Iowa o-line issues

swingman

Reaction score
From the Des Moines Register:

Unquestionably the biggest flaw on Iowa's offense was the offensive line, which allowed six sacks and 11 tackles for loss on Saturday. Ferentz said in the postgame that he was "kind of disappointed" with the play up front. It was a clear step back after two games of progress. It was a particularly rough day for right tackle Jack Plumb and guard Connor Colby, who was subbed out for Nick DeJong and Beau Stephens at a point. The problems on the line were compounded by Stephens and Plumb leaving the game with injuries. "I think Jack is OK. I think he is," Ferentz said. "And Stephens, he came out and couldn't go back in, so we'll see. We'll know Tuesday probably."

Saw a tweet that they could lose the #1 OT in the class to Oregon. That would be a blow if they lose an in-state 5* this late in the recruiting cycle.

Iowa's OL vs Minnesota's pass rush is definitely weakness on weakness.
This is true, but I'd argue Minnesota's pass rush is trending up which is great. Jah Joyner is generating consistent pressure (and did so against a projected top 20 draft pick last week), Carter finally got a little push up the middle last week, Rush returned to relevancy, and Rossi sent multiple blitzes out of the slot and weakside DB. I'm actually pretty optimistic about what they might be able to do against the statuesque Petras. Although you're 100% right the pass rush has been very disappointing on the whole this year.

Iowa's OL vs Minnesota's pass rush is definitely weakness on weakness.
Bitches like to bitch. Our defense unless u have never been to a live game this year has been alot of fun to watch. They compete with an incredible amount of passion and win. Unless ur going to put layers of clothes on this weekend and feel the weather the players play in STFU

I rewatched the badger ia game and the badgers swarmed that qb. I am no longer certain we can win either of the last 2 games.

I rewatched the badger ia game and the badgers swarmed that qb. I am no longer certain we can win either of the last 2 games.
Hell no, that is why we watch and support the team. Not knowing the end of the movie is what makes it exciting. But the excitement of winning brings us to the table.

The Badgers play a 3-4 which allows them to attack with LBs from most any spot. The young Iowa OL did a poor job up front of communicating, to say the least. Wiscy had 10 TFLs and 6 sacks.

Iowa's only saving grace was that the O performed exceptionally well in the Red Zone (2-2, 2 TDs) with a short field handed to them by Special Teams (Punt Block, Punt Return of 41 yards). TD drives were 17 and 18 yards, respectively.

UM plays a 4-3 Under (NG shades to TE side), exact same base D as Iowa's.

The Badgers play a 3-4 which allows them to attack with LBs from most any spot. The young Iowa OL did a poor job up front of communicating, to say the least. Wiscy had 10 TFLs and 6 sacks.

Iowa's only saving grace was that the O performed exceptionally well in the Red Zone (2-2, 2 TDs) with a short field handed to them by Special Teams (Punt Block, Punt Return of 41 yards). TD drives were 17 and 18 yards, respectively.

UM plays a 4-3 Under (NG shades to TE side), exact same base D as Iowa's.
UW's defense traditionally gives Iowa fits. And it did again Saturday. Concerning part was the couple of sacks they had when rushing just 3. Just Iowa guys getting beat really badly. No confusion on those plays, just linemen not blocking well.

They did have 2 weeks of improvement against Purdue and Northwestern prior to that, but step up in competition against the Badgers. Gophers' front is also stout. Maybe no rushers the caliber of Herbig, but still a challenge. Whichever team can get a modicum of production from its offense will win on Saturday.

So the fact that Iowa's QB was under constant duress against a defense that grades out similarly to Minnesota's gives you no confidence that Minnesota can beat Iowa?

Look, I think this game is a coin flip against a team that's traditionally given MN fits, but playing at home, probably with a QB that's provided a nice spark the past couple weeks, against a historically bad offense, and with a defense that ranks in the top 10 nationally in many categories should give even the most pessimisstic fan some hope. Minnesota can absolutely win this game. I actually expect they will. Undoubtedly close and low scoring with many pepto moments, but have some faith here people.

Bitches like to bitch. Our defense unless u have never been to a live game this year has been alot of fun to watch. They compete with an incredible amount of passion and win. Unless ur going to put layers of clothes on this weekend and feel the weather the players play in STFU

You're such an elite fan!

My apologies. I should have said ur such an elite fan!

Hell no, that is why we watch and support the team. Not knowing the end of the movie is what makes it exciting. But the excitement of winning brings us to the table.
Your screen name reminds me of what Dan Campbell said this summer on Hard Knocks:

I don't care if you have one ass cheek and three toes

So the fact that Iowa's QB was under constant duress against a defense that grades out similarly to Minnesota's gives you no confidence that Minnesota can beat Iowa?

Look, I think this game is a coin flip against a team that's traditionally given MN fits, but playing at home, probably with a QB that's provided a nice spark the past couple weeks, against a historically bad offense, and with a defense that ranks in the top 10 nationally in many categories should give even the most pessimisstic fan some hope. Minnesota can absolutely win this game. I actually expect they will. Undoubtedly close and low scoring with many pepto moments, but have some faith here people.
Not sure there is much that can give our most pessimistic fans hope. Some have already decided we have no shot against this Iowa defense and clearly that also means we won't be able to stop them when they have the ball.

When Iowa was on defense, it really made me nervous for this game, until I saw them on offense. Same for the Badgers.

When Iowa was on defense, it really made me nervous for this game, until I saw them on offense. Same for the Badgers.
Right, but we can't win the game 0-0.

And given enough time, their defense/special teams will find a way to score more than zero points.

Top Bottom