Iowa's 3 wins are against Teams whose combined record is 0-9...

But don't forget the Gophers are the team that hasn't played anyone yet, and any success achieved so far won't translate against B1G level competition.

Minnesota is 4-0 vs teams with a combined record of 5-15. Not sure any of it suggests much. Certainly no quality wins in these records.

Minnesota is 4-0 vs teams with a combined record of 5-15. Not sure any of it suggests much. Certainly no quality wins in these records.

I disagree, ncgo. I thought SJSU was a quality opponenet, and I think we just stuffed them. We made them look like a non-quality opponent with our methodical, mechanical, grind 'em out running game. But, then again, I don't know anything.

Don't over look TOP. Fales only had about 20-minutes and I hate to think what he might have done with another 10. The running game was an effective offensive and defensive strategy that should serve us well in B1G play.

Go Gophers!

A top 5 team in the country put up 34 against SJSU at home... we put up 43...

SJSU was a quality opponent...

A top 5 team in the country put up 34 against SJSU at home... we put up 43...

SJSU was a quality opponent...

I agree, Thaill, that was a nice win that I was happy to see, particularly the first time that the offensive line moved anyone this year. That QB/WR core of SJSU was very nice, and made a bunch of very good plays that we haven't seen the likes of since Weber was tossing ducks in Decker's direction.

I'm not sure the game told us much. The Iowa game means everything at this point. Can the O-line move people again, this time bigger, faster, stronger, and better schemed?

Beat Iowa and a lot of people will shut the "f" up.

I don't think a win against Iowa will go too far in shutting people up. I think we need a big upset against one of the better teams in the conference. Winning a home game that we are favored in won't silence naysayers (though it will get me pretty excited).

But don't forget the Gophers are the team that hasn't played anyone yet, and any success achieved so far won't translate against B1G level competition.

Well, Sagarin has Iowa's schedule ranked 139...but the Gophers at 184. Sagarin has both Iowa State and NIU above SJSU in his power rankings. And NMSU and UNLV are ranked well below a lot of FCS teams, meaning the Gophers have basically played 1 modest FBS opponent and 3 solid FCS level opponents.

Well, Sagarin has Iowa's schedule ranked 139...but the Gophers at 184. Sagarin has both Iowa State and NIU above SJSU in his power rankings. And NMSU and UNLV are ranked well below a lot of FCS teams, meaning the Gophers have basically played 1 modest FBS opponent and 3 solid FCS level opponents.

Isn't the Sagarin rankings pretty worthless at this point of the season? Kinda like the RPI early in the basketball season.

Isn't the Sagarin rankings pretty worthless at this point of the season? Kinda like the RPI early in the basketball season.

By week 4 the teams are supposedly pretty well "connected." I suppose if the teams that either school played end up doing much better than statistically expected by the end of the year, then there could be a big change. But with most of the remaining opponents being the same once B1G play begins, I think we'll just see both ratings go up somewhat equally.

5-15 and that's with UNLV beating Western Illinois. If we take that game out (somebody has to win and lose), they're 4-14.

Wins by opponents:
UNLV--W. Illinois and Central Michigan
Western Illinois--Hampton and Quincy
San Jose State--Sacramento State

That said, I like the direction we're heading! We're not only winning the one's we're supposed to, we are doing it pretty convincingly.

Iowa scored 27 pts against Northern Illinois. FCS Eastern Illinois and conferenceless University of Idaho did better.

Not that it means anything, but as long as we're throwing things out there.

FWIW: on his radio show today, Sid said someone from San Jose State told him that -and I quote:

"The Gophers were better than Stanford."

Disclaimer - I'm sure Sid thinks he heard that, but that doesn't mean I necessarily believe it.

Our 4 opponents have already played 20 games through week 4? Admittedly I didn't check but that doesn't seem to add up.

one should note Iowa has played three home games and one game 138 miles from home. When anyone chides us about schedule and opponents they should point to Iowa. And maybe to Michigan, or Wisconsin, or Ohio State. Come on Man.

Now if you want strength of schedule go back and look a New Mexico State. Opener on the Road at Texas. Home to Minnesota, Home to UTEP, on the Road to UCLA. For there capability that is one heck of a schedule.

That would be like Ohio State going on the Road to play Alabama, home to face Oklahoma, home to Louisville , and on the Road to Oregon.

Interesting stat, yes, but doesn't matter. All it effects is their ranking.

By week 4 the teams are supposedly pretty well "connected." I suppose if the teams that either school played end up doing much better than statistically expected by the end of the year, then there could be a big change. But with most of the remaining opponents being the same once B1G play begins, I think we'll just see both ratings go up somewhat equally.

You should just be happy your team escaped their game with MAINE with a win, considering Maine out gained them in yards, had more first downs, and won the TOP. Not impressed with them so far. I'd be shocked if they went .500 in BT play this year.

FWIW: on his radio show today, Sid said someone from San Jose State told him that -and I quote:

Disclaimer - I'm sure Sid thinks he heard that, but that doesn't mean I necessarily believe it.

The way San Jose State (not to mention Cal )fans feel about Stanford, that is a completely believable statement!

4-0 feels nice, I'm happy with the non-conf results. We basically held serve with no close calls.

Would we have beaten North Carolina?

Our 4 opponents have already played 20 games through week 4? Admittedly I didn't check but that doesn't seem to add up.

It should be 5-10. I'm assuming he saw 5 wins out of 15 games and wrote it down wrong.

Highly doubt it. Our running game absolutely dominated the Spartans. The draw plays and misdirection worked flawlessly. We still haven't found a potent passing game. That will be the key now that we are entering the Big Ten season. Have to assume that Stanford has a much more balanced offensive game. I guess we will see soon enough.

Go Gophers. Great win on saturday!

SJSU is a solid team. Not going to be ranked this year but they very well could go the rest of the season now without a loss.

Stanford beat them by 21 , Gophers by 19. Not saying the Gophers are anywhere near as good as Stanford but we were able to put just about as good a game on SJSU as they were.

SJSU is what I'd call a "quality" win in that they are a legit team that went to and won a bowl game last year and probably have a better team this year.

So 5-6 against 'not Minnesota'. While they may be bottom feeders they are not the bottom of the bottom feeders.

Why should they count? Should losses against clearly superior opponents (UNLV vs. Arizona, NMST vs. Texas and UCLA, West ILL vs. lol UNLV, and San Jose vs. Stanford) be counted? Not to mention the games against the Gophers. These games show little about how a team will end up at the seasons finish.

SJSU is a solid team. Not going to be ranked this year but they very well could go the rest of the season now without a loss.

Stanford beat them by 21 , Gophers by 19. Not saying the Gophers are anywhere near as good as Stanford but we were able to put just about as good a game on SJSU as they were.

SJSU is what I'd call a "quality" win in that they are a legit team that went to and won a bowl game last year and probably have a better team this year.

This is not a better SJSU team than last year. They are solid and it was a nice win for the Gophers but SJSU caught lightning in a bottle last year and will take a definite step back this year. Their fans are already griping about the new coach and the changes he made to the system that was working great for them last year.

As for us and Iowa I think it is safe to say neither team really knows what to expect going into this weekend. Coming into the season both MN and IA were predicted to take up the last two spots in the Legends division and through the non-conf season not sure a lot has changed in that prediction.

We are 4-0, they are 3-1, both teams played pretty soft non-conf schedules....this game feels like a tossup between two squads that look pretty evenly matched on paper. Thank goodness the conference season is finally here!

Top Bottom