Iowa still hasn’t hired a new Offensive Coordinator

They'll just hire another defensive coordinator to not screw up the offense as bad as the old guy.
They could just not have an offensive coordinator and pay their defensive coordinator double? They could lead with their best offensive play, punting, on first down and just score with defense and special teams.

In all seriousness, he won't hire the best possible candidate (whoever that is). He wouldn't want to show up his son. He'll hire a vanilla, loyal, guy with a Hawkeye connection. Personal pride before the program.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Kirk leaves. A brief press conference where he will throw vague shade. Hawkeye Nation will have to settle for Bert.

I thought it was rumored Paul Chryst was taking over as OC at Iowa?
I spoke to my somewhat connected Iowa contact last week. He tells me that they are having some issues with the money. Brian was paid something like $800K last year. It's not that they couldn't afford Chryst (or a reasonable facsimile), but rather that there is some reluctance within the program to hiring a $1.5M to $2M OC and then feeling obligated to give a big raise to the DC who makes something in the neighborhood of $1.4M. If the new OC is making, say, $1.5M, then certainly Phil Parker should be making way more than that. They still haven't made Beth Goetz the permanent AD or hired somebody else and there is some hesitancy to increase the assistant salary pool by $1.5M or $2M (including scheduled raises for the rest of the staff). It's Iowa and it's the Big Ten, so it's not that they can't afford it if they want to do so, but it's been a sticking point.

Friz Banneret is an experienced OC and has been rumored to want the Iowa job.

I spoke to my somewhat connected Iowa contact last week. He tells me that they are having some issues with the money. Brian was paid something like $800K last year. It's not that they couldn't afford Chryst (or a reasonable facsimile), but rather that there is some reluctance within the program to hiring a $1.5M to $2M OC and then feeling obligated to give a big raise to the DC who makes something in the neighborhood of $1.4M. If the new OC is making, say, $1.5M, then certainly Phil Parker should be making way more than that. They still haven't made Beth Goetz the permanent AD or hired somebody else and there is some hesitancy to increase the assistant salary pool by $1.5M or $2M (including scheduled raises for the rest of the staff). It's Iowa and it's the Big Ten, so it's not that they can't afford it if they want to do so, but it's been a sticking point.
Phil is weird too because hasn't he said he doesn't want to go elsewhere?

So he kinda pigeonholed himself salary wise ... granted you pay a lot for the OC and ... Phil maybe wants to retires sooner because he rightfully could feel less good about his salary.

Let alone the whole issue of "Will the next OC get to call the offense his way?" ... and if not then why take a job as OC just to have Kirk tell you to RUTM on 3rd and long ... and sorta career suicide as OC.

Granted if it is a money question i wouldn't be surprised if the question is "how it is done" and less if. Kirk seems to be getting more prickly as time goes on.

Any chance Kirk just says "I'll handle the offensive play calling" if he can't find someone he likes?

Phil is weird too because hasn't he said he doesn't want to go elsewhere?

So he kinda pigeonholed himself salary wise ... granted you pay a lot for the OC and ... Phil maybe wants to retires sooner because he rightfully could feel less good about his salary.

Let alone the whole issue of "Will the next OC get to call the offense his way?" ... and if not then why take a job as OC just to have Kirk tell you to RUTM on 3rd and long ... and sorta career suicide as OC.

Granted if it is a money question i wouldn't be surprised if the question is "how it is done" and less if. Kirk seems to be getting more prickly as time goes on.
I think with Parker it's more of an equity thing than an actual dollar thing. It's easier to pay him less than what he could get on the open market if he's by far the highest paid assistant on the staff. If that isn't true anymore, they might feel the need to pay him more to be fair to him even if he isn't threatening to quit. Fair points about the position of being Kirk's OC. And why pay for a high level OC if they are going to have the same governor on the offense? They can get a $750,000 per year guy to do that.

They need the right fit, someone to bore the opposition to death.

1705368921772.png

To be honest I’m still not convinced Kirk Ferentz comes back.

Then again, if he goes 9-4 or better next year he is hall of fame eligible when he currently isn’t

Maybe Kirk is interviewing in San Diego and Dallas...

To be honest I’m still not convinced Kirk Ferentz comes back.

Then again, if he goes 9-4 or better next year he is hall of fame eligible when he currently isn’t
Felt like there was a good chance Ferentz would retire but seems like if he was going to he would have done it already. Would seem kind of odd to wait and retire after spring ball. But who knows.

Felt like there was a good chance Ferentz would retire but seems like if he was going to he would have done it already. Would seem kind of odd to wait and retire after spring ball. But who knows.
He will retire 1st. Going to another school doesn't mean hiring Kirk - it means hiring his snot-nosed kid. Who is going to touch that?

Would not having an OC hurt their offensive production? Looked like their OC last year did more harm than good.

Might have been 50/50 before and now he just doesn't want to deal with it for a bunch of reasons. Not saying that is the case but that is one reason it could happen.

If I was in Vegas I would bet he is coaching though.

Chryst was reported yesterday as staying with Texas. I imagine he was the #1 candidate for Iowa. It will be interesting to see who Ferentz gets that he can restrain from being too different from what he had.

Chryst was reported yesterday as staying with Texas. I imagine he was the #1 candidate for Iowa. It will be interesting to see who Ferentz gets that he can restrain from being too different from what he had.
I believe this is accurate. I think Iowa was thinking/hoping that Chryst was taking the job.

Top Bottom