Iowa Lodging Recommendations

Reaction score
We are making the trip down to Iowa City on 11/13, and are starting to look into lodging options. Any tips? Looks like Cedar Rapids might be the best/more affordable option?

Go Gophers!

Give AirBNB a look. Might be interesting. Coralville is close...still have to park somewhere near campus. Locals go to the golf course to park and party. Good luck.

I've stayed at the Urbana Inn and Suites both times I've been to Iowa. It's 20 minutes north of Cedar Rapids, so ~50 minutes from Iowa City. It checked all my boxes of having a good bed and it didn't smell. But as of looking now you can get something similarly priced in Cedar Rapids.

I'd recommend parking on Koser Ave. Specifically 507 Koser Ave, the guy rents his backyard for parking and tailgating. Carlson grad, I had his business card but I can't find his website or it anymore. Regardless, parking by the elementary school is the play if your able bodied and want to drink beer walking to the stadium. Otherwise the golf course is a fine place too but it's also a jaunt.

We are making the trip down to Iowa City on 11/13, and are starting to look into lodging options. Any tips? Looks like Cedar Rapids might be the best/more affordable option?

Go Gophers!
Cedar Rapids is the best option at present. The DoubleTree offers plenty of options within walking distance. Don’t stay in Urbana.

You could also look at Amana area and West Branch area is you need to stay farther out. Both have some options.

Iowa sucks. Kinnick sucks. Parking sucks. Their tailgate fried Rocky Mountain oysters suck. Don't do it.

Agreed. Go down in the morning, tailgate your buns off, sober up during the game while praying for a Gopher win, then get the hell out of there afterward.

When we would make the trip, we'd leave at 3am, drive down for the game, then leave immediately after.
No point staying in Iowa longer than one must..

Iowa game is our favorite road trip. We usually stay in CR and have done the Amana area once. We park at Finkbine GC which is us an easy 20-30 minute walk east to Kinnick. For some reason it was closed in 2019. Fans along the way are always entertaining and, unlike Madison, the Iowa fans have been cordial. But we haven't won there since when, ..... 1999?

The train to Kinnick is another option but get on board early. Never done it but will someday.

Watch your speed on 380 in CR as they use camera's and other tech to catch speeders. Thirty days later you will get a speeding ticket in the mail. We like to stop at the Cedar Ridge Distillary just south of CR. Good bourbon and they have some food.

Train no longer in operation per Iowa Athletic website. Also, 380/80 intersection/exits construction is causing exits before the interchange to be used so you have to get off 80 early in either direction; traffic will be a mess coming down from Cedar Rapids.

Staying in Williamsburg is an option. Kind of a hike to Iowa city but Amana Colonies are a great place to visit...and eat (family style if they're still doing that during COVID). Plan a lot of time for traffic which is horrible on game day.

We have never had a problem with traffic from CR as we take 380/218 and exit on Melrose and east to Finkbine. Google maps or Siri will find an alternative to avoid the mentioned detours and construction areas.

If I80/380 interchange is a problem just take a Cty Road west of there (Swisher) and go south to F46 then east to Melrose. Or take 151 from CR and come into IC from the west on Melrose. Plan ahead.

We always stayed in Coralville. The train is pretty close to there and a lot of MN fans there too...

Iowa game is our favorite road trip. We usually stay in CR and have done the Amana area once. We park at Finkbine GC which is us an easy 20-30 minute walk east to Kinnick. For some reason it was closed in 2019. Fans along the way are always entertaining and, unlike Madison, the Iowa fans have been cordial. But we haven't won there since when, ..... 1999?

The train to Kinnick is another option but get on board early. Never done it but will someday.

Watch your speed on 380 in CR as they use camera's and other tech to catch speeders. Thirty days later you will get a speeding ticket in the mail. We like to stop at the Cedar Ridge Distillary just south of CR. Good bourbon and they have some food.
Of course the fans are nice. We start winning again in IC and that might change.

I've heard hotels in downtown IC require a two night minimum.

Hotel Blackhawk in Davenport is nice. Rest of Iowa, can’t say

Hawkeye Express from behind Comfort Suites is no longer in operation, so don't plan on train ride to Kinnick.

GHers going to game. Go to Hawkeyesports.com/footballparking/ and keep scrolling down until you reach the detailed "alternative route" descriptions. There are several screen shots of the construction messes in and around 80/380 with specific routing recommendations for the public..

Top Bottom