Iowa football: Are the Gophers actually a legitimate B1G West contender?

My boss and one of my co-workers are avid Nebraska fans. every week I hear the same thing - Gophers haven't played anybody yet. Followed quickly by both of them stating that "Nebraska is the best team the Gophers have played this year."

It's like if you give another team any credit, it gets taken away from "your" team.

That's when you hop in and start talking about how Nebraska truly IS a nobody now. What happened!? And how if it weren't for Illinois's massive win over Wisconsin....which makes even a bad season at least somewhat memorable....nobody would even be talking about any of our opponents. It's like we've been playing a bunch of limp dicks that play home games in front of 90,000 people.

I love this article. I want every single opponent to see us as inferior. Don't worry about us, you have a bigger game next week. I absolutely love being overlooked.

Its not too fanciful to see the Gophers finishing 10-2------> with wins vs. Maryland and Northwestern and 1 win of the 3 matchups vs. Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin. 10-2 won't do it, however, unless the 1 win vs 3 toughies is vs. Wisconsin. If they do win the West, I don't see them beating OSU.

As to strength of schedule so far, its not great, but its not awful either. Several above avg. FBS teams have been beaten by, or barely escaped FCS opponents this year. And the Jackrabbits were rated no. 3 in the FCS. Fresno State, too, is no picnic, especially on the road. We'll know a lot more after the next couple of games.

Last edited:

Top Bottom