Iowa top instate recruit, 5 star recruit, Kadyn Proctor appears to be flipping to Alabama

I’m only talking about donors who promise XYZ, kid comes there, then they renege on the deal.

Not sure if legal/rules allow player to sign a legal/legit contract before enrolling at the school? So they enroll and sign scholarship … whoops, just kidding on that NIL deal we talked about. Had a change of heart.
Thank you for clarifying. Whether they organize or not, somehow enforceable rules need to be put in place. But even when the NCAA was stronger, it was very easy to break the rules and cheat.

Wasn't that the Jerry Kill model that we were so happy to move away from when we started getting guys like Bateman, Dunlap, Big Dan, etc?
You means guys like

Darius Taylor - Michigan, Iowa, wisconsin, Michigan State, Boston College, Cincinnati, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Missouri, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, Syracuse, Vanderbilt

Marquise Williams - Penn State, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Arkansas, Boston College, Cincinnati, Duke, Iowa, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

PJ is still getting some 4 stars and guys with impressive offers lists. PJ always calls this a developmental program so also getting players that may need to little more seasoning plus supplementing with transfers may be the way PJ operations in the portal/NIL era. Recruiting has changed dramatically since PJ started and rolling with the times.

Thank you for clarifying. Whether they organize or not, somehow enforceable rules need to be put in place. But even when the NCAA was stronger, it was very easy to break the rules and cheat.
Correct.

Old way: bag man comes to a recruit/family and says "if you sign with my school, I've got a bag with $150k in it waiting for you". You sign with that school. The bag never shows up. What are you going to do, sue him??

New way: booster comes to a recruit/family and says "if you sign with my school, I'll give you a NIL deal worth $150k". You sign with that school. Then the booster says "well, my business has had a bit of bad luck and I can no longer offer that deal, sorry!" What are you going to do, sue him??

And it's not against the law to lie. At least, not like this. I don't think? Certainly if nothing is in writing?

Regardless, I don't think (??) even right now with the wild west of NIL, that you're "allowed" to induce a recruit or a player in the transfer portal to sign with a school? You're only allowed to do NIL deals once they're at the school?

At least that bit of it, needs to get clamped down. Somehow

You means guys like

Darius Taylor - Michigan, Iowa, wisconsin, Michigan State, Boston College, Cincinnati, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Missouri, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, Syracuse, Vanderbilt

Marquise Williams - Penn State, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Arkansas, Boston College, Cincinnati, Duke, Iowa, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

PJ is still getting some 4 stars and guys with impressive offers lists. PJ always calls this a developmental program so also getting players that may need to little more seasoning plus supplementing with transfers may be the way PJ operations in the portal/NIL era. Recruiting has changed dramatically since PJ started and rolling with the times.
Who knows how many of those offers were "commitable". More "modern" recruiting BS (to me).

For those wondering he did sign with Alabama. He is Alabama's third highest ranked recruit in this #1 overall class.

You means guys like

No, I don't. The post I was responding to was referring to liking the recruiting of under-recruited guys. The players you just listed don't fit that bill.

Nice try at trying to rebuff me though, too bad it didn't work.

Lots of reports out there of Alabama, Georgia and others promising NIL money and not being able to deliver on those promises.
Like the "deliver" part of that. This whole NIL thing will fizzle to parody at some point.

Who knows how many of those offers were "commitable". More "modern" recruiting BS (to me).
I think most of it is legit. I mean Taylor had Michigan offer late in the game so if he’s good enough for there wouldn’t he be good enough for those other schools?

As much as I hate Iowa, this kind of non loyalty to the hometown/state kind of pisses me off. All the high ranked guys have to go to the power houses. Cant any of these kids think for themselves? Well I'm a 5 star so I cant play possibly turn down the SEC etc...

That sucks for Iowa...and in other news, the rich just keep on getting richer.

