Is anyone here going to the bowl game?

Honestly, I wish the B1G would contract again with the Sun Bowl. I've always wanted to go to that stadium.

And El Paso is one of the safest large cities in the US, despite what some would say.
El Paso for the Sun Bowl is a great time, especially if you love Tex-Mex food. It's not a sophisticated or cosmopolitan city, but the people take great pride in hosting the game and go the extra mile to be good hosts. Would definitely be interested in going back if the Gophers returned.

I think the boy and I are going to go. I'll know for sure in the morning. Contacted Creative Charters (it's obvious it's the same flight) It's a better deal than booking myself because it includes ground transportation. She's going to call me tomorrow to confirm.

Normally I hate any kind of organized tour/charter, but with the kid, it's just easier to not have to think about anything.

He really wants to go. Two years ago, he and I were supposed to go to the Northwestern game in Evanston. It was going to be a surprise. And he came down with covid the night before. So this is kind of a make up for that as well as a bucket list for me. Plus we didn't get to go to any games this year because he had football every Saturday.

Last edited:

It is a shame that the bowls elect to screw over the schools by forcing them to sell way overpriced tickets when they are easily found way cheaper on the secondary market.
The most absurd tickets were the G-Rated bowl two years ago.
He and I looked at every possible way to go to that but the whole deal would have been too expensive (and the weather wasn't great anyway). I'm so glad we didn't go considering how terrible it looked on TV.

Don't over think it. Go. If the funds are friendly, give him the memory. Something that can never be taken away. Regardless of record or opponent. Life is too short.
Yeah, unless we can't get on the flight, we're going. He turns 12 this week so it's his birthday gift.

Last edited:

I have two sons (adult) and we still do sports related road trips (Gophers, Twins, Vikings, Wild). We've created some great memories. Next up, we are considering a trip to Ann Arbor next year for the Gopher/Michigan game. My youngest son now lives in Michigan, so his brother and I (and a couple buddies) are excited to meet him there for the game.

I’m making the uncommon trip from St Pete to Detroit for Xmas as always, regardless of Gopher bowl status. Quick Lane Bowl is becoming a family institution with how often the Gophers are there on the 26th

I’ll be there and representing but am not being paid $30k to do so

Yeah, unless we can't get on the flight, we're going. He turns 12 this week so it's his birthday gift.
I've done a few sports-related road trips with my teenage son this past year (one with the whole family too). Great investment.

DarrenTheGreek took his family in 2018 and reported a good time. Of course that was a 6-6 season against GT. But it was Mo's breakout game and we got to see Big Dan do that pancake for the ages.

DarrenTheGreek took his family in 2018 and reported a good time. Of course that was a 6-6 season against GT. But it was Mo's breakout game and we got to see Big Dan do that pancake for the ages.
That pancake. 😍 I’m not sure any Lion has put on a better block on that field. I was there.

Gophers really rolled a 8-4 ACC team in that game and in hindsight was a sign of bigger things to come

Detroit is almost more desirable just because at least for the game itself, weather isn't a factor.
I love NYC - it's a great city - but I would have had no desire to sit outside to watch football in a ballpark in the winter - ick.
We did the Delta Club seats. It was awesome

It is a shame that the bowls elect to screw over the schools by forcing them to sell way overpriced tickets when they are easily found way cheaper on the secondary market.
Especially because for minor bowls like this, it's essentially TV product. I mean, yeah, I watched the Frisco bowl last night, but there were maybe 10,000 there? You're basically a studio audience.

Especially because for minor bowls like this, it's essentially TV product. I mean, yeah, I watched the Frisco bowl last night, but there were maybe 10,000 there? You're basically a studio audience.
I renew my call for a bowl game in MN.

I would go... but admittedly there's probably not that many locals who would go see just ... anyone.

Even some of the larger bowls have a hard time drawing crowds. Bowl games are very much a TV product. Gives ESPN lots of programming to run over the holiday season.

Anybody who goes to Detroit to watch 5-7 Minnesota play Bowling Green the day after Christmas deserves 400,000 Gopher points, or whatever they call them these days.
I think 400,000 points gets you a calendar!

El Paso??

Oh wait, I did see Sicario. Good flick. Very relevant for random tourists!
Amazing documentary!!

On point as always
😉

as far as a bowl game in the Twin Cities, I just don't know whether MN residents would show up for a random bowl game. I think the key would be what type of conference tie-ins were involved. if they could get a tie-in with the B1G or the Big-12, then I think there would be a better chance of getting some people to travel.

But you would still be fighting the "MN is too cold in the Winter" stereotype.

as far as a bowl game in the Twin Cities, I just don't know whether MN residents would show up for a random bowl game. I think the key would be what type of conference tie-ins were involved. if they could get a tie-in with the B1G or the Big-12, then I think there would be a better chance of getting some people to travel.

But you would still be fighting the "MN is too cold in the Winter" stereotype.
This year at least it would be the "warm cold" as to your typical Frostbite Falls...

With fees, two tickets to the game cost me $10.90. We might have to eat ramen for a few weeks to pay for this.

Apologies if you have posted elsewhere, but how was the trip and what was your kid's reaction?

-pours one out for all the Gopher fans killed in some alternate reality Detroit that people who have never been there imagine-

Apologies if you have posted elsewhere, but how was the trip and what was your kid's reaction?
We had so much fun. One of the best decisions I've made. Creative Charters does a really nice job. I would not hesitate to go on another one of their trips. We had a great time at the pre-game gathering and at the game itself. Downtown Detroit is pretty cool. I'd really like to go to a Tigers game at some point.

Top Bottom