Iowa Sections

Reaction score
I hate to admit liking the color coordination by the Iowa sections, I only hope that one day our fan base will be able to pull off something like that. But we can't even manage one color so I won't be holding my breathe.

Don't fret about the recognition of the Hawks here. It's been noted for several seasons now on how well they do the "black/yellow-out" for night games.

If you go to the UI Athletic Department site, they give specific instructions by section as to whether to be black or yellow. I'm not going to bother to come up with the link.

That said, yes, they do this well and it looks as good as any college team's fans in the nation.

Yuck.

Go Gophers!

I think I saw Illinois today with alternating colored sections.
Get some enthusiasm going and people will jump on board.

Every school in America can pull this kind of thing off... but not the U.

Yup...looks great. I believe Iowa puts it right on the ticket (IIRC), and it's planned well before the season starts (obviously before the tickets are printed).

It's not completely new. Soccer (football) teams have been doing it outside the US for years, but here are some examples:

From Iowa's website
blackandgoldspirit1.jpg

Boise
DYSKRZXQSIAPKKZ.20100913195353.jpg

Really great one from Arkansas
Red%20White%20and%20Blue%20Out%20Aerial%20Photo.jpg

the U can pull it off. it just doesn't take the time or effort to do it. i.e. printing instructions for which color you must wear on all tickets before they go out. actually marketing it on radio, in print, on t.v., etc. the other thing i would venture a lot of these stadiums/teams do is keep the color scheme the exact same time after time and actually give a free t-shirt away that is the corresponding color on the day of the game. have people handing them out by section as you go to sit down. you get your correctly colored t-shirt for free and then for future color-out events you already have your correct color t-shirt on-hand and always comply by wearing it.

the overwhelming majority of gopher fans would participate and comply if the U of M truly made a concerted effort demanding that they do so. not announcing a gold-out game a few weeks before the game and hoping people follow along.

and being somewhat lazy in the approach and just doing a single color type of event (i.e. a gold out) throughout the entire stadium makes it easier in people's minds for them to be uncooperative d-bags and just not comply because it is easier to kind of get lost in the crowd of the whole stadium if you didn't cooperate. if you do color by section, a fan who doesn't comply is much more obvious in that "smaller" section/group of people and now has to rightfully take the flak and disdain from their fellow gopher fans in that section for not wearing maroon when they were supposed to. or not wearing gold when they were supposed to.

the U of M needs to do their color events by section and make a real effort to actually market it and make it easy for people to comply (i.e. hand out a free t-shirt once or twice a year (maroon one and then a gold one) and then do the color-out schemes and timing of them on a consistent and routine basis each season so it becomes the norm, commonplace and expected by returning fans and ticket holders.

It would be really cool (and really easy) to spellout MINNESOTA in the upper level. Just wear the color of your seat. They could print it on the ticket if you don't know. It'd also be easy to start via grassroots. Pass out little flyers at the beginning of the season to everyone in your row/section. Eventually the season ticket holders will catch on, then everyone will catch on. It would look awesome.

That card stunt was amazing, I don't see how anyone can rip it on here (outside of envy and jealousy). Really cool stuff.

We tried something like this a few years ago at the popcorn skunk game. As soon as it ended (it looked horrible) all the students balled up the cards and threw them at popcorn skunk fans. It was beautiful.

Top Bottom