As much as I hate Iowa, this kind of non loyalty to the hometown/state kind of pisses me off. All the high ranked guys have to go to the power houses. Cant any of these kids think for themselves? Well I'm a 5 star so I cant play possibly turn down the SEC etc...
are they supposed to be staying local and playing for a middle of the road or worse team? Just curious as to what you think meets criteria. #69 staying home to play QB for KSU. #84 home at Nebraska. #90 at Ole Miss. 2 to Miami is a FL native, 3 a CA native to USC, 9 staying home in TX. I get what you're saying in that we have a paucity of high ranked recruits in the upper midwest, so it's rough when they leave the state to go elsewhere. But so do the majority of recruits going all over the country every year. CFB has become more national brands than it used to be (there's Oregon, Kansas, UNC, Duke gear all over every Scheels, for example) and so I think the era of regionality is long since dead.

I think the angst in Iowa is largely he seemed to be a loyal Hawkeye-wannabe, he was the #5 rated player in America (#1 lineman), and at the very last minute Saban and Alabama swooped ina nd grabbed him.

His HS shotput numbers are not impressive. Why even have this listed in the recruiting profile?

Per 247Sports: "
Also plays basketball and throws shot put.
Placed fifth as a junior at the Iowa State Track and Field Championships in May 2022 with a 52-10 shot put throw. Also posted throws of 48-10.5 and 46-7 during Spring 2022 outdoor season. Placed third at the Iowa Indoor Track and Field Championships with a 48-9 shot put in March 2022. Posted shot put numbers for 45-11 and 43-6 as a sophomore in Spring 2021."

Word is from my Hawkeyes buddies that he got $1 million in NIL to go to Alabama. They are all disappointed, but probably more tired of Ferentz than anything, especially with his poor in-state showing this year on the heels of their putrid offense the past couple of years. His son, the O coordinator might be the least popular guy in Iowa. On top of apparently being a terrible coach, he’s a dick.

How does Iowa High School football compare to Minnesota High School Football? I'm not bullish on skilled positions from the upper Midwest.
The top teams are as good or better. The depth isn’t as large. The 6th best team in Iowa and 6th best team in MN is probably pretty comparable in most years IMO

The 55th best team in Minnesota is probably better IMO

I don’t follow them a ton but know a tiny bit about it. This is pretty similar to the Dakota’s although in the dakotas the “top” of the Dakota’s is really like 4-5 schools.

In WI, it’s the opposite. I don’t think the best schools in WI are typically as good but the 40-70th best schools are better.

I’m no expert but that’s my take from the little I do know

It is human nature to look for the better choice or opportunity and move to take it.
Is there anyone who believes IA is a better program than AL?
The young man did what he and his family thought was the better choice.

His HS shotput numbers are not impressive. Why even have this listed in the recruiting profile?

Per 247Sports: "
Also plays basketball and throws shot put.
Placed fifth as a junior at the Iowa State Track and Field Championships in May 2022 with a 52-10 shot put throw. Also posted throws of 48-10.5 and 46-7 during Spring 2022 outdoor season. Placed third at the Iowa Indoor Track and Field Championships with a 48-9 shot put in March 2022. Posted shot put numbers for 45-11 and 43-6 as a sophomore in Spring 2021."
Yeah, no kidding! The 52-10 is not bad for a high school shot. Though 60+ to me is impressive.

It is human nature to look for the better choice or opportunity and move to take it.
It is no different than when the top-ranked Minnesota high school football player chooses to go elsewhere. Where it hurts is when they signed with a Big Ten rival school.

Here is where the top-rated MN HS player signed to play college football in the last ten recruiting classes:

2023 - Jaxon Howard, Edge, 6-4, 245 0.9464, LSU
2022 - Lucas Heyer, OT, 6-5, 307, 0.9010, Stanford
2021 - Riley Mahlman, OT, 6-7, 290, 0.9379, Wisconsin
2020 - Kaden Johnson, LB, 6-2, 235, 0.9261, Wisconsin
2019 - Quinn Carroll, OT, 6-6, 295, 0.9471, Notre Dame, Transferred to Minnesota
2018 - David Alston, LB, 6-4.5, 225, 0.8721 Nebraska, Transferred to Montana State
2017 - Blaise Andries, IOL, 6-6, 335, 0.8856, Minnesota, Miami Dolphins
2016 - Carter Coughlin, Edge, 6-4, 245, 0.9565, Minnesota, New York Giants
2015 - Jason Cornell, DL, 6-3, 265, 0.9562, Ohio State, Detroit Lions
2014 - JC Hassenauer, IOL, 602, 295, 0.9294, Alabama, Pittsburg Steelers

He could have done that three months ago. It was pure BS to pull out of your home state just a few days before signing day.

