Iowa Fans

A better choice would be to ignore him. Brewster is a clown to our rivals. He will continue to get pounded until he starts winning some games. His horrible record relative to his big talk makes him an easy target even for those of limited creativity.

How many games will he have to win before you quit pounding him, Rotundo? I'm just guessing but it is probably more than what would satisfy 'Black Heart, wet Pants' and the other rival websites.

A better choice would be to ignore him. Brewster is a clown to our rivals. He will continue to get pounded until he starts winning some games. His horrible record relative to his big talk makes him an easy target even for those of limited creativity.

and you are clown to most here on gopherhole. so, i guess everything has a way of being equal in the end doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Calm down! How many will he have to win before he ceases to be a clown? Far more than 15% of his games vs BCS teams (he is 3-14) which is about what he has done. Reality is that if you come in talking rose bowl and proceed to lose almost all your games you are a clown. He can change that this year. He has the tools needed to change things. Will he?

I don't know anything about Rotundo's previous posts, but in this case I basically agree with what he said. I'm a supporter of Brewster at this point, but his record is his record and, after two seasons, his record doesn't match his rhetoric. While I'm OK with that for now (two seasons is a short time) and am optimistic about his future as our coach and our program as a whole, I can see how our rival fans would jump all over him.

Rotundo...

...while I agree with your statement/implication that a coach's success is ultimately based on win-loss record (particularly in B10/11 play), your earlier comment about Brewster's Rose Bowl comment needs to be addressed.

What do you expect a new coach to say when he comes in? That winning a couple more games a year in the B10/11 is good enough? I don't want that in my coach. I want a coach who has a vision for the future, not just a couple more wins a year. I want someone who yearns for something greater - the Rose Bowl; a National Championship - and has a plan to make it happen. Don't you want that in your coach??

You do remember that the Gophers haven't been to the RB since Jan. 1, 1962 and haven't won/shared the B10/11 title since, what, 1967, yes? You do remember the apathy towards Gopher football (dare I say since the Vikings became the darling of the TC media?), yes? Props to Glen Mason for getting the program to be relevant again. However, relevant isn't good enough anymore. B10/11 titles and National Championships are the goal. So what is wrong with telling your fan base (and your opponents) that the goal at Minnesota is no longer 'being relevant' or just being 'good enough - it's now Rose Bowl?? How do you expect big time recruits to consider much less come to Minnesota to play if we don't have big time goals and aspirations?

Brewster did not say it would happen overnight. He needs time to get his players in place and he's only had two recruiting classes to do so - and NO, I do not and will not count the Feb 2007 class as Brewster's - that was Mason's class, as Brewster only had c. 3 weeks after being hired to (1) keep Mason's recruits and (2) try to convince some big time recruits from MN to stay home. He campaigned for an upgraded schedule to put Minnesota back on the national scene and make Gopher football "relevant" again. There are risks to this strategy. While we may have more talent and have more depth, our schedule this year is much harder than last year. Will we be an improved team? Unquestionably. Will that improvement lead to more Ws this year? That's the goal, but games aren't played on an Internet board, they're played on the gridiron.

Ultimately, Coach Brew will need to "walk the talk" and back-up that talk - on that you and I agree. That said, he has (in my view) two more years to prove himself. He's done a great job of improving the talent level and in infusing the football program with confidence and enthusiasm. He's made mistakes - I do to, as I'm sure you do as well. The key is to learn from those mistakes and not repeat them, for those who fail to remember are doomed to repeat them.

Iowa fans have massive Napoleons syndrome, these people have nothing else to pay attention to in Iowa. Its actually kind of sad and pathetic. The most disgusting fan base in the BT, and possibly pushing for a top spot nationwide.

You have to admit - that thread is pretty funny

But at the same time you have to remember Brewster is the only thing Iowa fans can rip on right now. While Brewster's record ain't nothing to be proud of (yet), there is hope.

You also have to remember 55-0. Not only is that the score the Gophers lost by last November, it's also the number of arrests Ferentz's boys have in relation to Brewster's.

...while I agree with your statement/implication that a coach's success is ultimately based on win-loss record (particularly in B10/11 play), your earlier comment about Brewster's Rose Bowl comment needs to be addressed.

What do you expect a new coach to say when he comes in? That winning a couple more games a year in the B10/11 is good enough? I don't want that in my coach. I want a coach who has a vision for the future, not just a couple more wins a year. I want someone who yearns for something greater - the Rose Bowl; a National Championship - and has a plan to make it happen. Don't you want that in your coach??

