblood's blog are claiming Tramaine Brock won't be back next year. Just a rumor? NFL? Grades?

Its not gonna be NFL. Underclassmen had to declair for the draft over a week ago and he wasn't on the list.

Edit: My friend who is on rivals said that noone over there has confirmed anything. The main rivals post is rumor from the origional post "gopher legend" posted on the Strib blog. Nothing has been confirmed nor has any reason been given if it is true..

I hope its not true, I actually thought he had a pretty good first year with us. Odd that the rumor was started on a strib blog randomly. Affraid to say there is prob some truth to it. How does Brock's name randomly come up if it wasnt.

He's not listed enrolled Spring 2009 at the University site...he's still Fall 2008. Other guys are Spring 2009....like Lawrence and BPT, etc.

He's not listed enrolled Spring 2009 at the University site...he's still Fall 2008. Other guys are Spring 2009....like Lawrence and BPT, etc.

If all the other players returning are listed I would have to assume he's done then. BUMMER:(

I'd be wary of trusting a random STRIB poster who usually posts highly negative comments. The subsequent comments look like the information is based upon a Rivals post, which according to gopherguy05 is based off of the original STRIB comment.

I'd be wary of trusting a random STRIB poster who usually posts highly negative comments. The subsequent comments look like the information is based upon a Rivals post, which according to gopherguy05 is based off of the original STRIB comment.

Recursive rumors. I love it.

You'd think it'd be obvious if dude's in class right now or not. If he isn't, probably somethin is up. If he is, case closed.

RUMOR has it that Brock is not even in the state anymore. Bad news for the Gophs.

Losing Brock Would Suck

But let's wait until we have a formal announcement before assume he's actually gone from the team.

Well, that sucks a lot. I thought he'd be a beast for us this year. Well I hope Royston's ready to go, cause I'm thinking he's gonna have that starting spot on lock come fall.

Definately not the end of the world. Royston will step right in and be an upgrade. Brock was a nice player, but he wasn't as good as advertised. He made a lot of mistakes last season. He was a solid tackler, but his coverage skills were very suspect.

At least they look like they got some quality depth to off set the loss. Best wishes for Brock.

Not sure why people are freaking out. He was good, but not a big difference maker. One name ----> Kim Royston. I would rather have the local boy in there anyways, and let Stoudamire (or another young guy) get some time in the passing packages.

First off I would like to thank the people at the hole for all the updates they give me throughout the year. I am a die hard gopher football, basketball (I have a chubby for Tubby), hockey, and wrestling fan and I appreciate all the insight this website gives me. Now to the topic at hand;

I am a college student and I can not believe students can't stay eligible. Let's be honest, if you put a little effort into school (turn your homework in on time and STUDY A LITTLE BIT FOR EXAMS etc.) you will do fine. How can kids continually not be eligible especially when they know they have to for football? Wouldn't that be enough incentive to try your best? It's frusterating to see so much talent being wasted because they don't care about school and anyone who disagree's with what I said is wrong.

Sorry if I am coming off as an a hole in my first post, I promise you I am not this is just something that really gets under my skin.

We don't know if he was just simply "struggling" in classes and failed. Plus, you gotta remember, sometimes people don't come from schools and upbringings that developed a culture of studying and learning. They did enough to get by because that was enough early in their school careers. Coming to the U, "just enough to get by" gets you burnt. It's easy for me to say "just try a little and you'll pass", but I've learned through others who didn't grow up in a household that promoted education, that it's not that easy for some.

Now I could be wrong and the guy is just lazy. I'm not criticizing you at all go4fan, just so you don't get the wrong impression. I'm simply saying, it's not always as simple and easy as a lot of us would like to think.

I only went to the U for on glorius year. I showed up for class the first two weeks and the tests only there after. I didn't do great but I think pulled a 2.6 despite not showing up for my finals in the spring.

So while it sounds like I'm trying to say college is easy, I'm going to say the opposite. It was easy for me. But I knew guys who studied their brains out and barely passed. What came easy for me was an absolute nightmare for others.

So while I agree with the premise that anyone could pass if the set their minds to it, I would disagree with the idea that a even a half assed effort is enough for anybody.

I remember tutoring a guy (at a different college) to just get him a passing grade. He worked his tail off. We got him through. side note, he's one of the most successful guys of the group I hung out with.

So let's be careful of painting these guys with such a broad brush. They all don't have a great academic background to fall back on to get them through. It's not all lazyness and an ungrateful attitude towards the opportunity given them. Though I'm sure that does happen as well.

well i guess the cooper dude will fill in for him.

First off I would like to thank the people at the hole for all the updates they give me throughout the year. I am a die hard gopher football, basketball (I have a chubby for Tubby), hockey, and wrestling fan and I appreciate all the insight this website gives me. Now to the topic at hand;

I am a college student and I can not believe students can't stay eligible. Let's be honest, if you put a little effort into school (turn your homework in on time and STUDY A LITTLE BIT FOR EXAMS etc.) you will do fine. How can kids continually not be eligible especially when they know they have to for football? Wouldn't that be enough incentive to try your best? It's frusterating to see so much talent being wasted because they don't care about school and anyone who disagree's with what I said is wrong.

Sorry if I am coming off as an a hole in my first post, I promise you I am not this is just something that really gets under my skin.

Some of these guys just have trouble learning. Football players all get tutors and one on one time and it still doesn't get through to some. I know its not the case for you, but just putting in a little work here and there doesn't cut it for these guys. I think in some cases, its guys just not doing the work at all. Other times, guys just cant make the grade...I am not sure which category Brock falls into.

Hopefully all these guys leaving school from Brew's first couple recruiting classes aren't primarily for academic reasons. If so, at some point the APR is going to kick in & become a bigger issue, with a loss of scholarships sure to follow considering the Gophers' recent history.

If its a slight downgrade at Brock's position, but we find an upgrade for Theret's, it's a push. I'll take that.

FYI all--Brock is no longer on the roster on gophersports.com

Go4fan--I think someone above me just posted that some people have difficulty learning. I know a lot of people who come from the southern part of the country that just haven't had the education we take for granted up north. I've had teammates who literally cannot write a complete sentence (yes, they were from Alabama, Las Vegas, Florida, etc.). It happens. Also, keep in mind, being a student-athlete is not as easy as it sounds. It is like having a full-time job. It's a lot for fun than having an actual job, but it takes just as much time.

I covered high school and college sports in Georgia for two years and I can confirm that what passes as a public education down there is unbelievably sad.

It's basically still segregated in many places, with most of the black kids stuck in the below-average public high schools. All the people who have a choice (mostly middle and upper-class whites) send their kids to lily-white private schools.

That's why the percentage of kids who qualified for DI out of public schools was so low (outside of Atlanta). Hence, you get a ton of kids in jucos, trying to do anything possible to qualify.

Top Bottom