IOWA - TEXAS

figi

Reaction score
Iowa tied with Texas at the half 38 -38). Down by 14 Hawkeyes use the 3 to tie it up. Payne hits a 65+ footer to end the half.

Texas has some outstanding freshmen in Bradley and Hamilton. Doubt if Iowa can hang in there in the 2nd half. Still a great comeback to tie it.

I'm not sure if Texas slowed up or not as the half went on. Certainly, the Hawkeyes played extremely hard and really came after the Longhorns, even after they fell behind by 10+ early on.
The guys at ESPN seemed to feel that Texas took Iowa for granted and were sloppy in the final 10 minutes of the half.

Now that Texas has jumped out 61-46 in the second half, I suppose there is some validity to Texas just not playing all that well at the start. Have to give the Hawkeyes credit however. They came to play and certainly put a scare into the Longhorns in the first half.

The size of Texas's win depends almost entirely on how many minutes Pittman plays. When he's in the game, he completely dominates the Hawkeyes on both ends of the court. Iowa has no answer for him

The size of Texas's win depends almost entirely on how many minutes Pittman plays. When he's in the game, he completely dominates the Hawkeyes on both ends of the court. Iowa has no answer for him

Exactly. Pittman only had 4 pts. in the 1st half, but he dominated the 2nd half and Texas outscored Iowa 47 to 21 in the 2nd half. Once the Iowa 3's stopped faling they where done.

By the end, it was clear the Hawkeyes were simply exhausted. They played very hard, but just didn't match up and got dominated in the second half. Nevertheless, have to give Iowa props for keeping things close for awhile.

Talk about lowered expectations...

But that is the kind of game from Iowa I am hoping to see this season. 38 points in the first half? I was expecting them to get 38 points total for the game!

They Hawkeyes are going to be overmatched player for player in most/all of their conference games and don't have the depth to overcome that. I posted this before, but for me, I will be impressed with the job Coach Lickliter does if he can get the kind of effort they showed last night from his players game in and game out as the losses, many of them blowout losses, continue to mount. Some improvement in his "system" and in individual players would also be nice. :D

The Hawks only have one senior in Bawinkel - remember him, the guy who went well into February last year before he attempted his first 2 point shot? Had to look it up - he took 144 shots and 139 were 3s and did not attempt a free throw. That is nearly impossible, isn't it?

They have no height - as evidenced by Texas flexing its muscle once Coach Barnes realized Iowa had no answer for Pittman inside. The Longhorns blocked 10 shots last night - your Gophers will probably have 20 against Iowa; heck, D. Johnson will probably get 10 on his own!

I am intrigued by freshman Eric May and interested to see transfer Devon Archie (6'9" forward who hopefully has the ability to take the ball to the basket, something no other Hawkeye has shown - man, do they miss Jake Kelly this year!) once his shoulder heals.

Maybe they will catch someone napping and pull an upset. I can only hope, right?

Top Bottom