Iowa fans are pure class....

DiehardGopher

Reaction score
This is two posts from their board.

"A family friend of ours wearing Michigan gear was slugged in the face while sitting in section 104 of Kinnick stadium last night. Apparently they were cheering too much after the early pick six by Stanzi. I was totally embarassed by the action of two Iowa fans in their 30's who first verbally confronted a college kid and then slugged his father in the face after the father tried to defuse the situation. These Iowa fans weren't even drunk so don't use that as the excuse for these idiots. My family are die hard Hawkeye fans that take many road trips including into Madison, but we have never seen that kind of behavior on the road. Needless to say, we were embarassed by this incident and felt horrible as the dad just kept repeating, "I'll never come back here again." Happened in Section 104, Row 40, Seat 1-4. I hope these type of people are not season ticketholders. We went from being really excited after a big win to being nauseated and ashamed of how our friends were treated in the stadium that we love. I know that this sort of thing is not common, but I have seen and heard of many other incidents of poor Hawkeye fan behavior. I do not consider these types of fans as Hawkeyes even if they are wearing Black & Gold. They are not worthy of sitting in Kinnick Stadium."

And then there is this

"my family has had tickets for 40+ years, but saturday I sat with some friends from out of town using another family friend's season tickets. we were in section 136, row 15, in the last four seats on the aisle. i was in our seat furthest from the aisle and about 5 minutes in the game, the guy next to me starts screaming at us for pushing him. it was almost surreal- he was ranting about respecting the season ticket holders and how he is sick of other people using my family friends season tickets.

we kept telling him to relax and that we werent trying to be annoying (we are all decent sized guys but not obese taking up multiple seats or anything). the thing is he was screaming at no one in particular as he refused to make eye contact with me even though i was sitting literally right next to him. he went on and on about him being a 11-year season ticket holder (roughly 1/3 of my tenure, FYI) and how we needed to respect him. i stood up and showed him that i was exactly where i was allowed to sit and that he needed to quit being a baby. then his wife/gf starts yelling at us and thats where i draw the line. i am a very collected person, but he would not stop yelling and it got to the point where i honestly thought he was going to physically attack someone, so i got a little more aggressive in telling him to shut up by turning toward him to the point and talking directly to him where i could have dropped him if necessary. he eventually calmed down as iowa started driving to score their first TD. now, i look young and dress young, but i am a married, 32 year old professional who has missed about 10 games in my entire life. i dont know if he thought he could intimidate us or what but it was embarrassing as a hawk fan.

this is after the 75-ish guy behind us SCREAMED at us to sit down literally one second after the opening kickoff, before anyone in front if us had even sat down yet. combine this with the drunken late 30's women who know nothing about football screaming during every play, the drunk idiots harrassing the UM fans in our section, and these jokers, the game was a major disappointment to me.

perhaps I am getting old and boring, or maybe i should sack up and buy a club ticket if i dont want to deal with it, but the gameday experience gets worse for me every year. i am an iowa alum, a fourth generation hawk, a die-hard, one of my parents is even on the alumni association board of directors and its almost to the point that I would rather sit at home in front of my TV. thank god we keep winning."

Now, I know we are not perfect. No fan base is, but at least we don't have this happening in our stadium.

Now, I know we are not perfect. No fan base is, but at least we don't have this happening in our stadium.

Are you honestly sure about that? I'm sure someone during the Wisky game faced treatment just like that. Isolated to be sure, but speaking in absolutes when talking about a crowd 50,000 fans is putting your own glass house at risk.

Peoples attachment to "their football team" and how they behave at games is a really strange aspect of human behavior. I am sure some Wisconsin fans felt like they were abused at TCF to some degree although all the interaction I saw was tame. In all my travels I have found Iowa fans are the worst I have seen and that covers every Big Ten stadium and about ten SEC/Pac10/B12 stadiums. Nebraska fans and Ole Miss fans are the best btw.

The Iowa-UW game this weekend could be pretty hostile in the stands although it being a morning game might keep the lid on things.

Peoples attachment to "their football team" and how they behave at games is a really strange aspect of human behavior. I am sure some Wisconsin fans felt like they were abused at TCF to some degree although all the interaction I saw was tame. In all my travels I have found Iowa fans are the worst I have seen and that covers every Big Ten stadium and about ten SEC/Pac10/B12 stadiums. Nebraska fans and Ole Miss fans are the best btw.

The Iowa-UW game this weekend could be pretty hostile in the stands although it being a morning game might keep the lid on things.

There is no such thing as a lid on things when you combine drunken sconnies with redneck hawkeye fans....Jim Doyle might want to have the national guard on call just in case...

Ok, sorry my post wasn't perfectly worded. What it should have said was "at least I have never heard of this happening at our stadium."

It really is the redneck factor, the more rednecks, the more problems.

I have to say that after going to a game at Virginia Tech that they are at or near the top of the list of fans that are polite and respectful to the opposing fans. I lost count of how many people said "Welcome to Va Tech" and had several buying our group drinks the night before the game in Blacksburg. They also had to best entrance that I have ever seen for a team.

But, according to Bronko, you have had that happen in your stadium, in fact he was quite pleased about it because it was against Wisconsin. Then there is the 'fan participation' in the brawl against Ohio State and, of course the drunken behavior after the two hockey national championships.

Next time try to be more honest in your posts. Say something like "Now I know we're not perfect but I just like to rip on Iowa."

And now you can resume and rip on Iowa.

Way to pick out one fight that happened in basketball in 1972 and riots that happened after winning national championships in hockey. Unless I am mistaken, riots happen outside of the venues in which the game is held and involves destroying property, not punching opposing teams fans in the stands of a run-of-the-mill night game against a big ten team with nothing riding on it (like a national championship).

It's hard to imagine the Iowa fans could take time off from having sex in the restrooms to get in a fight with anyone.

I was actually at Kinnick and witnessed the whole thing!

The best part was when the Michigan fan fought back, driving a chair leg into the eye socket of the Iowa fan.

The Iowa fan base does have a disproportionate number of trashy fans. I sympathize with their normal fans and decent alumni. True story here:

At last year's game in the dome, there were several Iowa fans sitting as a group behind us in the upper deck. We heard splatter, and looked around to see two men urinating in front of themselves while they sat in their seats. They were distracted by people looking, and one of them accidentally urinated on the other's foot. They found that to be hilarious. Another in the group fell asleep and vomited on himself. Having a night game on a Saturday when the visiting fans weren't used to big city excitement was a horrible idea. An 11 AM game would have prevented most of the problems, as they wouldn't have had as much time to drink themselves into a semi-coma before the game.

I'm not knocking Iowa fans in general, just the ones that create the reputation. Every school will have some wingnut fans, but some have more than others.

Top Bottom