Iowa: did I get this right?

Actually it was a foul. Even the UConn admitted that this screen was illegal (but should not have been called)

Actually it was a foul. Even the UConn admitted that this screen was illegal (but should not have been called)
I think she blocked better than most of the UConn offensive line on that screen

I thought it was a weak foul. She did have her arms up but wasn't moving very much, that's basketball for you.

I will admit the Iowa invalid signal call was peculiar, but its legit! Now can we get back to back wins against them? God I hope so.

It was a BS call at that time in the game. Many NBA and WNBA player were appalled by the call.
Nearly all have since come out to admit they were wrong, after seeing the additional views of the obvious moving screen.

Edwards was literally running around the half court trying to block Marshall like a tight end on a linebacker. The refs let a moving screen go uncallled a second before it got so egregious they simply had to call it.

This gets back to the bigger issue of "the refs deciding the game."

Look, if an official believes they see a foul or penalty occurring, they should call it - no matter what the score or situation of the game.

But, some people seem to think that a ref should take the game situation into account and overlook marginal penalties in those situations. as in "swallowing the whistle." which leaves the question - the difference between a marginal penalty and a blatant penalty is still a judgement call.

here's my thought on the basketball game - the refs had been calling illegal screens during the game. the coach should be warning the players - "hey, they're calling the moving screen really tight. be careful when you're setting screens." but a lot of teams are unwilling or unable to make adjustments based on the officiating. like in a football game - if the refs call a bunch of holding penalties early in a game, the players have to be smart enough to realize that and adjust their technique.

It was a BS call at that time in the game. Many NBA and WNBA player were appalled by the call.

To me, an internet nobody troll the call was correct, even if it benefitted Iowa. Fans get habituated to officials “letting them play” and not being anywhere close to consistent in enforcing rules of the game. Then, when a proper foul is called people go ape**** not the least of which former pro players that played under horrible officiating their entire careers and don’t seem to understand the rules themselves or arguing eg time of game is important, like that matters.

Change the rule features or components or insert a time of game feature enforceability clause if it isn’t widely enforced or supported or only enforceable in the first 50 minutes…too difficult?

Last edited:

This reminds me of the KC Chiefs offsides late in the season where Mahomes couldn't believe they would make the call and take away a great play by him, Kelcy, and the Kadarius Toney, even though it was clear that the Toney lined up offside. He didn't argue that Toney was onside but rather that the official shouldn't call offside in that situation.

Nearly all have since come out to admit they were wrong, after seeing the additional views of the obvious moving screen.

Edwards was literally running around the half court trying to block Marshall like a tight end on a linebacker. The refs let a moving screen go uncallled a second before it got so egregious they simply had to call it.

I'm in the camp that it was a foul 100%. Ref made the right call whether you like it or not. Much emotion comes into play with these calls.

I thought it was a weak foul. She did have her arms up but wasn't moving very much, that's basketball for you.

I will admit the Iowa invalid signal call was peculiar, but its legit! Now can we get back to back wins against them? God I hope so.
It was an obvious foul call. She stepped into the Iowa player with an extended leg and displaced her with her leg and elbow. And I’m not an Iowa fan.

FYI to all the posters. A moving screen is not illegal UNLESS THERE IS CONTACT.

The fact that Iowa played today in the championship means more money for the Gopher athletic department. Each B1G team could benefit up to $5 million for all the B1G women’s in the tourney.

I hate the "let the players decide the game" line when it is used to mean have the refs arbitrarily decide when to call or not to call stuff. Reffing is a hard enough job when you are just trying to figure out the right call in real time, they shouldn't also need to evaluate some "should I make that call in this game situation" standard, which usually divides fans along their team rooting interests.

Where that argument may annoy me most is baseball. I heard some talking head on the radio say one benefit to having human umps call balls and strikes because they know to be generous to the hitter on 0-2 counts so that the "players decide the at bat." Seems to me, if a pitcher nails his corner on an 0-2 pitch and freezes the hitter, the players did decide that at bat.

This reminds me of the KC Chiefs offsides late in the season where Mahomes couldn't believe they would make the call and take away a great play by him, Kelcy, and the Kadarius Toney, even though it was clear that the Toney lined up offside. He didn't argue that Toney was onside but rather that the official shouldn't call offside in that situation.
The best part about that situation is people acted like the ref shouldn't have thrown the flag because of what happened on the play. As if the ref is supposed to know what's going to happen seconds later and then throw the flag only if it isn't a big play. The flag has to be thrown immediately, not after the play.

The difference between something like that and a foul in basketball is that the play is immediately stopped so you can't see what happens next.

It was 100% the right call. You have to call it when it's that egregious.

In my opinion, a foul in the closing minutes of a game should be OBVIOUS to most everyone. The KC off sides was a penalty. The example of "taking 4 steps" is a travel. So on.

Here is my issue with this call. If you slow it down, it is obviously a charge - she was not set. In real time - it is not quite so clear. This coming from a guy who played and coached for 40+ years.

There were only 5 offensive fouls called in the entire game. 3 were blatantly obvious.

It was a physical game. If you were to look closely, there were dozens more blocking fouls that should have been called for the same type of "not set" movement that resulted in this particular call. (Watch the pin down screens for Clark at the free throw line. Rarely were the Iowa girls set for the "one step" requirement defined in the rule)

So for me, it is a consistency thing. If that level of "moving screen" had not been consistently called all through the game, then it should have been called at the end. But it was not. So it should have been - play on.

This thread renews my faith in Gopherhole. If you read some posts regarding Iowa on the basketball forums, it seems like several posters would prefer to change the chant to: "Who has an occasional dislike for Iowa (only under certain circumstances; otherwise, they're great!)"

They also believe you don’t have to dribble inside the 3 pt line.

Yes it was. And Dejean also clearly made an invalid fair catch signal. That's the simple point.

In my opinion, a foul in the closing minutes of a game should be OBVIOUS to most everyone. The KC off sides was a penalty. The example of "taking 4 steps" is a travel. So on.

Here is my issue with this call. If you slow it down, it is obviously a charge - she was not set. In real time - it is not quite so clear. This coming from a guy who played and coached for 40+ years.

There were only 5 offensive fouls called in the entire game. 3 were blatantly obvious.

It was a physical game. If you were to look closely, there were dozens more blocking fouls that should have been called for the same type of "not set" movement that resulted in this particular call. (Watch the pin down screens for Clark at the free throw line. Rarely were the Iowa girls set for the "one step" requirement defined in the rule)

So for me, it is a consistency thing. If that level of "moving screen" had not been consistently called all through the game, then it should have been called at the end. But it was not. So it should have been - play on.
In real time from the better angle it was still very obvious. It didn't seem obvious on TV because the angles they initially showed were bad.

To me if they don't call that an illegal screen, then there really isn't such thing as an illegal screen. If it was only one thing she did wrong, then I can understand the complaint about the call. But she committed an illegal screen in 3 different ways.

I think she blocked better than most of the UConn offensive line on that screen
Indeed. In this case it reminded me a little more like a receiver coming down and executing an illegal 'crack back' block.

Top Bottom