Iowa start time?

You must be older than me.

Nothing better than a crisp morning game. And for the people complaining about needing more drinking time. If you can't get drunk by 11 AM you are doing it wrong.

I'm 32, so most of my fandom has been putting up with 11 AM kickoff crap. But that doesn't mean there is anything traditional about the morning kickoff. It's a relatively recent invention.

Of course it does. And when do teams that win more often play? During marquee times slots.

Indeed.

I just find the student section argument about time starts just as amusing as every small adjustment people suggest about ticket sales goes. Bunch of minor stuff that is kind irrelevant if we win... probably doesn't change anything if we lose.

Ugh... was really thinking at least this one would be a 2:30 kick off. As others have said, now EVERY saturday home game will be 11:00 AM??? That sucks. I don't mind it when the 11:00 AM kickoffs happen on occasion, even though I always prefer night or afternoon games. But when they (Saturday home games) are ALL 11:00 AM at home... it really sux. Bummer. I like one long tailgate instead of two shorter ones.

Awesome. Put me in the cool kid group that loves 11am kick-offs. Like it was meant to be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the notion that because a certain practice happened earlier than the current one, it is therefore better. Damn women shouldn't be voting, amirite?

A conversation about morning kickoffs for popular rivalry home games devolved into commentary about women's suffrage by page 3.

Thank god for the Internet!

I'm disappointed about the 11:00 AM kickoff. That's actually a better time for my life right now because it leaves the remainder of the day for family activities, but having a 2:30 kickoff on occasion is nice, especially for a rivalry game when the sky starts to darken in the closing stages and the intensity of the atmosphere gets enhanced, especially during a close game.

Until a few years ago, the 2:30 ABC game couldn't be opposed by any other Big Ten game and virtually all of the conference played at 11:00. That was when we'd get several games at once on BTN with multiple overflow channels. The end of ABC exclusivity in the late afternoon spot was supposed to alleviate 11:00 kickoffs and has somewhat, but not to the extent that anyone around here is largely satisfied.

As was noted, to get 2:30 and prime time conference kickoffs, we need to play our way in. We had a good 2014 and it paid off with night games and late afternoon kickoffs in 2015. The 2015 season was a let down and now we are paying for it with our 2016 schedule. The thing that would help us towards later kickoffs, apart from winning, would be the Big Ten agreeing to flex prime time games instead of setting them up before the season, as all the other FBS conferences do. However that is not on the horizon.

Hearing tonight that Matt VandeBerg broke his foot today in practice. Needless to say, not good news for the Hawkeyes. Ferentz update Tues. (via a tweet from Tom Dienhart)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the notion that because a certain practice happened earlier than the current one, it is therefore better. Damn women shouldn't be voting, amirite?

Trump's going to fix that one. Stupid sufferage movement.

Why does everyone hate the 11 am slot? That's when college football is supposed to be played.

fully agree. Imma guess many of these posters loved the 6:30 friday night games. woohooo. friday night.

Yes I wonder had Iowa not lost to UND, would it have altered this start time? I was hoping for a night game.

Yes I wonder had Iowa not lost to UND, would it have altered this start time? I was hoping for a night game.

Good question. I was under the assumption that all night games had to be scheduled before the season started, but they just made Meatchicken and Buttgers a night game, and that one was no on the original schedule as a night game.

Agreed.

Personally I love it. Great time of day, still can do stuff later.

I'm with you guys too. I actually don't mind either. Can't believe we have another thread on start times and that it's up to 4 pages...

Good question. I was under the assumption that all night games had to be scheduled before the season started, but they just made Meatchicken and Buttgers a night game, and that one was no on the original schedule as a night game.

Michigan at Rutgers was announced as a prime time game at either 6:00 on ESPN or ESPN2, or 7:00 on ABC way back in May. Although the precise network and kickoff time are still being determined, the game was long set for prime time. The Big Ten does not flex games to the evening. All night games are set ahead of the season.

Michigan at Rutgers was announced as a prime time game at either 6:00 on ESPN or ESPN2, or 7:00 on ABC way back in May. Although the precise network and kickoff time are still being determined, the game was long set for prime time. The Big Ten does not flex games to the evening. All night games are set ahead of the season.

I thought that was the case, but when I looked at the schedule on BTN.com yesterday, it still showed it as a TBA. Maybe because it was never going to be a BTN game, they didn't bother to update their website. Actually, that's probably the case, as it is still TBA now.

http://bigtennetwork.stats.com/cfb/scoreboard.asp?week=07&conf=004

As an older guy (61), I also remember when the vast majority of College FB games kicked off at 1:00pm. (I went to Augsburg, and almost all of our conference games were 1:00pm- although we did used to play a non-conference night game against UW-River Falls.)

Some of the marquee games would be played later in the afternoon - I seem to remember Texas-Oklahoma being a later afternoon kickoff, or games on the West Coast starting later, but most games started at 1:00pm. Of course, in those days, there would be one or two games televised for the entire weekend. That was why New Year's Day was so special, because you got FB games all day. What a concept. I used to get up on Sunday mornings and watch the syndicated Notre Dame highlights show - similar to today's BTN in 60 show - where they would condense the previous week's Notre Dame game into an hour and show the highlights. "Let's move ahead further in the action......"

From a personal viewpoint, I like the 2:30 kickoffs, because I work every Saturday morning, and I can't always get out of work by 11:00.

Top Bottom