You do remember that the Gophers haven't been to the RB since Jan. 1, 1962 and haven't won/shared the B10/11 title since, what, 1967, yes? You do remember the apathy towards Gopher football (dare I say since the Vikings became the darling of the TC media?), yes? Props to Glen Mason for getting the program to be relevant again. However, relevant isn't good enough anymore. B10/11 titles and National Championships are the goal. So what is wrong with telling your fan base (and your opponents) that the goal at Minnesota is no longer 'being relevant' or just being 'good enough - it's now Rose Bowl?? How do you expect big time recruits to consider much less come to Minnesota to play if we don't have big time goals and aspirations?

Brewster did not say it would happen overnight. He needs time to get his players in place and he's only had two recruiting classes to do so - and NO, I do not and will not count the Feb 2007 class as Brewster's - that was Mason's class, as Brewster only had c. 3 weeks after being hired to (1) keep Mason's recruits and (2) try to convince some big time recruits from MN to stay home. He campaigned for an upgraded schedule to put Minnesota back on the national scene and make Gopher football "relevant" again. There are risks to this strategy. While we may have more talent and have more depth, our schedule this year is much harder than last year. Will we be an improved team? Unquestionably. Will that improvement lead to more Ws this year? That's the goal, but games aren't played on an Internet board, they're played on the gridiron.

Ultimately, Coach Brew will need to "walk the talk" and back-up that talk - on that you and I agree. That said, he has (in my view) two more years to prove himself. He's done a great job of improving the talent level and in infusing the football program with confidence and enthusiasm. He's made mistakes - I do to, as I'm sure you do as well. The key is to learn from those mistakes and not repeat them, for those who fail to remember are doomed to repeat them.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post!!! You accurately assessed the reasons why I don't understand people for getting on Brewster for being energetic and upbeat about what he wants and plans to do with the program.

I don't know anything about Rotundo's previous posts, but in this case I basically agree with what he said. I'm a supporter of Brewster at this point, but his record is his record and, after two seasons, his record doesn't match his rhetoric. While I'm OK with that for now (two seasons is a short time) and am optimistic about his future as our coach and our program as a whole, I can see how our rival fans would jump all over him.

What part of "Our goal is to win a BigTen championship, sooner than later" don't people understand. If a coaches and teams goal isn't to win the BigTen, and most seasons go to the Rosebowl (save rules changes), then I'm not sure I want that guy coaching the Gophers. That should be every team in the conferences goal. Don't you think that Purdue, and Indiana are also seriously training toward that goal. They're not paying attention to polls. I bet they are busting their a$$es to achieve that goal.

Whew! So there. Now I feel better.:p

What part of "Our goal is to win a BigTen championship, sooner than later" don't people understand. If a coaches and teams goal isn't to win the BigTen, and most seasons go to the Rosebowl (save rules changes), then I'm not sure I want that guy coaching the Gophers. That should be every team in the conferences goal. Don't you think that Purdue, and Indiana are also seriously training toward that goal. They're not paying attention to polls. I bet they are busting their a$$es to achieve that goal.

Whew! So there. Now I feel better.:p

Absolutely!

Why don't these jerks (I feel a little like Sid now) who make fun of championship bowl games as goals, go make fun of basketball coaches who have their team go through a net cutting down ceremony at the start of practice, etc.... Who cares if they have ever won a championship or not....that's the goal...period! And it needs to be talked about, and the team needs to believe they can accomplish it. There is no room for negativity if you are a head coach or player who truly wants to be the best...

You really can't take the Hawkeye fans seriously. I mean all they have is to take pot shots at us, they really have nothing to brag about. Yes their football team has been more successful than ours, but really......they have 5 Big Ten Championship since 1960 and we have 2. All of these have been shared championships except for 1 by Iowa in 1985. It's not like they have won any National Championships in this time period. Their overall athletic program is putrid. Some success in football and wrestling is all they have. Would I love to have their success in football yes, but would I trade our athletic program to have it no. Our football program will have success, this is Brewters second FULL year....give the guy time and he will get it done. Then the Hawkeye fans will have to find something else to spend their time on.

some of you need to grow thicker skin. That site is supposed to be a funny blog that makes fun of everyone including the iowa hawkeyes. There have been insults to the iowa bball program and the football arrests and I have rarely even looked at it. If you cant take a few jokes, I think the internet is too serious for some of you. Nice timeframe there by the way rickman. All 5 of those championships for the hawkeyes have been since 1980 while its been 41 years since Minnesota has even sniffed a co-championship. Brings up another question. If hawkeye fans have nothing better to do, why then are you linking a hawkeye blog onto the minnesota site. What better things do you have going on? Myself, I am a senior in college that is passing time on my one day off until I hang out with friends later tonight. Whats your excuse?