If I had a million dollars....I would go wherever they said too.

Kind of reminds me of Henderson whom the Gophers were recruiting. He kept coming to all the games, milking the system as much as possible and then said goodby. We were really never on his list.

It is no different than when the top-ranked Minnesota high school football player chooses to go elsewhere. Where it hurts is when they signed with a Big Ten rival school.

Here is where the top-rated MN HS player signed to play college football in the last ten recruiting classes:

2023 - Jaxon Howard, Edge, 6-4, 245 0.9464, LSU
2022 - Lucas Heyer, OT, 6-5, 307, 0.9010, Stanford
2021 - Riley Mahlman, OT, 6-7, 290, 0.9379, Wisconsin
2020 - Kaden Johnson, LB, 6-2, 235, 0.9261, Wisconsin
2019 - Quinn Carroll, OT, 6-6, 295, 0.9471, Notre Dame, Transferred to Minnesota
2018 - David Alston, LB, 6-4.5, 225, 0.8721 Nebraska, Transferred to Montana State
2017 - Blaise Andries, IOL, 6-6, 335, 0.8856, Minnesota, Miami Dolphins
2016 - Carter Coughlin, Edge, 6-4, 245, 0.9565, Minnesota, New York Giants
2015 - Jason Cornell, DL, 6-3, 265, 0.9562, Ohio State, Detroit Lions
2014 - JC Hassenauer, IOL, 602, 295, 0.9294, Alabama, Pittsburg Steelers
247's own rankings had the top MN player as:

2022 - Bixby 4*90
2018 - BSF 3*87

For some reason the 2019 and 2014-2017 won't load for any state.

He could have done that three months ago. It was pure BS to pull out of your home state just a few days before signing day.
I am sure when he reads your post that he reneges on the AL signing and beg Ferentz to take him back.

247's own rankings had the top MN player as:

2022 - Bixby 4*90
2018 - BSF 3*87

For some reason the 2019 and 2014-2017 won't load for any state.
I am only going by the composite numbers.

I am only going by the composite numbers.
I know, and I don't agree that that is a superior method.

How many agree that Hoyer was actually a better recruit than Bixby?

Alston over BSF is maybe an easier argument.

I know, and I don't agree that that is a superior method.

How many agree that Hoyer was actually a better recruit than Bixby?

Alston over BSF is maybe an easier argument.
Those ratings are potential ratings coming out of H.S. That is all I take it as. We don't know how a recruit will perform until he butts heads with the competition where everyone is just as strong and fast.

Not to denigrate the kid, but Steven Ortiz in the 2021 Recruiting Class was rated a four-star with a composite & 247 Sports rating of 0.9000. He never cracked the starting lineup and has since transferred.

I like how the Gophers rely on other intangibles and intelligence. But even then, they did not foresee this kid being passed by other lower-rated recruits.

I was lazy and did not want to open up every player's profile to put the comparative list. My bad.

I am sure when he reads your post that he reneges on the AL signing and beg Ferentz to take him back.
I don't give two shits who reads my posts, sir!

You do though, and that means the world to me.

I came across the recruits for NDSU this year, the majority of them are from Minnesota.

There is a lot to be said for PJ's apparent strategy of finding under-rated, potential diamonds in the rough, who really, really appreciate the Gopher offer and want to play here.
really? I thought he was hired to improve recruiting, not continue the efforts of the previous regime. we're not getting a whole lot of either diamond in the rough or significant upgrades in recruiting. We'll be within one or two slots of where we were under Kill/Claeys, firmly in the bottom half of Big Ten and Big Ten west team talent rankings.

Top Bottom