Iowa Game

This post basicallly echoes exactly what I was saying on the first page: Iowa's not deep, but Fran likes to pretend they are. Deep is when you have more good players than you can play at once. Bad coaching is when you play bad players instead of good ones.

Anthony Clemmons, whom you reference, is a great example. Yes, he plays almost 20 mpg. But he also shoots 38% and turns it over a lot, while not getting many assists. If that's depth, I'll take shallow.

Aaron White is 21st in the league in minutes percentage. That's criminal when you consider his ORtg is 30 pts higher than Oglesby. Peter Jok is in the top 500 in the nation in exactly 0 categories, but he's playing nearly 50% of available minutes and using 20% of available possessions. Gabe Olaseni is markedly better than Adam Woodbury most categories but Woodbuy plays more than Olaseni does.

Fran has no idea how to use his players and it's a benefit to the rest of the league. He clearly read a magazine article once lauding a deep team and thought he should mimic that. Thad Matta plays 6 or 7 guys every year and has multiple Big Ten championships and Final Fours.

The best news is that Fran has completely squandered Aaron White, who is likely to be the best player Iowa has at anytime between 2010 and 2018.

1) McCaffery has done an excellent job in making Iowa competitive again given what Lickliter did to the program.
2) Iowa has won 3 of 4 against Thad Matta's Buckeyes.
3) Aaron White is one of the top scorers in the history of Iowa Basketball (Oh, how he has been squandered).
4) Peter Jok played well against Michigan and Maryland. He is only a sophomore.
5) Clemmons is on the court for his defense, it is known that he is not a major scoring threat.

Fran's Hawkeyes have been victorious @UNC, @Ohio State, @Minnesota, @Michigan, Ohio State and Maryland this season.

Does King Richard have any wins that compare? Georgia, Purdue?

I think Fran is doing just fine.

1) McCaffery has done an excellent job in making Iowa competitive again given what Lickliter did to the program.
3) Aaron White is one of the top scorers in the history of Iowa Basketball (Oh, how he has been squandered).
5) Clemmons is on the court for his defense, it is known that he is not a major scoring threat.

Fran's Hawkeyes have been victorious @UNC, @Ohio State, @Minnesota, @Michigan, Ohio State and Maryland this season.

1) OK super. That doesn't mean he's not mismanaging this team.
2) Do you think Fran would trade all 3 of those wins for a couple of tourney wins last year? Head-to-head isn't the end all and be all. Tubby once beat Bo Ryan 3 times in a row. Who's coaching at Texas Tech now?
3) squander, verb: waste (something, especially money or time) in a reckless and foolish manner; allow (an opportunity) to pass or be lost. You made my point for me. Aaron White is a very good player who has never won a tournament game (some would argue he hasn't even BEEN in a real tournament game) or finished higher than 6th in the Big 10. They're in 6th right now.
4) You'll notice I include him in the list of players I think should be played regularly.
5) Ditto. But I'd also note that Clemmons steal rate is lower than Jok, Gessell, Uthoff, and White. His Fouls Committed per 40 is higher than Gessell, Uthoff, and White. Defense is hard to capture statistically, but the stats don't point to him being an above average defender. Regardless, he has to play because Iowa's guards aren't good.

At no point in your post do you even attempt to argue that Iowa is deep. You don't even mention Oglesby (hated by most Iowa fans) and Uhl in your post.

I'd also note that Iowa fans think that Woodbury accidentally throws his fingers into guys' eyes, and they do so based on the argument that he's completely uncoordinated. So good job playing him lots of minutes, Fran, according to Iowa logic.

Lol, I didn't include Oglesby or Uhl in my six regulars who are decent-usage guys.

Oglesby is capable. Uhl doesn't launch, but I'd agree too much. But Uhl (who the Gophers looked at) isn't a guy that I include in their depth

Sorry, but Iowa is a relatively deep team. Lots of possibilities for Fran w/o a big drop off. Deep.

Gophers as an example don't have that. After guy #7 they're in trouble & EE is one of the 7 but doesn't get used enough.

Interesting that zero of the 27 writers who took part in the B1G preseason media poll has Iowa in the top 3. LNH had them at 3. Could certainly finish there with an "easy" sked the rest of the way.

It will be a miracle if we win at Iowa City.

I don't know about miracle, but I would have bet against us winning any of our remaining road games this year.

Iowa is basically the same as we are, and so are Purdue and Illinois. Going 3-2 against that bunch is about par. What we will rue come selection time are the losses to Nebraska, Penn State and Michigan.

Fran for Coach of the Year.

Top Bottom