I'm not ignorant. There are a lot of douchebag hawkeye fans but those kind of people represent every fanbase. If you guys would like to have some friendly banter on teams as opposed to namecalling and/or insults, I am all ears. Stadium is looking great by the way.

Lets see, why would I post this hawkeye forum link on here?!? Well I definetly have never been to a CornHawk forum other than on rivals. That original link was left by some Ioweee troll on the Rivals.com Gophers Blog, so I brought it over here to show a prime example of why I cant stand most Ioweee fans. I can take a joke, but its the big headed, arrogance of most Squak fans that I cant stand.

http://minnesota.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=203&tid=130709708&mid=130709708&sid=935&style=2

"Its 2:00 am on the left coast..."

Wow dem dere Iowa fans is edjumicated gud.

It's ok, I too often get confused between East and West. That shit is confusing!

BHGP

It's a humor-based blog. And it's probably right behind EDSBS for the funniest one out there. I don't think we should walk in there and expect a hug. They lampoon everyone in the Big Televen, anyway.

Folks here have to lighten up. That blog is pretty funny. You have to admit that Brewster has given opposing fans some pretty good ammo during his tenure. If someone here had the same creativity and posted it, Gopherholers would be laughing about it for weeks on end.

some of you need to grow thicker skin. That site is supposed to be a funny blog that makes fun of everyone including the iowa hawkeyes. There have been insults to the iowa bball program and the football arrests and I have rarely even looked at it. If you cant take a few jokes, I think the internet is too serious for some of you. Nice timeframe there by the way rickman. All 5 of those championships for the hawkeyes have been since 1980 while its been 41 years since Minnesota has even sniffed a co-championship. Brings up another question. If hawkeye fans have nothing better to do, why then are you linking a hawkeye blog onto the minnesota site. What better things do you have going on? Myself, I am a senior in college that is passing time on my one day off until I hang out with friends later tonight. Whats your excuse?

I'm not ignorant. There are a lot of douchebag hawkeye fans but those kind of people represent every fanbase. If you guys would like to have some friendly banter on teams as opposed to namecalling and/or insults, I am all ears. Stadium is looking great by the way.

I always appreciate your posts because you act like a real human being. And in this case I agree. The facts are that Iowa has been far better than us in FB over the last 20 years. Not every single year but in general. Their program has been successful. However the real truth of it is that there isn't much going on in Iowa and not much there for Iowans to brag about. This is not a flame, its simply stating a fact that the football team is something to be proud of but they have no pro teams and nothing cultural or social that they're known for and have no large cities. I really think this is why there are way more Iowa flamers than MN or WI flamers. I mean you have Iowa fans go on boards and pretend to be Gopher fans and say dumb things to piss other fan bases off. Its pretty ridiculous to be honest To the original post, I honestly could care less about the opinion of anyone who takes hours to flame someone like that blogger.

It is kind of ironic that:

1) Many of us bemoan the fact we can't get as strong of a following as we'd like because we're in a pro sports town. Some have even said they'd like to see the Vikings leave, suggesting it would help the Gopher program. They say someday maybe we'd get full media attention, constant sellouts, a large, passionate fanbase, and kids who grow up here never dreaming of leaving the state to play college football.

2) Yet, many of us also make fun of Iowa fans because they have nothing else to do so they cheer for their team and that's it. But that leads to exactly what many of us want our program to have. They have full media attention, constant sellouts, a large, passionate fanbase, and kids growing up there that dream of being Hawkeyes and never looking outside of the borders.

It is kind of ironic that:

1) Many of us bemoan the fact we can't get as strong of a following as we'd like because we're in a pro sports town. Some have even said they'd like to see the Vikings leave, suggesting it would help the Gopher program. They say someday maybe we'd get full media attention, constant sellouts, a large, passionate fanbase, and kids who grow up here never dreaming of leaving the state to play college football.

2) Yet, many of us also make fun of Iowa fans because they have nothing else to do so they cheer for their team and that's it. But that leads to exactly what many of us want our program to have. They have full media attention, constant sellouts, a large, passionate fanbase, and kids growing up there that dream of being Hawkeyes and never looking outside of the borders.

:clap:

Top Bottom