Iowa Fans Going After Gopher Football Players, It's How "Floyd of Rosedale" Came to Be

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score
After Iowa got beaten badly by the Gophers in 1934, in 1935 the Iowa football fans, including Iowa's governor, threatened the Gopher football players and coaches. The morning of the game (which was being played that year in Iowa), the Minnesota governor, Floyd Olson, tried cooling things down by sending a telegram to the Iowa governor saying, “Minnesota folks are excited over your statement about Iowa crowds lynching the Minnesota football team. I have assured them that you are a law-abiding gentlemen and are only trying to get our goat. I will bet you a Minnesota prize hog against an Iowa prize hog that Minnesota wins.” And thus, Floyd was born. We won that 1935 game, so the initial Floyd was ours. At first, Floyd was a live pig, which later was replaced by the statue that now resides where it belongs, back in Minnesota.

So, to wrap this up, Iowa fans still are trash (and they throw trash), and we have Floyd.

After Iowa got beaten badly by the Gophers in 1934, in 1935 the Iowa football fans, including Iowa's governor, threatened the Gopher football players and coaches. The morning of the game (which was being played that year in Iowa), the Minnesota governor, Floyd Olson, tried cooling things down by sending a telegram to the Iowa governor saying, “Minnesota folks are excited over your statement about Iowa crowds lynching the Minnesota football team. I have assured them that you are a law-abiding gentlemen and are only trying to get our goat. I will bet you a Minnesota prize hog against an Iowa prize hog that Minnesota wins.” And thus, Floyd was born. We won that 1935 game, so the initial Floyd was ours. At first, Floyd was a live pig, which later was replaced by the statue that now resides where it belongs, back in Minnesota.

So, to wrap this up, Iowa fans still are trash (and they throw trash), and we have Floyd.
Does the trash on the field include the team that you beat?

You are leaving out a bit of context surrounding the 1934 game.

You are leaving out a bit of context surrounding the 1934 game.
But that story is clearly BS.

What's more likely, in 1934, the state of Iowa noticed MN players hitting the lone African American Iowa football player harder than the others and in an act of courage and racial progressivism became martyrs to the racial cause OR Iowa fans acted like idiots when their team lost?

I'm sure 30 years from now, we'll hear how those idiots threw beer on the field in act of defiance against global warming. Maybe Lois Feldman became princess of urinals to end global hunger.

What's more likely, in 1934, the state of Iowa noticed MN players hitting the lone African American Iowa football player harder than the others and in an act of courage and racial progressivism became martyrs to the racial cause OR Iowa fans acted like idiots when their team lost?

I'm sure 30 years from now, we'll hear how those idiots threw beer on the field in act of defiance against global warming. Maybe Lois Feldman became princess of urinals to end global hunger.
The whole racism angle is history revision - it wasn't part of the initial newspaper coverage. BTW, the original pig, the one before the 1935 game, is a wood sign that's lived in MN ever since that 1935 game.

Clearly BS, huh? Interesting take on events from 90 years ago. It isn't like violence toward black athletes wasn't a thing in those days. There is the Jack Trice story after all. It doesn't really matter, other than there was more to the story than just allegations that Iowa fans planing on lynching Minnesota's team. At least one of the coolest sports trophies was created out the the situation, whatever that situation was.

Top Bottom